Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newbie

Well I didn't drink as much as I normally do last night and I started to feel anxious and had trouble sleeping. Is it only going to get worse from here on out? I was told Benadryl can KIND OF act like Xanax, (meaning it was calm me and make me sleepy) should I take some to help me sleep or just push though the pain? My symptoms today are fuzzy head feeling (can't concentrate, just feel like crying and having a panic attack), anxiety, and loss of appetite. Has other people been trough this have any advice? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi kkw
Welcome to SR

That all sounds pretty common kinda stuff to me...I always advise people to see a Dr if they're concerned at all about how they feel though, or if they've drunk for a long time. Detox can be tricky for some of us.

I know a lot of people seem to use Benadryl but it's actually an anti allergy medication, not a sleeping aid - I'd ask your doctor for advice if you're having trouble sleeping.

The fact is - this is very early in your sobriety - the first couple of days are always rough...but they do get better.

You'll find a lot of support here - you're not alone

D
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us, please see your doctor & be honest about your drinking habits. It can be dangerous to quit suddenly without medical support.

I look forward to having you with us on the road to recovery.

All of the best!

NB
Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will add my two cents: see your doctor for help in getting thru withdrawal safely. After you have detoxed do you have a plan for staying sober? Like AA or counseling or something? A long term recovery program can make all the difference in staying sober.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,

This is also my first day at being sober..I feel the same way. I tried so hard not to feel these feelings, but when you play with a devil like alcohol its bound to happen. Ive heard of weening yourself off of the sauce but to me its kinda like starting drinking again? I know im rambling and this is my first post, but if you wanna help me talk then im game. This **** hurts and there is no doubt about that! But hey you know what? I have friends that have beat this! They are the happiest in their lives! Thats what i wanna be too.....

S
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to both of our new members....

Yes...de toxing/ withdrawing from alcohol is a serious
undertaking...be safe...check with your doctor.

Good to see new members here with us...

Please check out this link for info and some of
our experiences with de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I hope you can get through the first few days.

Benadryl makes me bounce off the ceiling, so I haven't taken it in years.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hugs... wlecome to SR. Hang in there you can make it!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you TheGeneralSKN

D
Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

UPDATE: I actually was able to sleep last night, not sure how. My mind kept running and I somehow fell asleep for 7 hours. Today I have less anxiety and I had an appetite. I also had some energy and I decided to clean the house and did about 4 loads of laundry. So I'm hoping the next days of being sober will continue like this, but you never know. Thanks for all your support, everyone!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great for you KK. Keep up the good work!!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr , KK and Genaral SKN

Hope you keep posting and tell us how things are going in the upcoming days

Sobriety brings good things !!

New here too
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I posted the following in "The Mens Room" forum, dunno if you're a man or not so I'm pasting it here for you, maybe it helps a bit..

One of the scariest things about coming off grog was this: How will I ever sleep?
Sound familiar? Even the times when I really wanted to give up grog were spoiled and wasted because I just had to have a couple to get me off to sleep otherwise I’d be no good at work the next day. I even justified it saying to myself that if I didn’t sleep I’d be a danger to those around me. It never seemed to matter that I drove a 2 ton truck every morning with a head full of ****, or operated machinery whilst, basically, drunk or supervised crane operators and loaded boats in that state...
Well , I got wise in the end and worked out that being tired would be the lesser of many evils and on the first night I just resigned myself to insomnia. I had two cups of Camomile tea and went out like a light for 6 hours, the best sleep I’ve had in years. And it’s been the same since. Bedtime doesn’t fill me with the terrors of sleeplessness now that I’m not afraid of it.
I just thought I’d share that because I know that it’s scary and that’s how I got over it, maybe it will help someone else take that first step....? Thanks for looking. Jim
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR general it's nice to see you in the chat!!