Notices

Procrastination

Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Procrastination

Does anyone else here see procrastination in the same light as alcoholism or addiction in general? I ask because I find myself battling the urge to "put it off till tomorrow" all the time. In fact, I would say that it takes more effort to push through and take action than it does to resist drinking; it's a very deeply ingrained habit with me.

I quoted another member in my signature, who said that procrastination was a dysfunctional coping mechanism like drinking, because it really resonated with me. I have a head full of ideas, but I often feel helpless in realizing any of them because I worry that I will give up somehow along the way. I have been considering this alot more this last week, as I have worked to stay away from drinking.

Any input is appreciated.

Rev
Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hate putting things off. Especially those things that I finally get done and say to myself well that was not as bad as I thought. I ask myself what causes this, "Am I afraid?" I wish that when I need to do something that I could put half as much energy into that as I did when I needed to find a drink, anything necessary to get that first drink, especially in the morning.
Hope to check back in a little while to read some responses.
Thanks
Dean
Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a problem with procrastination. Lot's of things drive that bus. Hm, coping mechanism... yea, but for me, the only coping mechanism I can see in procrastination is avoidance. Which, truth be told, is my problem.

Early in sobriety I was so uncomfortable that I would hole up, with a computer or music or movies..... Whatever to take my mind off.... Then I had a resentment stage in recovery... kind of a long one... resentment at what I had let my life situation become... and resentment fueled my procrastination, and maybe some of that still exists.... Finally, that's the way I have always been, for some but not all tasks...

Procrastination, for me, not anyone else, I can't speak for others... Procrastination is part of my self centeredness... I have to keep working on it.

Mark
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always had a problem with procrastination, but have found it's getting better since I stopped drinking. Things I push off are generally things that make me anxious (finances, anything dealing with strangers that I need to do alone) or things that will bore me to death and flat out do not want to do. Anxiety, if it becomes bad enough, drives me to want to drink. Lately I've been forcing myself to not procrastinate so that I don't become so anxious that I drink.

Forcing myself to deal with situations I normally would procrastinate on has not been easy, but I feel so rewarded and proud of myself when I take the bull by the horns and deal with life instead of pushing it until tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

http:///lifelongactivist.com/writing...rocrastination

This writer has an intelligent, sane and insightful approach to overcoming procrastination and other hurdles like perfectionism. She directs herself mostly to creative people like writers and artists, but her principles apply really well to everyone, I think. I have big problems in these areas myself and am trying to make progress.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by FuzzyFatSacks View Post
I've always had a problem with procrastination, but have found it's getting better since I stopped drinking. Things I push off are generally things that make me anxious (finances, anything dealing with strangers that I need to do alone) or things that will bore me to death and flat out do not want to do. Anxiety, if it becomes bad enough, drives me to want to drink. Lately I've been forcing myself to not procrastinate so that I don't become so anxious that I drink.

Forcing myself to deal with situations I normally would procrastinate on has not been easy, but I feel so rewarded and proud of myself when I take the bull by the horns and deal with life instead of pushing it until tomorrow.
Good Lord! I've been cloned!!

I could have written that, word for word. Thanks.

Rev
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by 2manyBobs View Post
Overcome Procrastination | Hillary Rettig

This writer has an intelligent, sane and insightful approach to overcoming procrastination and other hurdles like perfectionism. She directs herself mostly to creative people like writers and artists, but her principles apply really well to everyone, I think. I have big problems in these areas myself and am trying to make progress.
There's an extra forward slash (/) in your address that's undermining the link. I fixed it here, but you might want to edit your post.

Also, thanks for the article. I'm going to go read it now.

Rev
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also agree that I have become a terrible procrastinator but I know most of that lies in the drinking.....There is always tomorrow. Yup that became the attitude. I find that being sober has kinda forced me to get up and to take charge. It is so hard for me but when I am finished and I look at my day, I just feel so accomplished and proud and relieved that it is done.

Kim
Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah Rev, I fight procrastination myself. Not doing something & having sit in my mind as another thing can do causes me stress. I have been working on Top 10 things to do daily list lately & it has helped me to get things done & not worry about what needs to be done as I have a nice simple list to follow (crossing things off is also great ;-)

I find if I just start something I am good to go in regards to finishing it, its all of the "thinking about it" that gets to me. I try to break it into small bite size pieces then prioritize & get to it.

When the thought of going to the gym didn't thrill me I would tell myself that I would just go for a steam & take it from there, I never did just have a steam ;-)

Cheers,

NB
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From Hillary Rettig, author of the article

Hi Everyone, This is Hillary Rettig, the author of the piece 2manyBobs linked to and said kind words about. I found this link when checking my site stats. Addiction has touched my family in many ways and I have great respect for anyone working on sobriety.

Below are more resources. Unfortunately, the sw isn't letting me post links so you'll have to do a bit of hunting.

On Huffington Post, search on my name and scroll down to find my article on Perfectionism and Addiction. I would welcome any comments, feedback or corrections you have on it.

Also, here are two other relevant links from my site:

Under my Books Menu, The Little Guide to Overcoming Procrastination, Perfectionism and Blocks - a whole free ebook!

Under my Downloads menu, A Simple Exercise for Overcoming Procrastination, Perfectionism and Writer's Block

If you visit my site, please join my mailing list as I regularly post on that topic. I would also be happy sometime to host a chat here or otherwise participate if someone sets it up.

2ManyBobs thank you for your kind, kind words about my work. They made my day.

PS - if someone posts something and I do NOT respond please PM me

Last edited by Dee74; 07-06-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: removed email.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ps the website you should be checking is hillaryrettig dot com not lifelongactivist dot com, which now contains the full text to another book (which you still might find interesting!) Thanks, Hillary
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Procrastination come back to fear as a lot of things do, i like to rationalise and excuse my inaction but it is fear plain and simple...procrastination sounds better though...

Procrastination and inaction is very, very dangerous ground for this drunk because standing still isn't really an option, it's either move forward or back really...life doesn't just stand still around me, whilst i have a good long think about it!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Hillary, welcome to SR

Wow, blast from the past... I have to say that over a year later, I have moved out of procrastination, some... LOL
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Procrastination come back to fear as a lot of things do, i like to rationalise and excuse my inaction but it is fear plain and simple...procrastination sounds better though...

Procrastination and inaction is very, very dangerous ground for this drunk because standing still isn't really an option, it's either move forward or back really...life doesn't just stand still around me, whilst i have a good long think about it!
Hi Yeahgr8, here are some points to keep in mind:

1) "rationalize and excuses" never use that language; it's perfectionist labeling and self-abuse. People's reasons for procrastination are ALWAYS valid, even if procrastination itself is a suboptimal response to them. I can't say that enough - always, 100%. Our fears, scarcity issues, etc., are always justified. Say "reasons" not "excuses" - that is more valid, and more humane - and then don't waste time feeling bad but find out what the reasons are. One of the links I mentioned goes into this more.

2) "a good long think." Many of my writing students, and especially the academics, like to have a good long think before they start writing. One of the things I teach them is to just start writing and think *via* the act of writing. This is actually very effective (because what they think is a good long think is probably mostly fearful avoidance) both in terms of getting them writing and getting a good result.

In her classic book for writers Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott points out that every piece of writing begins with a "****** first draft." That's true of everything we do - start really bad, gradually get less bad, and somewhere along the way (usually much later than perfectionists think it should happen) turn the corner into good.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Hi Hillary, welcome to SR

Wow, blast from the past... I have to say that over a year later, I have moved out of procrastination, some... LOL
Glad to hear it, Mark! And I love the Philo quote.

I will check in again tomorrow night in case anyone else posts.

this place has the best emoticons!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drinking made me procrastinate. I'd put everything off to drink.
When I had a dry spell, things got done. That's just he way it worked.
Now it drives me nuts if I see something amiss I need to fix or unopened mail, anything out of place. I think I've become overly complulsive now. LOL I do not like things in my life to be undone or unorganized.
OH that reminds me...I have unfolded laundry on the bed...gotta go...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lot of great info Hillary! Here's the direct link : Hillary Rettig: Productivity, Life, and Career Coaching, Workshops, and Books

It's here also for future reference : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3026025