Notices

7 months so far.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 months so far.

i can't believe it has been 7 months. i never thought i'd be saying that.

not really sure what to say but i want to get some words out. maybe someone will benefit or gain some insight. i've sat down many times in the last month to type out a little of my story but for some reason i end up deleting it.

in not particular order.

it's been 7 months and by now i've done everything sober that i used to do drunk, new years eve, parties, sporting events (the superbowl and i am from new orleans, i still can't believe the saints won) you name it. i enjoy doing these things sober and have even been the life of the party....SOBER. that was a strange thing that happened in such and honest and innocent way and didn't offend anyone. hell i was just eating cookies.

it's been a huge emotional ride for me, i've gotten support from lots of folks but also have gotten no support from folks i thought would have supported me.

the lack of support from some people was strange, i didn't push anything though, i'd just walk away or change the topic.

no one who knows me tries to get me to drink anymore, they know i won't and that feels good to me.

...but some have left me with comments like "i know you'll be back" or "we're waiting for you over on the darkside...."

i'd never say that to someone who has given this crap up. alchoholism is like prison, we drink because we can't help it, not becuase we want to.

i can distinctly remember many times saying "i am not drinking today" and i'd go on autopilot to the liquor store. all the while my heart was sinking in my chest. i didn't want to drink but at that time i didn't have the strength not to.

i see the heavy drinkers now and it reminds me of how i used to me, i am shocked and extremely dissappointed at what i was doing to myself, others around me, and in general how i was acting. it saddens me for them but it gives me strength. at the end of a party when everyone is sloppy my resolve is stronger than ever.

i say a prayer for every single one of them every time. if they ever need me for anything i'd drop what i was doing.. all they need to do is ask, i won't force myself on anyone but damnit i drop hints all the time

after a few months, once folks realized i was serious an awesome thing happened, people around me started drinking less. that is truly amazing to me.

my brother, who was on the same road i was, gave it up. that makes me very happy.

i think about alchohol ALLOT but there is never the urge to drink it. i wish i didn't think about it at all.

randomness:

i've lost 40 pounds and am in the best shape ever for me.

i plan on never drinking again, that is a huge statement but i am pretty sure i can do it.

i just imagine being able to say i haven't had a drink in 20 years!!

i don't miss any desserts and i don't plan to.

quiting happened by getting the flu, i didn't feel like drinking for a couple of days and i held on to that with vigor. one day turned into two, two turned into a week, a week turned into a month and my strength grew.

the day i quit, i was not planning on quiting, thank you to the higher power that stepped in and gave me that tiny window (foothold) it was all i needed.

ok, got that off my chest, time to go workout!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your seven months sober and your improved health. And good for you for sticking to your sobriety while others are just "waiting for you to come over to the darkside"... Be true to yourself, no matter what.

Again, congrats and big hugs! :ghug3
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

That's awesome, tabata! I hope that I too can one day say I've not had a drink for 7 months. So glad you've been able to do it.

I myself am just starting down this road. I've found AA to be incredibly helpful to me. Have you been involved in any type of program, or have you found that you've been able to abstain by sheer willpower?

Congratulations again!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, Tabata and I am glad you're feeling so positive about your sobriety.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

7 months is great!! Particularly the things you've managed to stay sober during, even more impressive!!

peace
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

snarf, i haven't been to any groups or used any type of system. i am not opposed to them by any means.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your success with us.....
Congratulations to you and your brother!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

7 months is great and inspiring! Whats really inspiring is all the positives just 7 months off of booze brought you! You are now in shape, 40 lbs lighter, having fun while being sober around drinkers, and positively impacting people around you! Thats awesome and I'm happy to hear you are doing sooooo well!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Tabata)))

Congratulations on 7 months!! It sounds like you've made some very good changes in your life - doesn't it feel great?!?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go Tabata!!!

Seven months ... awesome! Glad to hear you're feeling so good, keep up the great work a day at a time!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congradulations on your 7 months
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Tabata

D
Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks so much everybody.

this site has been inspritional for me which is why i intend to keep coming back and dropping a line.

thanks again.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

7 months is awesome good for you!!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
part time member

7 months is
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is awesome, great job.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done and that was a really interesting read, thanks.