Notices

Another Newbie

Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Newbie

Just a quick note of introduction before going to bed. Today was my first day sober. I found this site earlier in the week and was just waiting for my authorization to join in the conversation. I have a lot of things to sort through and a lot of work to do, but I am ready. Not sure AA is the direction I will go, but I am doing research on what the best path for me is. Whatever path, it will be a sober path, and that is what is most important. Beer is my drug of choice and binge drinking is my pattern. I have gone a week or two without touching a drop, but when I do there is no off switch. It has been that way for the last 18 years. I've been married 10 years and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am highly functional and my drinking has never caused question at my job as I restricted activity to post work. Naturally, I was not operating at 100% at work due to drinking too much the night before and passing out, but when that is the norm, co-workers don't know what 100% looks like. Well, I've rambled on long enough. It was a long day at work, I am beat, and the alarm clock is going to go off in 5 hours to do it all again. I look forward to making friends and finding support here. God bless and good luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Welcome to SR Haon!
You can find a lot of support here, and you'll find a lot people here that have similar drinking histories. Great that you decided to do something about your problem, and keeping reading and posting is a good way to start.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll add my welcome too Haon
I was a beer binger too - I ended up an all day drinker, tho so you're very wise to look at it now...

Good to have you with us - like littlestranger said, you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Haon))) - Welcome to SR!!!!

You'll find you're in good company, with lots of supportive people!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3 Glad you found us and joined the family. Congrats on deciding to live a sober life. It really is worth the effort.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Welcomes

Thank you for the warm welcomes. My initial therapy is going to be continuing to read and post on here. What a wonderful resource and outlet you have created. I am very thankful to have found you.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

SR is a super place for support!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Haon,

It's really good to be with people who have been where you're at and understand what you're going through - makes us not feel so unique or alone.

Keep reading and posting. So glad you're here.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Haon.

I'm pretty new here, but I've seen that this is a great place for information and support. I'm wishing you the best.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you here....
Welcome to our recovery community

Blessings to you your wife and dauughter
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haon View Post
Just a quick note of introduction before going to bed. Today was my first day sober. I found this site earlier in the week and was just waiting for my authorization to join in the conversation. I have a lot of things to sort through and a lot of work to do, but I am ready. Not sure AA is the direction I will go, but I am doing research on what the best path for me is. Whatever path, it will be a sober path, and that is what is most important. Beer is my drug of choice and binge drinking is my pattern. I have gone a week or two without touching a drop, but when I do there is no off switch. It has been that way for the last 18 years. I've been married 10 years and have a beautiful 3 year old daughter. I am highly functional and my drinking has never caused question at my job as I restricted activity to post work. Naturally, I was not operating at 100% at work due to drinking too much the night before and passing out, but when that is the norm, co-workers don't know what 100% looks like. Well, I've rambled on long enough. It was a long day at work, I am beat, and the alarm clock is going to go off in 5 hours to do it all again. I look forward to making friends and finding support here. God bless and good luck.
You've stumbled onto an amazing resource. You'll find a few of us on here with stories very similar to yours (myself included - exchange your daughter for an 8 yr old boy and I could've written it). I'm not the AA type and this forum along with a small and dedicated group of friends/family for support have been a godsend for the last 3 1/2 months in recovery. Be strong and be well!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome to SR!!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there Haon,

I'm new here too, but already finding that this is an amazing place, I don't feel alone. Everytime I think of drinking I think about this website.
Good luck to you!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome!! Welcome here!! Good luck on staying sober. You can do it I believe in you!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Hoan..my story sounds similar to yours as well. Beer at night, etc. This place is a great source..so nice not feel alone. Hope to hear more about how you're doing!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Haon & you, too Andi! It's wonderful you've joined us. I was immediately relieved when I found this place - these people spoke my language, they understood everything I was going through. I wish I'd known such a place existed years ago & my story might have been different.

I was a binge drinker too, until I evolved into a 24/7 drinker. My tolerance was huge - I could sip 100 proof vodka most of the day & not feel anything but a slight numbness. I'm sure I was in a fog, but I didn't realize it. There certainly were no happy or fun moments anymore! I regret all the wasted years spent poisoning myself, but as I've learned by reading on SR - there's no point in spending the rest of our lives filled with regret and remorse. That was then, this is now - and we are healing!

Congratulations to you for reaching out & seeking a better life.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Haon and please accept a big pat on the back for deciding to seek sobriety. I too drank every night and went to work hung over. You will be amazed how different it will feel going to work without a hang over and without guilt and shame and able to look your coworkers in the eye. Hang with us!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Brand new here too, Haon. .......6 days Welcome, Glad I found this site , for sure ! It's certainly clarified a few things for me. Hope it helps you too
Old 04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Today is my first day also, your story sounds so similar, welcome.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Glad you are here!