Notices

gotta quit

Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gotta quit

hey yall- this is my first post here, but i've finally made the decision to quit drinking at the age of 25... the fun and 'relaxation' of it is just not worth it... i am drunk every other night with a fifth of liquor... and the problem has escalated recently... i say things i don't mean and don't remember saying, the next day after a drink my heart beats really hard and irregular, i feel sick and poisoned, and my whole body just feels too hot or too cold... just a sick feeling... i am not much of a social drinker- but instead always find myself drinking at night when bored and have nothing else to do... i'll play videogames/watch a movie while drinking- any encouragement is very welcome!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hiya Scoob12

You'll find a lot of support here - I think it's great you've come to this decision so young
I look forward to seeing you around

D
Old 04-11-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope we can help you to stay sober with support and information. This place has helped me so much.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Great decision to stop it now before it could do any permanent damage to your body. I tried in my 20s and now in my 40s I believe I have it. At least it came but the wasted years are a bummer to look back on. Good for you.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got sober at 23 and I'm 24 now. I have 9 months sober. So it can be done if you want it badly enough.

All the best
Old 04-11-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey scoob!! Welcome to SR!! Alcoholism (and I'm not sure if you're comfortable using that term) is tricky. It's conniving and when you think you're done, after a few days or a week or so we forget and say "you know what? I'm ok" and we're back drinking. I have been there so many times.

I was doing all that you mentioned up there, totally relate to it all right down to the boredom and sitting around playing games online or my Playstation and just drink.

I bet a lot of people here can relate to that.

You will definitely get tons of support here, this place is awesome!!!

BTW, I am now approaching my 40th birthday SOBER AND I still love my World of Warcraft and look forward to buying an XBox this year (I hope).

There are still so many things I enjoy today as much as I did when I was drinking but the alcohol was going to kill me and I'm grateful to not have it "owning" me any more.

My very best and I also hope to see you around.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there Scoob,

I remember trying to chase that fun and relaxation feeling after I began getting sick, blacking out, and having those overall toxic effects from drinking. I found that once I crossed over that line, there was no way to go back and learn how to drink like a lady - God knows I tried.

Recovery (not just not drinking - there's a big difference) is about learning new behaviors and living life fully without the need for alcohol to make it fun. The idea that sobriety is boring is a myth unless you really don't want to be sober in which case, I think it'd not only be boring, but miserable.

Try doing different activities that you currently associate with drinking. Instead of being bored and playing video games/watching movies, do something that requires you to think - read, draw, journal your thoughts, exercise - you'll feel better mentally for the challenge, physically for not being sick and emotionally for not having to wake up and wonder, "WTF did I say or do last night?"

It doesn't mean you can never play video games or watch a movie again - it's just that in the early stages, it's wise to develop new habits and activities that aren't immediately associated with drinking. Keep posting and reading here - lots of great support. Welcome!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are making a really wise decision
.....Welcome to our recovery community.

As soon as I quit drinking...my blackouts
immediately stopped.
What a relief that was....
Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First off, good for you-your making a good decision. I am 27 and can relate to what your talking about. I also used to say things that I regretted and didnt remember the next day. Sometimes people thought I was funny, and other times I was just plain disgusting to be around. I am currently in grad school and living 1000 miles for home, so I was worried about meeting new freinds and also being able to hang out with my old freinds. But let me tell you, since getting sober, I have found things to be so much easier. Now I can hang out with my old freinds, and have good conversations that I will remember the next day. I dont do things that make them embarassed about being around me in pulic. The same goes for making new freinds-people are getting to know the real me, and I dont have to say "sorry for yesterday-things just got crazy!" and hope it was all forgotten.

You will probably hear a lot of people tell you that getting sobriety only gets better with time-and it's absolutely true. It is tough at times, really tough, and usually when you least expect it. But, the benefits are huge-mentally, physically and whatever else you can think of classifying.

Best of luck and good job.

All the best
Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Scoob. Glad you are here. Welcome.

While you might now imagine a life without alcohol now, there is so much fun in life that doesn't require us to be drunk.

The key is to start a program of recovery. AA worked great for me, but there are other methods as well.

Keep posting.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you all so much for the encouraging words I have been sober since my post and although the temptation has been tough, I keep telling myself that things will get better- and I truly believe they will.. one thing i miss is how i used to be in shape, but now it seems like the alcohol has turned me to mush... did yall lose or gain weight after you stopped drinking? for some reason, I have been insanely hungry since i started recovering...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Scoob,

Completely normal to be hungry or have a big apetite. I'm munching away like crazy, but I'm not gaining any weight because I'm not having the sugar intake from the alcohol. I think it will wear off, the first couple of nights I was getting up to get some candy out of my son's candy-jar, that craving for sugar at night stopped.

Welcome.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got sober at 28. Trust me, you will thank yourself down the road for realizing this so early in life. I talk to guys in AA all the time and they ALL wish they would have gotten sober as young as I did. They wasted so much more of their life drinking that they can now never get back. I know it is tough because it seems like everyone else your age is our drinking and having fun. Well, once we become alcoholic we just can't do that any more. It is too bad we have to be alcoholics, but once we learn and accept that, we can finally start living again.

As for gaining/losing weight I lost weight. 30 pounds and counting. Hard to get and stay in shape when we sit around at night chugging liquor. One day at a time my friend.