Notices

Coming up on 60 days and BAM!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming up on 60 days and BAM!

Got laid off this afternoon :-( The last thing I need is free, idle time on my hands! Last drink was Feb. 20th, still putting my shoulder to the wheel, doing whatever I have to do to keep it that way. But this certainly doesn't help things in the slightest! I kind of saw it coming with my company losing contracts and what not, so I went to a tech job fair last week to get my resume in circulation just in case. I write software for a living and even in my field and education level, it's tough finding a long term job these days. I plan on spending part of the weekend making a schedule for myself where I get up at a normal time, spend a set number of hours reading tech stuff and writing new SW to learn new things to make myself more marketable, exercise every day for an hour or so. I know myself, my biggest weak spot is having to much free time. I need to make a schedule to fill those hours.... Sigh.... No questions or anything, I just needed someplace to vent my extreme frustration at getting laid off on a Friday afternoon with zero notice. Thanks for listening! Looking back, I am _SO_ glad I quit when I did because if I was still drinking now, I would be an absolute basket case within a week or so with no job... Just drink all day to swallow up all that free time... I feel better having come here and writing this, this evening. Getting laid off does NOT mean I get to drink :-( It just means I have to get up and pound sand and find new work.....
Peace,
..Mike
Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah there is NO good time to lose a job, but you are looking at it right. I agree if you were still drinking things would go down hill pretty darn fast. Are you in any program of recovery? That would give you something positive to schedule that would help you meet people with the same goals as you in the recovery field any ways. Good luck and keep connected.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you lost yr job Mike - at least you're in a fairly healthy industry, and I hope you find another gig soon.

We're always here 24/7 if you find the time hanging heavy...but really I dunno how I had the time to sit in front of the TV and drink like I used to LOL - the days never seem long enough any more....I find now that there's always something to do

D
Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BurningChrome View Post
The last thing I need is free, idle time on my hands! Last drink was Feb. 20th, still putting my shoulder to the wheel, doing whatever I have to do to keep it that way.
Hey Mike,

I immediately thought, "wow, this sounds like a divine plan to give you the free time you need to develop a solid recovery program." It's certainly what I did in early recovery.

Rather than filling my early recovery days with busy work, distractions, or anything to keep my mind occupied, I used the free time to get out into the world and meet sober people who changed my life and helped me to build a strong foundation for living in recovery, not just being busy and not drinking.

It might not seem like it, but this could be a real blessing - use this time to do the work on the inside and the outside work will fall into place.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mike; i'm sorry for your lay-off, that is hard to deal with, the stress it creates for your family too.

I think you are very smart to make a schedule for yourself and i hope your method of coping, keeping up with your field leads you to a better career, health benefits and fulfillment.

I can totally relate to "too much free time" as it can lure one towards the old way....i am still hesitant to take a day off from work because it reminds me of how I used to spend my time and my severe depression (which for me leads to drinking which exacerbates depression).

stay strong in your resolve and keep in touch.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Be sure and get your Unemployment benefits filled out
quickly. Sorry to know of the job loss....

Keeping a schedule is an excellent idea and
so is adding AA into your day.
It's free and you will meet losts of others
who are winning over alcohol.
I found a really interesting job by having AA friends.

Congratulations on your sober time...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mike, that is really tough, but you will be so much better able to deal with things sober.

And job-hunting can take a lot of your time too.

Good luck with the job search!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're in programming, why don't you use this time to figure out a new inspiration? I got laid off and have taken to building my own company, I am creating my website sobriety.org . I figured creating a website about sobriety and helping others while making some money is a good solution Why not try to find another source of income while you're unemployed anyway?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I love that you already have a plan....and that not drinking is part of that plan. Good for you! Glad you are here!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am disabled and semi retired so know all too well the dangers of having large periods of time with nothing constructive to do. I'm glad you are scheduling your 'free time' with constructive things. I hope you get work soon. :ghug3