Notices

Decluttering

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decluttering

Hey guys,

I am working on my second week of sobriety (my third attempt in the past few years).

I know I have so much mental baggage (ie: hating myself) that I need to deal with, but right now I am trying to stay focused on not drinking.... one day at a time. So far so good

Anyhow, I have concentration issues, I really do think I have ADD. It is hard for me to complete projects (even easy ones like folding the laundry) because I seem to get sidetracked and start other projects which leads to more projects... etc, etc. It is overwhelming to have so much to do and not have anything completed. When I was drinking, it was easy to chalk up my lack of production to being hungover. Now, I can't do that.

We are going to be putting our house on the market within the next month or so. There is so much clutter around this house. I really need to get going and start cleaning and going through "stuff". I could probably fill a truck with all the stuff that we don't need. I can't help make the correlation between physical and mental junk. I have so much mental junk that I don't need or want, and I know I am going to have to deal with that in good time. Right now, I guess I'll focus on my house and maybe that positive step will spill over into my emotional well being.

Well, that's my ramble for now. Glad I actually finished what I wanted to write

Take care all. I have been avidly reading your posts and can relate to so much.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Reubena

Are you working a program of recovery to help you deal with your emotional issues?

As to the clearing out the house, for some practical advice, try searching for "flylady"
Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey I love that flylady website and I can relate to the overwhelming feelings when it comes to clutter. Our house IS on the market and I have to "try" and keep it clean and picked up in case we get someone that wants to look at the place. I will tell you I make lists now and I feel really good crossing things off as I go. Tackle it one piece or one area at a time. Try the pantry if you have one or a couple of "junk" drawers. I am constantly cleaning out our 2 junk drawers.

Also take it easy and take a break when you need to. Don't overdue. It will all get done.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second the flylady recommendation. She also has moving checklists on her website which might help you out.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck in recovery, glad you are trying again to get sober!!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had the same concentration issues in my early recovery Reubena - I think it's very common.

I figured with the damage I'd done to myself over the years, and the reliance I had on alcohol as a companion for everything, it was natural I would feel a little scatterbrained for a few weeks.

It got better - not over night but gradually

D
Old 04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reubena,

I can speak from experience. When you declutter your house/space you will feel better emotionally. In recovery, I have moved three times and the first move, in particular, involved a LOT of purging. It also involved quite a bit of crying and letting go of stuff. I was amazed how wonderful it felt when it was done.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the household clutter represents the emotional clutter. I'm the same way. When I clean up I feel better, or when I feel better, I clean up. And I LOVE Flylady.
The "Fly" stand for Finally Loving Yourself! How poignant is that for us??
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I will check into the Flylady website

I agree that physical clutter is a reflection of emotional clutter. It's a good thing for me to be doing this now. First of all, I *have* to if we ever want to sell our house plus it keeps me busy. Last night when I normally would have been drinking I was down in the basement sorting through stuff. This morning, I've already taken a van load to Goodwill.

I know I am going to have to deal with bigger emotional issues at some point, but right now, I am taking it one day at a time and not drinking. And that is good enough for now.

Thanks again... This group is so supportive and I really appreciate all of you.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know I have so much mental baggage (ie: hating myself) that I need to deal with, but right now I am trying to stay focused on not drinking.... one day at a time. So far so good
First of all in early sobriety I lived in a state of confusion for several months, it was darn hard to keep from drinking.

One of the most important ways I found to stay sober was to try and help others, be it staying sober or what ever. When I sat around focusing on NOT drinking the urge TO drink was always the first thing on my mind.

I focused on my recovery instaed of NOT drinking, I went to tons of meetings, have a sponsor, & took the steps, in taking the steps I found tremendous relief from my guilt, shame, resentments, & fears, this led me to see that I am a pretty good person & I quit hating myself, life began to come into focus & the thoughts that used to spin around in my head all the time dissappeared for the most part & my ability to focus & finsh the task at hand got better.

What I found by taking the steps was I had a new solution for life that when applied daily & to ALL areas of my life removed the idea of a drink as a solution to ANYTHING!

I did not & do not dwell on not drinking, instead I focus on being the best person I can be, I focus on living life to the fullest & being of maximum service to my family, friends, & community. Thsi all makes me feel better about myself & the idea of a drink is not part of that equation.

When I tried to quit so many times before all I did was sit around thinking about drinking, not drinking, drinking not drinking, drinking, not drinking, hell doing that all the time always drove me back to drinking just because it was far easier to drink then it was to sit around thinking about not drinking.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reubena View Post
Thanks everyone!

I will check into the Flylady website

I agree that physical clutter is a reflection of emotional clutter. It's a good thing for me to be doing this now. First of all, I *have* to if we ever want to sell our house plus it keeps me busy. Last night when I normally would have been drinking I was down in the basement sorting through stuff. This morning, I've already taken a van load to Goodwill.

I know I am going to have to deal with bigger emotional issues at some point, but right now, I am taking it one day at a time and not drinking. And that is good enough for now.

Thanks again... This group is so supportive and I really appreciate all of you.
Great job Reubena :day6 I have some of the same challanges you have in regards to attention spans & overwhelming projects (making them bigger than they are). I find making a top ten list of things to do & crossing the things I get done off help me (the crossing off part feels great ;-). Its ok to move some projects to tomorrow too of course.

Lastly I try to keep my projects in bite size pieces, instead of cleaning the house list them as smaller areas (kitchen, living room etc.)

Take care & good luck

NB
Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helluvacook View Post
The "Fly" stand for Finally Loving Yourself! How poignant is that for us??
Love that great quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am also having some serious clutter issues,lol....I just look at it and laugh for now, all in all though things are much more organized. Heck I even did my taxes this year without filing for an extension. My parents are 5 years sober and they both tell me that you will see positive changes in everything in your life for years to come. I hope you can stick with it this time, you can do it.....

Thanks for sharing,

Mahi