Notices

letting the guilt go?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

letting the guilt go?

I have been feeling very miserable withdrawals, on day 3 of sobriety. I cannot stop thinking about what could have happened or should have happened during my relapse. Hard time letting the past go. I am here and alive now back to step one.
I am overwhelmed with guilt and shame. I cant meet with sponsor until about 2 more hours. Just trying to relax and try to breath.
Dean
Old 04-15-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Dean!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

I find it helps living every day in a way that will guarantee such issues don't happen again, and proving to my loved ones by example that I am living a better life.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Dean

Guilt is a huge thing for most of us. The simple fact is tho, if we focus too much on that guilt it will bring us right back to square one and we'll likely as not drink over it.

It's not easy, and it doesn't happen overnight, but I found I had to draw a line in the sand.

Getting sober is not easy - I needed all my energy to focus on today. Thinking about how many times I'd screwed up was no good to me.

What's done is done - we can't do anything about whats gone before...we can't change it, we can't take it back - it's gone. It's hard to swallow but it's vital to get that IMO.

Doesn't mean we just absolve ourselves - but I figure all we can do is make amends the best way we can - sometimes that's an apology but they're best left until you have a strong sobriety behind you...

more often than not, it simply comes down to living a new sober way of life and giving back something. Kinda like a karmic back balance

Focus on the task at hand Dean - live for today and stay sober...you're doing well - all the rest of it will fall into place - I promise

D
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Try and remember that alot of what is making those painful thoughts swirl around in your head is the effects of withdrawal on your emotional wellbeing. I suffer from depression, so I have had to make a habit out of remembering, "Oh, that's not the thing that's bothering me so much as it's the depression making it bother me." Painful emotions like anxiety and depression can fill your head with some grim thoughts, and it's easy to get caught up in them like quicksand.

A little mental exercise I do when I'm like that is to ask myself, "What are 5 good things in my life?" I try to think of new ones each time. The idea of it is to get your focus out of the cycle of negative thoughts, and focused on something positive. Now, this won't lead to a joyous revelation or anything, but I have found it get's the edge off the pain if I really try at it.

Hope that helped you.

Rev
Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dean,

I allowed the guilt and shame to keep in the destructive cycle of addiction for much longer than I should have. Please let go of it, so you can take care of yourself.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks you all for replying it feels good to read other insight.
Met with my sponsor last night for over 2 hours. It felt good to get all of it out. I new before I left for a mini vacation up north that I planned on drinking. I new I should not have but at the last moment left. I have learned a lot. Thinking of writing my relapse later, some very simple things could have prevented this and kept me sober.
I am very thankful at this moment to have the opportunity to be sober and get back into my recovery.
Thanks so much
Dean
I hope that everyone has a good day, and maybe give thanks for even the smallest things that may make them smile.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

way to go dean....

off to a new start. i've had a lot of those as well, and so many times people have asked me the question "so what are you going to do different?"

this time I've joined a recovery softball team. I'm hanging out regularly at my local alano club and getting to know everyone.

and still doing the things that i know are working.

Keep up the good work