dui question

Old 10-02-2003, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dui question

I have this weird feeling that my husband got a dui but the whole situation seems not quite right. Does anyone know exactly what happens when you get pulled over? Do they take you to jail? If so what happens to your vehicle? Do you have to go to court?
thanks, paige
Old 10-02-2003, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I don't live where you do, but in Georgia if you are stopped of they pick you up...you go to jail to the drunk tank. ( this is a 1st DUI) They impound your vehicle. They set you bail according the violations (which takes about half the night) and then you get to call someone to come and get you....if you're not released before court starts the next day...you go before the judge in the morning....other wise you get a lawyer and have a date set for later. Then you go to the impound and pay more money to get your vehicle.

When my Dad got his BUI (boating under the influence) the county he lives in has a mandatory 12 hours holding from arrest time.

Constant
Old 10-02-2003, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

In our state you go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. He would have had to call someone to bond him out.

JT
Old 10-02-2003, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a loaded question because the laws are different in different states. As for personal expeience I have gotten a DUI. In massachusetts an I did the sobriety test(barely remember it) failed. I got taking in by state because I was on the highway. Any way my car was impounded and I went to court in the morning. Of course as an addict I tried to fight it but everyone in this state seems to get the same thing no matter what. So I lost my license for ninty days. Had to pay huge fines and had to complte an alcohol program which was I think sixteen weeks. I am not sure where you live but that is my story and it was a first time offence.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Someone else might have bailed him? I think all states take drunk drivers to jail...in fact, I think it's related to federal highway laws. Perhaps he got another related ticket...open alcohol in a car? You need to know though, it will affect your auto insurance rates too.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Paige...if he got a DUI believe me you will know soon enough. One sure sign is lotsa lawyer solicitations arriving in the mail all of a sudden. It is highly unlikely he can stay under the radar on this one. Let it go...

Hugs,
JT
Old 10-02-2003, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In NC you are given the breathalizer test either on the scene or at the Magistrates office. If you deny the test you lose your license for 1 year automatically. You go to jail and are put in the drunk tank until you sober up and then on to the regular jail population until you "ride" somes to get you. They will not let someone bail you out until you are sober. Probably so you'll remember it.You car is impounded and it costs about 100.00 to get it out if your lucky. Then you get to go to court and pay out the TAILPIPE for an attorney that really doesn't help out. Usually somewhere around $1500.00 You still lose your license or serve your time in jail. Doesn't sound like anything I want to experience ever!

Like JT said....you'll know sooner or later. Letters from different attorneys will flood your mailbox.

Take care,
Holly
Old 10-02-2003, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We are both in Utah Paige, and when my ex husband got his DUI he was taken to jail and the vehicle impounded. He lost his license for about 1 year though! Alchohol class and large reinstatement fees to get it reinstated.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband was taken to a nearby hospital for blood alcohlo test because their breathalizer was broken. But the police captain called me at home and had me meet them there. They released him to my custody and I took him home then drove back to get his truck with a friend.
Then he had a court date and we got a lawyer. He did a special program for first time offenders which included classes at the nearby rehab center.
Cost me in legal fees and for the classes.