HP at work in my life

Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HP at work in my life

Hi SRS family,

Sharing another story of how our HP works in our lives. I posted over a week ago the difficulties connected to this time of year for me. This week, out of the blue I received a letter (yes people still do that) from a distant relative who heard about my husband. She was writing to tell me her story. She admitted to being an A and having 21 years of sobriety through AA. I was aware she drank a lot. I remember the time she told me that she stopped. But never gave it any thought and she never said anything more about it or her involvement in AA. We were separated by distance years ago which may be part of it.

Last summer and the year before I had thoughts of her but did not try to contact her. So as usual, my HP had her seek me out. This letter reminded that people still think of me and care about me even when they aren't around any more. She also gave me understanding instead of advice about the situation. She explained her role in recovery and her husband's role clearly so that I had a better sense of it all. She didn't tell me anything new, but the point for me was having someone understand my options vs telling what to do or not to do.

It also reminded that there are people who make it which gave me hope - not specifically for my husband, but let me know its presence. I hope that makes sense to others. It also gave me permission to have hope for his recovery and possibly our relationship in more realistic terms so that I am not expecting nor feeling disappointment.