Notices

Hangover

Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover

Hi all,

My hangovers are getting much worse - feeling really depressed all day and over analysing everything. I hate it and really want to stop. My nights out last 2 days straight on a weekend without sleep just drink and end up falling over and being someone I don't like. Not nasty or abusive to anyone just really pissed and stupid but acting like someone I am not.

I am graduating in a month and it is effecting my Uni work. I want to stop drinking for good at the moment, but know in 2 days time i will feel better and get on it agian. But don't want to. I like not having hangovers and feel great in the week with exercise and working toward something that's the person I like not the drunk or the hangover person I can become.

Would you say I have a problem?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If YOU think you have a problem, you probably do. I keep the memory of my last relapse fresh in my mind so I'll never forget how badly drinking makes me feel and how it was destroying my life. Have you thought about joining a recovery program like AA or another program? Having face to face support can be very helpful in staying sober. I see a counselor once a week too and find that very necessary to stay sober.

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are the only one who can say whether or not you have a problem.

I hope that you decide to stop drinking and to live a sober life. There is lots of support here.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would say I have a problem.... I'm not relient on it but I do not no when to say no. I think it's also tied in with the city and social groups I see when I'm out. They all drink a lot as well. I don't get that bad every time I go out but once is enough for me! I have thought about it..... I'm might give it a go - If i'm thinking about staying off drink then that to me means that I need to end my affair with drink. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would suggest you try for a Sober Weekend, doing other activities you enjoy...when Monday comes you'll be fresh and rested to prepare for your classes...make a comparison about how you feel after that as opposed to the anxiety and sick feeling after a 2 day BINGE...

I 'm guessing you are a younger person, please think about taking control before it becomes harder...no one is lying when they say that alcoholism is a PROGRESSIVE disease.

welcome too!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by houseoftrousers View Post
Hi all,

My hangovers are getting much worse - feeling really depressed all day and over analysing everything. I hate it and really want to stop. My nights out last 2 days straight on a weekend without sleep just drink and end up falling over and being someone I don't like. Not nasty or abusive to anyone just really pissed and stupid but acting like someone I am not.

I am graduating in a month and it is effecting my Uni work. I want to stop drinking for good at the moment, but know in 2 days time i will feel better and get on it agian. But don't want to. I like not having hangovers and feel great in the week with exercise and working toward something that's the person I like not the drunk or the hangover person I can become.

Would you say I have a problem?

Thanks
Welcome!!!

No, today I would not. You probably know the answer to the question anyways, and myself, have discovered the hard way the utter futility of trying to convince someone else that they have a problem.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I would say you need to look deep into your reasons for drinking. I started young and it progressively got worse. Alcoholism is progressive and if you can stop it now then you have a lot of great life left. I only wish I gave it up when I was younger, but at least its gone now. Good luck to you!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Congratulations on your upcoming Uni graduation
and for being aware of what you need to do.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, houseoftrousers

Like others have said, if you think it's a problem, it generally is.
From all you've posted, I think your decision to 'give it a go' is a good one

D
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I could have written that post of yours a few years back. That was my experience with drinking too.

In my experience it never gets any better but always worse if you continue to drink. I relate to what you say a lot. I am am alcoholic. I too was a binge-drinker like yourself, but once you start drinking solidy over two days and are experiencing the 'mental' side of it like you appear to be, then often there is no way back to controlled, moderated, 'happy' drinking. Drink will just take you down into the gutter eventually if you continue.

I had to truly accept I was an alcoholic until I stood a chance of getting out of that rut that you appear to be in with drinking. Until I truly acceped that, then I would be back out drinking again within a week or two. Back to square one again. Apart from it's progressive, so it always gets worse, never better.

It is possible to get sober in your 20's in UK but it sure isn't easy as it takes a total overhaul of your life to dedicate it totally to sobriety. My sobriety is the most important thing in my life, as without that then I would be back in that same rut you speak of. I remember the hopeless feelings well. The resignation to the fact that I knew I'd be back doing exactly the same thing only a few days later, really crap place to be at.

The only solution for me was to accept that I'm an alcoholic, totally commit to sobriety, realise that I must never take the first drink as that's the one that will kill me, and get 'working' on my recovery. It ain't easy at times but it's the only way for this alcoholic.

I got sober at 23 and I am 24 now. 9+ months sober. I was on the merry-go-round for a good few years. In a similar place to where you appear to be at now. It never got any better but was robbing me of a lot of things... self-respect being high up on the list.

All The Best.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I wish you the best.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies everyone.

Feeling a bit low today, think that is just to do with dissapointment in myself for messing up agian. Also, the massive amount of work I have to do in such a short amount of time but I'll start it today and troop on. Can't lose my degree.