Link between addiction and mental illness

Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Link between addiction and mental illness

I saw this story on the TV tonight:

"A new study by the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse reports there is a strong connection between addiction and mental illness.

It is called concurrent disorders; the medical term for when a person suffers from mental illness and substance abuse at the same time.

The study found that 50 per cent of people being treated for an addiction also have a mental illness. It also reports 20 per cent of mental illness patients live with an addiction. "

CTV Ottawa- New study finds strong link between mental health and addiction - CTV News

Here's a link to the full report:
Substance Abuse in Canada: Concurrent Disorders

My ex has both mental illness (anxiety and ADD) and addiction. He attended a really good concurrent disorders rehab and is now sober. I have mental illness (anxiety) but have never been addicted to anything more than bicycling.

What's your experience?

Spinner
Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My stbxah had anxiety in addition to alcoholism. When we would go anywhere he would rub his fingers together the whole time because he was anxious. Once he had a drink he was fine. I happen to think imo he is also a sociopath but that isnt proven...By the way in rehab he was given antidepressents and seems to be better with the anxiety but last I heard a months ago he still drank..
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

all three of the "certified" addicts in my life have depression of varying degrees.

which is the chicken, and which the egg?

it is interesting to me - do they self-medicate because they are having a hard time with emotions, are they depressed because often times depression is anger manifested inward, turning to a depressed state, compounded by drug and/or alcohol abuse?

all i know, is that they do often go together.

i guess, treatment of addiction still has to happen, imo, first. then tackle the depression.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lulu1974 View Post
My stbxah had anxiety in addition to alcoholism. When we would go anywhere he would rub his fingers together the whole time because he was anxious. Once he had a drink he was fine. I happen to think imo he is also a sociopath but that isnt proven...By the way in rehab he was given antidepressents and seems to be better with the anxiety but last I heard a months ago he still drank..

lulu my xah also rubbed his thumb and index finger together and/or rub his index finger against his thigh ... kinda like he was scratching something off his leg... he did it all the time!

He would also roll/flick his tongue from side to side... making a slight clicking sound... it would drive me crazy.

He would run conversations with people in his mind....move his mouth (no sounds) but his hands would gesture as if he were actually talking to them...

We never had a doctor's diagnosis... and I'm certainly not a doctor (nor do I play one on tv)... but I often wondered if there was a link.

my xah was also extremely hyper (naturally) so I knew he was drinking or using when he was "calm".

spinner... thanks for posting this interesting article and links.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That doesn't surprise me.

My xah does not have any diagnosis but IMO, from knowing him for 16 years, he has severe ADD. He shows all the signs. I have a son with ADD and generally the apple doesn't fall far from the tree with that. I did approach him with this and he stead fastly refused to even consider it. In the last year he had a lot of anxiety, even got some meds, but I think that was caused by the alcoholism because he had no problems with it until the drinking escalated.

I do know that ADD increases the risk of alcoholism significantly. I was so twisted with guilt that I almost felt like I was turning my back on my own son because I could not deal with his dad. I know that isn't right. I do feel a great responsibility to do the best I can with my son (all of them) to really educate him on his LD's and his genetics. To give him understanding and to help him understand. He is at such high risk of alcoholism. Both sides of his family are riddled with alcoholism, he's from a single family home now, he has the ADD and other LD's.......
Old 04-10-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have always assumed that if someone was addicted to something toxic eb booze or drugs, they either had a mental illness or personality disorder to start with, would end up with one.

What I didn't consider was the outcome on partners and families of these addicts, and that the rate of eg depression, anxiety attacks, would skyrocket over the years.

Actually, the knowledge we have about addiction, and alcoholism especially, is only a drop in the bucket. There is so much more to learn, study and research about this difficult and complex illness, disease or habit.

Really I think there is as much imfo and knowledge here, on SR, when we share our combined experiences and what we have learned, as can be found in any research centre.

Who knows some of our offspring may open the secrets to addiction, at some time in the future.

God bless
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I've got ADD, anxiety, and some kind of bi-polar/PTSD/borderline - Mix. The first two are fairly easy as far as diagnosing. Just meeting specific requirements the medical powers-to-be came up with.

The main issue - The true "crazy" is too complex often or not to be diagnosed. I have a wonderful phsychiatrist who bluntly told me that there's often no way to "box" people. She's never said "this is what you have". I'm sure she scribbled something for insurance purposes. But I don't even know what that is. It doesn't matter.

I'm lucky tho, that I was able to find a combination of medication that has worked for me! I believe this is a genetic disorder as it goes waaayyy back. It's a shame they didn't have these medications available to my mother or grandmother.

I'm not surprised alcoholism came into play either. Self medication (among a flurry of other things). For the ADD, Anxiety, and Depression.

So this in particular rings "of course"! to me:

"The study found that 50 per cent of people being treated for an addiction also have a mental illness. It also reports 20 per cent of mental illness patients live with an addiction. "
Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
gmc

I know and it makes sense that there is a link between mental illness and addiction...it is interesting for me though, because I am bipolar. I have been on meds for 6 years and they changed my life for the better but before then I would go through bouts of depression.

I have never been much of a drinker or anything else because it made me feel worse emotionally, and even before meds, I was always trying to watch myself so I wouldnt fall into a depression. So i've always said, "If people knew what I go through to remain emotionally steady, they would understand why I dont drink much or do drugs to reach another emotional state!". Please take this as tongue-in-cheek because I know my experience is mine and mine alone but I thought it would give you another perspective!

Truth is, I have always been scared that drinking or drugs would send me into a spiral so i've avoided them..
Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

My AH drank because he was depressed. He lived in filth because he was too depressed to pick up after himself. Was the depression real or just an excuse to drink? Who knows.

I know this, after I left he told my friends that he was the happiest he's ever been, so now I know how to cure depression!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"Truth is, I have always been scared that drinking or drugs would send me into a spiral so i've avoided them.."

This is actually more common. As there's many more physchiatric patients in general, without addiction issues.

Might need to have a risk-taking personality or gene, to get them both right. ;-)
Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
I know this, after I left he told my friends that he was the happiest he's ever been, so now I know how to cure depression!!!
That was funny!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
gmc

That is a great point, Alizerin. Having been raised in a Codie household with people around me being unpredictable most of the time, I definately have valued predictability. If anything, that has been my downfall and something for me to work on!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stbexah family came to me, addressed the issue that they think he is bi-polar (most of his family are doctors too). I looked up bi-polar disorder, same symptoms of alcoholism. He is totally afraid to be alone as well, hence finding the **** ***** he is with now, when I went to see my family- he met her the night I left. It is all very Interesting.

I agree there has to be a link. Just as with any addiction, the addict must be willing to take responsibility, and I don't see that happening.

Good Post!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"Just as with any addiction, the addict must be willing to take responsibility,"

This is exactly why I do not see having a mental illness as a reason someone can't stay sober. Like wiping your @ss, It's a human responsibility. Especially if there's other disorders.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Disclaimer: I'm the AH in my household - sober atm, hope the input's OK

This reads like a "no s**t sherlock" to me, but that's just my experience. My mental health issues started @ age 12, and for a while I was a "revolving door" psychiatric patient. The drink/drug abuse, for me, was always a coping mechanism; and I believe this to have been true for most of my ex-drinking-buddies.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In all honesty, there is not one person I would not consider having some form of mental illness. Everyone seems to have some issue they struggle with whether they admit it or not. I think some people are just better adjusted to negotiating life from their perspective than others are.

With this said, I am not an addict and feel very lucky not to be drawn to substance abuse. I always have thought that I have enough on my plate without having to add in complications from excessive drinking or whatever. I think this is the thinking that defines the non-addicts from the addicts, IMHO.

For the alcoholic I knew and others I have met, there seems to be a sensitivity. I actually like that quality very much. THis sensitivity seems to link to anxiety or depression depending on the situation. To me this sensitivity links them to mental illness.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Remember too that often times mental illness is genetic, hmm so is alcoholism. Sometimes I think the alcoholism and addiction hides ever being diagnosed with mental illness.

My Ah's mother was just diagnosed with mixed bipolar, one of her brothers committed suicide, her other brother and father were a alcoholics, her mother was diagnosed but never treated for bipolar and schitzoeffective disorder and her grandmother and aunt committed suicide....
3 out of 5 living children of MIL struggle with addiction and when sober and not are anxious paranoid hyper and all over the place mentally-yet refuse to see a doctor.

So in some circumstances Im positive underlying mental illness comes first, but Id say not always. At the same time substance mess with your brain chemistry and the same serotonin levels and dopamine levels that antidepression and anxiety meds help regulate
Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Many addicts have a history of mental illness. This is known. But many with mental illness never become addicts, just as many addicts do not have a clinical mental illness.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and could easily have become a self-medicating addict except that I have always been afraid of alcohol and drugs. I don't know where it came from as my parents drank wine occasionally with dinner and were not alcoholics. Probably just my normal anxiety about things that might make me feel weird.

I have been prescribed benzos in the past but was very reluctant to take them, even when I needed them. Too afraid of losing control I think. Us co-dependents always need to be in control.

My ex tell me his doctor also thinks he is obsessive-compulsive. He obsesses a lot. My ex believes his drinking was self-medicating. He says at least half the people he has met in AA have some sort of significant mental illness.

The study says it is very important that both/all problems are tackled together, not in isolation. Seems like good advice to me.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think my xabf suffers from depression and anxiety