Notices

Has anyone taken medication?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone taken medication?

I was just wondering if anyone has been prescribed medication at the start of their sobriety? I'm calling the doctor tomorrow...it's time.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HVACRGirl

Welcome

I have never taken any meds for my alcoholism or my withdrawal, so I have no experience to offer.

I know many have though - and I'm sure others will want to share their experiences with you...but we can't definitively recommend anything here, as it's against our policy to give out medical advice.

Ultimately the best idea is to discuss things honestly and openly with your Dr, and see what they suggest

D
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome and your reply.

Just so anyone that reads this aware, I am not asking or expecting medical recomendations, (I respect the policies of the forum) I was just wondering if they still use medications. I don't hear much about them anymore.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My experience mirrors Dee's and we both have been
sober for years.
No meds used for de tox or my alcoholism.

There are some AA members I know who take meds
for various chronic mental conditions. That allows them
to be both balanced and sober.

I think checking with your doctor is wise.
Good for you!

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some doctors believe that a person should be sober for a couple of months before deciding if pharmacological treatment is necessary. Others believe that a more aggressive approach is the way to go. Ultimately, the decision is up to you and your doctor.

My experience:
Under the care of my psychiatrist, I've been taking different medications to treat depression since the beginning of my recovery - I was weary of taking them but, after a thorough evaluation, my doc determined that my depression pre-dated my alcohol abuse; I now agree with her 100%, as sobriety *dramatically* improved my mental health, but I still needed an extra nudge.

My long term goal is to be med-free, and I'm devoting a lot of effort in that direction. In my experience, meds are certainly not a cure-all, but they have definitely evened out the field.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take a sleep medication (I have had overnight sleep tests in the hospital) and I also take an anti anxiety med If needed.

Funny thing is... I hardy take any anxiety meds compared to what I used to take while I was drinking. I never expected that result but very happy about it nonetheless.

All of the best in your recovery ;-)
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
after a thorough evaluation, my doc determined that my depression pre-dated my alcohol abuse; I now agree with her 100%, as sobriety *dramatically* improved my mental health, but I still needed an extra nudge.
Sorry to quote myself, but I want to clarify something regarding the "nudge" thing: I suffered from depression long before I began drinking, but I was unaware of it at the time. Alcohol made the situation unbelievably worse, however the degree to which it compounded to my pre-existing depression is impossible to determine.

Many people find that working a recovery programme is enough when it comes to clearing up situational issues. In my case, after some months of sustained sobriety (and recovery work), it was clear that my depression was not situational, so the meds stayed. This might all sound like semantics, but IMHO making an accurate distinction is very important, and a doctor's unbiased evaluation is usually invaluable.

Whatever the case, seeing a doctor certainly won't hurt. Please keep us posted
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

I didn't use any meds when I sobered up, but some people do. I know that with most of them it's only to supplement the recovery work you're doing outside of the chemicals, like counseling, meetings, rehab etc..
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thank you all for your replies, and as always thank you for your support.

Mattcake, your onto something there, I have been treating PTSD and depression for years with alcohol and drugs...like Dr. Phil says..."How's that workin' for ya?" Well, it isn't. Off to the hypno.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't use any medication for detoxing or stopping alcohol, but I needed anti-depressants in order to recover. My depression began decades before my drinking and alcohol was my way of self-medicating.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't use meds when I quit and the anti-anxiety med prescribed was short term and sadly it was at the peak of my drinking. Prior to drinking I never had anxiety problems.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't take any meds for detox; however, my doctor prescribed me Campral to help with the drinking urges (it seemed to work pretty well for me) and Zoloft for anxiety. He also gave me a prescription for Librium to sleep, but I never filled that one.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HVACRGirl View Post
Mattcake, your onto something there, I have been treating PTSD and depression for years with alcohol and drugs...like Dr. Phil says..."How's that workin' for ya?" Well, it isn't. Off to the hypno.
PTSD is an unbelievably complex condition; fortunately, there are many options available to treat it successfully - as you've discovered, using alcohol and drugs is definitely *not* one of them ;-)... in fact, some mental health practitioners believe that alcohol abuse is traumatic in itself. And, needless to say, doing drugs and booze will only exacerbate pre-existing PTSD to the umpteenth degree.

I urge you to consult MHPs to determine ways in which your PTSD can be approached and treated.. and I wish you well in your journey. Reach out a lot, you're not alone
Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I spent some time with the Doc today, we together decided no meds for detox but tomorrow when I see the MHP we will discuss treating my PTSD, depression, etc.

And I'm sure there's some ETC.

Thanks again everyone! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to see you reached out to your Dr. to look into treating these underlying health issues while keeping strong in your recovery.

Hopefully, everything will fall into place.

All the best and keep on posting.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was put on some meds as I was an emotional mess that needed some healing and work. I am no longer on them today as I worked my program and do not need them any longer. The best way to explain the "need" for them is they help stabilize you so you can work on yourself.

If you are going to start a program, listen to what they tell you and take the suggestions. I now work in recovery, am going back to school to get my degree so I can be a professional within the recovery community and I'm doing it because I KNOW IT WORKS!!!!!

I wish you the very, very best on your journey. Welcome to SR as well. This is one of the best support systems you'll have too. This place has been my sober internet family since 2008 and I love it here!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Id be guided by professionals as to whether you need meds or not. You found a program of recovery you will be be using to get sober yet?