Notices

Am I always this person forever?

Old 04-06-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I always this person forever?

I've Told myself a million and a half. Lied to everyone myself friends families and drs. If Im not drinking Im medicating harder than a regular addict. Yes I am sure I am an alcoholic and a drug addict. But I fight with it daily, to say no. In gods honest truth, the lure always grasps me to do it again. I dont know what to do anymore. allready been to detox twice. I guess this is always me. I quit once for about a week, then started to take my Rx hevier and harder. I am an alcoholic addicted to klonopin, xanax, vailum, darvocet, hydrocodone, ambien and cocaine. I dont know you stop one just to hit the other one harder. For me alcohol is always present its my DOC. So know what, any advice?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think you should talk to your dr about detoxing from alcohol and to make a plan to get off the prescription drugs that you are taking.

Once you begin recovery, the hard work of looking within and finding the reasons that you are trying to numb yourself all the time. Its dealing with those issues that will help you to recover.

Please know that you can do this!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

308, do you have somebody you can connect with to help you stay grounded in your sobriety, like a group (and like AA)? I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are trying to do all this by yourself when you are done with the detox?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 308win

I used to think I was doomed to be that guy too - obviously thats not the case, cos here I am - living the life I always dreamed of living back then.

I don't know what you need to do, cos I dunno what you've done yet - you've been to detox but have you been to rehab - inpatient or outpatient?

Have you tried a recovery programme?

Seen a Doctor? Seen a counsellor?

I got out of all that former life when I ultimately decided I didn't want to live like that anymore.

I put a lot of effort into my drinking and drugging - seems pretty sensible to me I need to put at least that much effort into getting clean and sober

I promised myself I wouldn't stop looking until I found whatever it was that would help me make the break and stay that way.

Don't stop looking til you find whatever your way is, 308

D
Old 04-06-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would see a doctor for help in getting off the pills, and maybe give AA a good try in quitting drinking. Don't give up. You CAN live clean and sober. It takes effort but is worth it.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi 303,

i can relate to your heading "am I this person forever?" --in addiction and also in the circus of my mind. You can change. You never have to take a drink again. it was/is the hardest thing i ever did and took a lot of work in the beginning and now as I'm starting again. good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I drank almost every day since the mid 90's often times downing a whole fifth of alcohol. I smoked pot every day during that time. I developed a daily cocaine habit three separate times and quit only to move to other substances. I've seriously abused xanax, clonapin, alcohol, ghb, lsd, ecstacy, 2cb, mda, mdma, cocaine, adderol,heroin, oxycontin, percocet, opana, vicodin, codeine, valium, marijuana, and all this was before my opiate use took hold. I would have to snort 160mg of oxycontin to get out of bed in the morning and function, eventually doing approx. 400mg daily. I was a hopeless junkie. I haven't drank or used drugs for 100 days today.

No, you don't have to be this person forever. If i can do it anyone can. There is a solution. Find yours.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, Thanks everyone for the support. To anwser alot of peoples questions, No I have not took part in any clases or programs. I need some guidnce and a SOBER friend. I have no one to talk to about this. My family hates me how I am. I want to leave my situation now, but have no where to go. I am 20, been drinking for 6 years everyday about 12 to 36. and been abusing rx for about a year. What do I do. Sorry for being so helpless
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Originally Posted by 308win View Post
Sorry for being so helpless
Actually, helpless is good. In AA, we call that "the gift of desperation".

The point is that perhaps you have now reached your bottom. You have reached the point where you are willing to accept that you can't do this alone. You are willing to try anything with an open mind to achieve sobriety.

This is just where you want to be. Now begins your recovery.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

308, you have sober friends, only they're in the computer, here.

Do you know where this is? I took it from here: Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings

Central Office (Atlanta, GA)
127 Peachtree St
Suite 1310
Atlanta, GEORGIA 30303
United States
Phone404)525-3178
Site: Alcoholics Anonymous
Email: [email protected]

Why not find out more, and you can get with a group to deal with the drugs too. You'll get the sober friends through these people if you only have people that use drugs around you. What do you think about that?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I live close to Atlanta ....and I do use AA
for recovery from my alcoholism......Works great!

Here is the phone number for AA Atlanta Central Office.
They can also give you info on the surrounding areas
if you are not actually in the city.

404-525-3178

You might want to ask them about the free de tox
faciltiy run by the Salvation Army in Atlanta.
Because you do use so many substances
that would be the best way to get clean and sober.

And the Salvation Army also has other programs
free and available to alcoholics/addicts.

All my best.....and Yes! you too can find a better
future......
Good to see you here again
Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome 308win.

What I did was call a guy in AA who spoke of the hopelessness of alcoholism and a spiritual awakening as the result of the 12 Steps as being the only hope for him. He showed me the directions in the Big Book for having a spiritual awakening just like he did. He guided me through the actions. I've never drank since.

Originally Posted by 308win View Post
I need some guidnce and a SOBER friend.
It's funny how often thinking you know what you need is the very thing that can prevent you from getting what you need. All I had to know was that I didn't know how to stay sober.

I just started working with a guy who had come home from his 7th medically supervised detox in the past year. I have absolute hope for him that if he does the same actions I had to do, he will never drink again.

One of the first actions he will have to do, though, is to let go of the idea that he knows what he needs.