Notices

Boss's Boss Wants to Speak w/Me...

Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boss's Boss Wants to Speak w/Me...

I'm scared. My boss is out on vac for 2 weeks and 5pm today my boss's boss walks into my cubicle (fancy word for office ) says wants to have a 1/2 hr meeting w/me on where I am, where I want to be with the company, where I see myself, how I like my job, my career path, etc, etc, etc. Says I am 'very critical' to the operations of this office, just wanted to talk to me 1-1.

I'm scared ********. Scared I'm going to lose my job. My boss is a piece of ****, everyone in the office knows that, doesn't care much about anything. But couldn't the big boss have scheduled the meeting THIS week instead of first thing NEXT week...now I get to stew about it all weekend??? And why is big boss having the meeting conveniently while my boss is out of town???? Why don't I believe big boss when I asked why this conversation is important????? How do I know I'm not going to be a member of 'former-company-just-got-laid-off' club????? How do I know I'm not being lied/fudged to?????

Can't I just call in sick on Monday? If I ate a bad tomato knowing it would make me sick...can't I still just call in sick?

Breathing, breathing, breathing...I know this is how an alcoholic thinks (all sorts of crazy thoughts, none that end up in reality), I just don't know how to fast-forward it.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First, sit down and breathe. The absolute WORST thing you can do is call in sick. Sit down and write down all your good qualities and all the good things you do to make the company function. Memorize them. Look over your closet. If you have nothing professional to wear, break out the credit card and go shopping for something that looks like the job you WANT to have. RIGHT?

YOU CAN DO IT!! MOST IMPORTANTLY, AND I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT, AND I AM SERIOUS HERE BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN IN YOUR SITUATION MORE THAN ONCE, DO NOT DRINK AT ALL THE NIGHT BEFORE.
After the day is over, go ahead and treat your self but DO NOT DO IT THE NIGHT BEFORE. I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE. I AM 59 AND GOING ON 60. TRUST ME. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!:ghug3
Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
MOST IMPORTANTLY, AND I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT, AND I AM SERIOUS HERE BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN IN YOUR SITUATION MORE THAN ONCE, DO NOT DRINK AT ALL THE NIGHT BEFORE. [/B]
Thank you, Asta. I believe I can handle the night before (I think), but scared to pieces about the night after. I'm good with the in-the-middle emotions (neither too exciting or too negative), but bad with anything else, though I'm trying to work on it. I don't know how to handle the after-effects. Scared, scared, scared.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

STOP IT!

stay in the now!

dont let the Band of Gypsy's in the head have a field day.

and as mentioned, dont drink

good wishes on the matter
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just MHO. The Boss' Boss knows the Boss is a POS and what to reassure you that you are going to be around. He/She probably wants to hear these things WHILE the Boss is out of town - this is no coincidence. So if I were you, I would "show my hand" to use a poker metaphor, only enough to let the Boss' Boss know that things are not right with the Boss. This will be a tightrope walk - you do not want to start spewing out months or years of resentments, which will help no one.

IMO the Boss' Boss is on a fact finding mission. Give him/her some facts that can be confirmed and acted upon, while at the same time remaining professional and not acting like you wouldn't **** on the Boss if he was on fire (even though that may be true).

Also please be sure and answer ALL parts of his/her questions - such as where do you really want to be in the future and where do you see your career goals, etc.

This is all good news, IMHO. This is opportunity knocking! Please treat it as such.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Midwest, when I read your post, I wondered if your big boss might have chosen a time when your boss is away to sit down with you and get to know you better, see where you're headed, how you might fit for potential advancement opportunities.

No crystal ball, of course, but just my two cents.

I agree with others, don't panic, maybe you can allow your mind to be open to unexpected possibilities? Best of luck, I'll be thinking of you.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Dont let ANYONE including bosses
steal ur joy.

Do you consider urself a good
person?

If u r in recovery like I then I
consider myself a good person
just getting well.

Im a good person, not perfect
and try to treat others the way
id like to be treated, yet i get
called to the office just to boast
someone elses ego.

Just be honest in all ur affairs.
Be honest and sencere from the
start and the rest will be taken
care of from Above.

As long as I have a good strong
coat of recovery armour on then
im being protected from all that
life throws at me.

Im realizing that its not just my
place of business that is filled with "azzes"
including bosses.

Every place has its demons. They
love to play with our emotions
and yet we cant let them see us
sweat.

Honesty in ur heart, in ur gut, ur
mind is best. No fluff. Just be urself.

You cant lose if ur honest in all
affairs. Honest with urself.

Thats a shield no one can break
thru.

Stay strong.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When my former, overbearing and abusive boss was away, her boss would come around and talk to all of us in a similar fashion. He knew she was abusive and overbearing and took the opportunity to gather information (he was a little afraid of her too). The problem was, when she returned, he'd meet with her and confront her with a list of grievances in such a way that she easily figured out where each complaint came from. So my experience tells me he's on a fact-finding mission about your boss. I honestly don't see a boss telling an employee how critical they are to the business and then firing them. Since the meeting is making you anxious, could you talk to him and ask if there's anything you can do to prepare for the meeting, or ask to push it up before the weekend? Nothing wrong with being a little proactive!
Just my two cents...
Nellie
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can only tell you to stay in today, don't worry too much about what 'might' happen. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I am no expert and have no crystal ball, but I tend to agree what the above posters are saying. Also, I do not know about your company, but in most places, it's the immediate supervisor that is the one that is given the responsibility to fire people. Yours is away.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
try to think of this meeting as a job interview.
I'd go prepared to get hired for a better position...

I would not be talking to co workers about this.
They are ...after all...your conpetitors for advancement.

I'd wear a blue outfit....not jeans...cause it is the
color for trust. Hair and nails clean and neat
shoes polished....no jangley bling acessories/jewelery
.no heavy scents or gum chewing either.

The new sober you has changed and whatever the otcome
being clear headed and sober is the best way
to work thru any situation.

Prayers for a beneficial meeting....
Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Agree, agree and agree again with all the other replies you've had.
Most importantly, if the Boss's Boss is out for information, be tactful, be honest, but diplomatic and do not vent. It will show discretion and loyalty to the company.
From my experience with lay offs (either side of the desk ) ,
you don't get an invitation to it. I happens suddenly and unannounced. I really don't believe that is the reason for the talk. Every company knows that disgruntled employees can cause a lot of damage, so why make them think they are becoming former employees.
Relax and prepare. Let us know how you get on.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tons of good advice!

Couldn't help thinking that it always served me best to be part of the solution, not the problem and try not to get emotional.

One of the most difficult, anxiety-ridden meetings I had with a Senior VP ended with him thanking me for presenting the facts and not getting emotional (it was a delicate subject about my boss, ironically).

I'd also be prepared to offer constructive solutions to back up the 'critical operations' comments and use this an opportunity for you to shine one-on-one with the big boss - he may value your input more than you think.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a tough position to be in, but as others have said, try to stay positive and relax. You can prepare yourself mentally to be in a good, positive place and hope for a good outcome. Whatever happens, you will get through it.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Midwest, I have been wondering how all this went... ?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The Shocking Truth

Sounds to me like he may be considering you for a promotion!

Congratulations
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I want to know too!! Please!!!! Sounded like a promotion to me too, but I understand your concerns. My husband is in the same ballpark. He was told there would be layoffs, forced unpaid time off, benefit cuts yada yada yada! He was panicking and I said, "You know what! We can't change it IF it happens, but I'm pretty darn grateful you have a job with benefits right now." So hard but find gratitude in this. Its there, but you might have dig deep.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Inquiring Minds need to know!