Do I 'unfriend' my XABF family on FB?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I 'unfriend' my XABF family on FB?

Well, its been 2 months of NC for me. What a blessing!

I am moving forward SO FAST in this recovery, it's almost scary. I do not miss him, I do not want to see him, and every day he stays away makes it easier for me to move on.

He is not on Facebook, or MySpace or anything. He has no online presence except his email, which I haven't had any interest in snooping in over a month.

I am FB friends with his sister, and his brother-in-law. I hold no grudges against them, and they both stood by me and my decision to leave my A. However, I am having a hard time looking at their status, updates or seeing them online. I really do NOT want to hear about my X. I don't want the opportunity for them to tell me what he's doing. They have not attempted to contact me directly since I left in Feb, but I can still see them online.

Do I 'unfriend' them? Or just remove their updates from my wall? A part of me wants to keep them as friends, so they see MY updates, and my life moving forward. Sick, maybe I want them to tell my XABF how GREAT I am, and how much he screwed up by letting me go?

Recovery is hard!

for all your replies in advance!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

You can block a friend from viewing updates and your wall and still keep them as a friend.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Google "How to limit a friends access" that's what I did. You have to add them to a seperate friends list.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh yeah - Had to do this with all his family members too
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can "hide" their status updates. That way you haven't unfriended but you don't have to see them. Or you could block them so as not to be accessible at all. If they ask, just say you are not as active on FB anymore.

FB has been a major trigger for me in a lot of ways. Not healthy ones.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would suggest it, I tried to keep my exab family on my page, but it just gets screwy. Even if they support you now, there will come a time when blood is thicker than water and you will be the bad guy. (especially if he is good at manipulation like mine was) Do what is best for you but offer them an explanation if you do unfriend them.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i would say it has everything to do with whether or not you have an active relationship with these people.

i befriended my xah's mother, and a few of his other close relatives, but i care about and still love them, and there had been some healing in our relationships awhile back (the death of a family member brought it on).

there is probably no reason (healthy one, lol) for you to keep them, unless....as i already said.

glad you're doing so fabulous!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Do you ever do anything with these people? I still did things with my ex bil and sil. We've remained friends.

Friends are people you share things in common with.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DMC

So far, I just made a separate list for STBXAH and his family, but it's the opposite reason. Some things I post, I don't care if they see. Some things (like up upcoming European trip) they don't need to see. I was part of their family for nearly 15 years, so I don't mind their updates.

The bigger question for me is when I change that status to "single" and drop his name. The papers have been filed, and it's only a matter of time. Emotionally, I'm ready. I guess I just don't want to anger him or his family and have them make the divorce messier. Sigh.