Hey guys, a lil update

Old 04-04-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys, a lil update

Firstly, I wish everyone a Happy Easter. I havent had a chance to get online the past month. Hubby is deteriorating rapidly, to the point he is totally dependant on me. For those that dont know me, he has final stage liver failure. One good to come from it all, he has quit drinking. He had no choice. His only chance now is for a liver transplant, and we are seeing the liver doc next friday to discuss what we need to get him on the list, I am pretty sure he needs to be six months sober first tho. I am not sure he will make six months sadly. I have come to accept the worse, but try to be positive, and make his days as comfortable and easy for him as I can. In this short time, I have been thrown in the deep end with my hubbys sudden onset of liver failure, and altho i aint a nurse, I am doing OK with him. I can get a district nurse in to help me, and I will of things go worse for him. Thanks for listening, Leah
Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers are with you both; this illness is a killer, and sadly, denial stops people from believing it. May your God be with you.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Megan
Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

prayed for you, cash. it is in god's hands. happy easter.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Cashfan!

I am so glad to hear from you. Sorry about your husband's illness, I am sure you will handle whatever comes your way and do your best for him.
Thank you for the update.
Beth
Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks coffee and wicked, thanks for your prayers. Its nice to be in this group, I will try and get in more often. I am sorry this has happened to my husband, but I didnt pour the grog down his throat. He chose the booze, no matter how I begged and cried for him to quit, now comes the hard price. I am here for him, I will do my best, but i am not quitting my life. Still do country fire service, had a callout last week, and I felt guilty to leave him alone, but I helped put out a fire, and that made me feel good. Just something I wanted to share, cos if anyone else is in this situation, please, dont throw your own life out the window or put it on hold.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Still do country fire service, had a callout last week,
Just something I wanted to share, cos if anyone else is in this situation, please, dont throw your own life out the window or put it on hold.
Cashfan, you are my hero from down under.
You epitomize grace under pressure, and I know that came with a great deal of pressure.
You keep doing what you do, I love to hear about it.
Beth
Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

aww you are too sweet wicked. I aint ever been called a hero before. You have a great day.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Cash,
I am sorry to hear of your husbands liver failing. Please keep us updated on your situation.

I took care of my mother while her life ended with cancer. As the disease progressed, I felt I needed to be available 24/7. I would only take breaks away to visit my own family every other weekend when my brother relieved me. I realize now that I should have taken better care of myself during that time. I had hospice nurses available a couple times a week. They offered to let me get out of the house and go shopping or run errands. I was strong - I didn't need to get out (so I thought). I only accepted their offers when mother was near the end and sedated.

Please allow other professionals and family members to sit with your AH. Taking time out from caretaking him is not selfish. It is important to stay in touch with yourself and your life during this process. Your life is important too.

(((Hugs))) and peace to you during this journey.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Pelican, and Happy easter. Sorry about your Mother. You are correct in that you need time out. I am making sure I still do the things I enjoy, and am still able to care for him. I promise I will ask for help when I need it. It has been offered to me, and I have lots of kind friends who check up on me. Have a great day, I am off to bed.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I have thought of you often, Leah, since the time he went into the hospital. I hope you are making sure you take good care of yourself. Make sure you get some respite from taking care of him, on a regular basis. There should be resources for getting this respite in the community, through insurance, friends and family, etc so please make sure to look into that.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hugs to you. You and your husband are in my prayers.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Easter is the message of forgiveness, of hope and purpose. It’s the message of being put right with God, of comfort for those whose heart is aching, empty or confused. It’s the message of peace and total love.

I wish these blessings to you and your Ah.

God bless
Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Easter, (((Leah)))

I will be praying for both you and your husband. It's tragic, really...such a shame how lives are destroyed by this disease as well as poor choices.

Love,

jc
Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Cash. I spent a few months caring for someone with end stage liver disease. It's indescribably emotionally draining to watch someone suffer in that way. They become sick so fast. My friend got to the point where she didn't know what year it was. It's so difficult to be the primary caretaker. It's so hard to be there for that person emotionally and physically, and to figure out the transplant thing on top of that. My life became so focused on those two magic words, "the list". How could I get her on The List before it was too late?

I, like you, was sure she wouldn't make it. But you know, right when I thought all was lost and she was just a whisper of what she once was, she got it. She got on the list. She got the transplant.

You two will be in my prayers. I hope you are asking for support from everyone who offers. ::: huge hugs :::
Old 04-05-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thinking of you I lost my children's father to liver failure March 9th.
It's so very hard,please take care.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Its all good. Cleaning up poop, vomit and, the hardest is blood, pissing out his skin even if he gets a scratch. Its awful. Then, watching those big eyes, once beautiful blue, now, orange, and bulging blankly at me, yes, its the eyes that haunt me. Its ugly, its sad, and its how it is. Im coping well, truely. I wont sugar coat this by any means, people need to know what happens.
Learn2Live, missed you sweety, we are fine in Australia, everything medical is free, well, taxes I pay go towards free medicare, and its awseome, so we are OK financially.
Love the boxing roo Jad, sheesh guys, thanks so much.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AWEDA, Im really sorry for your loss.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jad, mate, who do I forgive? My father for bashing me black and blue when I was a kid? My mother, who let him do it, and still reminds me of how useless I am to this very day? My ex husband who thought it was fun throwing empty stubbies at my head watching to see if they would smash? Well, I cant forgive. I can be me, and I can be proud of me. I raised an awesome, successful son, and I did that with love. I dont have to forgive any ******* that hurt me, I can hold my head high, and **** on them all. Love leah
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry Jad, wasnt directing anger at you. Im human, and hurting, and I am letting it out. Its good to let it out, than let it fester. Sorry for my outburst.