Notices

Do withdrawals get worse?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do withdrawals get worse?

The question I am asking is as I keep falling off the wagon after 6ish weeks do the alcohol withdrawals symptoms feel worse. I do not mean DTs as such just feeling ill and stiff?

Edit: I am not asking for medical advice just peoples experiences.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every time I relapsed after a period of being sober my withdrawals got worse, not full blown DTs but worse all the same. Yes, I think they do tend to get worse, and I think there's a name for it: 'kindling' or something if I'm not mistaken.

Please get medical help in getting thru initial detox. Be safe and more comfortable and then don't drink anymore and you'll never have to go thru w/d again.

Yes, "kindling" is the term. Here's what I found when I googled it:

We reviewed the histories of 340 men and 60 women who were admitted for alcohol detoxification to determine if hospitalizations unrelated to detoxification increased the prevalence of seizures observed in these patients. Previous investigations on this cohort suggested that recurrent detoxification admissions increased the probability of seizure histories. Detoxification and non-detoxification hospitalizations were calculated from patient reports and chart reviews on patients admitted for alcohol detoxification. Discriminant analysis of each type of hospitalization and total hospitalizations for each sex revealed an increased risk of seizure activity correlating with non-detoxification hospitalizations, but the correlation was weaker than that observed for detoxification admissions and for total admissions. This correlation between hospitalizations and seizure prevalence supports the hypothesis that recurrent alcohol withdrawal may have a kindling effect.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Every time I relapsed after a period of being sober my withdrawals got worse, not full blown DTs but worse all the same. Yes, I think they do tend to get worse, and I think there's a name for it: 'kindling' or something if I'm not mistaken.

Please get medical help in getting thru initial detox. Be safe and more comfortable and then don't drink anymore and you'll never have to go thru w/d any more.

Yes, "kindling" is the term. Here's what I found when I googled it:
I am on day 5 now so over the worse but still do not feel "right". Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please see a doctor. Please. Be safe and be sure you're alright. And please don't drink again. It will only get worse.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that each relapse is harder to recover from, than the last.

Please do talk to your dr and good for you for your sober time!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Question? what constitutes a relapse? drinking a large quantity over a short period? or just 2-3 drinks can trigger huge physical problems and symptoms?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Speaking strictly for myself, I've had relapses that consisted of less than a bottle of wine and felt so sick the next day with anxiety that was off the scale, so in my case, anyway, the amount didn't have much to do with it. Just drinking ANY of the poison made me sicker than a dog.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
The question I am asking is as I keep falling off the wagon after 6ish weeks do the alcohol withdrawals symptoms feel worse. I do not mean DTs as such just feeling ill and stiff?

Edit: I am not asking for medical advice just peoples experiences.
I would say yes because you know better so each time you cross that line the mental side affects get worse,......apparently recovery is a buzz kill. I myself haven't relapsed but I've seen alot of people who have and I have to say no thank you I don't want to go through that. For me it's either all or nothing,...no in betweens!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
What are you doing in terms of finding your
way out of this drinking/stopping/drinking cycle?

I remember how fustrating that was.
Sorry it's happening to you...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bound to mate.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease for that very reason. Worse Hangovers/withdrawals = more medicating with more booze to get rid. Also like Spawn says the mental side of things is obviously going to be much more f*cked up. Writing on recovery forums with the aim of staying sober and then going out drinking again ain;t gonna do much for your self-esteem. The same as going to AA and going back drinking again f*cks your mind. It did with me anyway.

The only way to not have to ask that question again is to never take that first drink 'just for today'. Do everything that you need to in-order to make that promise to yourself.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everyone else: things do get worse - I know myself it took me longer and longer to 'recover' from each bender.

Go see a Doc, mate - then start thinking about what you can do to stay sober.

Willpower and determination are great qualities, keeping busy and exercising are good too - but they often don't go so well against addiction.

I think support is vital, spen.

D
Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Glad you are here....keep reading and posting!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do not mean DTs as such just feeling ill and stiff?
Feeling ill and stiff is not the DTs. Read up on the DTs if you are interested, it is a lot worse than this with up to a serious fatality rate. In fact one of the primary goals of treatment of DTs is to save the patient's life.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Delirium+tremens
Old 03-28-2010, 01:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Spen71,

Glad to see you on here and that just means that you might be having some clarity again. I'm curious as to how long these relapses every 6 weeks have been taking place? I cant agree more with all the previous posts. You should see a doctor and make sure things are alright.

Remember, alcoholism is a progressive and vicious cycle. Alcoholism is cunning and baffling meaning that maybe your alcoholic mind is validating the idea to drink because your withdrawals are getting worse. If your goal is to quit drinking and yet you are experiencing withdrawals from the previous drinking rendezvous then it doesnt make sense to turn to the same chemical that has caused this problem in the first place. The alcoholic mind will play tricks on you like that. I was told and have experienced this myself that when you relapse, you pick up just where you left off. I had 10 months sober at one point and when I relapsed, I didnt have just several shots but I went all out and ended up making a fool out of myself. Looking back at this last drinking relapse, it only took 2 full months to spiral out of control compared to before, it took a year to become insane. I wish you the best in dealing with all of this and please go see a doctor.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

..is every thing around you,ok?

..there are many reasons why we relapse...

..I hope you find your way....take care....oz..
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Spen
Sorry to hear about the relapse. Keep strong friend - you will get through this.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Spen - how are you doing today? Glad you brought this up, I had never heard of "kindling". I definitely had worse withdrawals each time I binged. As you said, not the usual stuff - I no longer got the traditional hangover with headache. I would get terrible anxiety, that creepy-crawly skin feeling - nerves on edge - heart palpatations. I can never go back there!

Please take care, spen. You can beat this thing and never have another withdrawal.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have had seizures for the past year....every month except for the last 3...and I was told about kindling...how with each seizure I had, it made my brain more prone to getting them...and the easier it would become to trigger them.....

this "kindling" effect is a BIG worry for me in my quest to get sober as I am afraid I might start getting grand mal seizures again after I stop......they are scary things to experience and I have gotten really hurt during them....

Anyhow....this is kindling with regard to seizures....I am sure the idea with withdrawal would be similar.....

Peace, Ya'll d(-_-)b
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did take longer to recover the older i got...i'm convinced that there it was a lot to do with the mental side of things as much as the physical, mental stress or anxiety for example takes a massive toll on the body and can make one feel very ill indeed.

I'm certain you go more mental (chicken oriental) each time you have a break from drinking and then go back to it without wanting to, doing something you know will cause you upset but doing it anyway...guess that's why they call it insanity...at some point if you carry on you will be pacing up and down talking to yourself good times!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The reason why I brought this subject was because after each relapse I have, It seems to take me longer to "feel right". Also it got me wondering (on one of my sleepless nights) if this was a common occurrence

Anyway I have been the docs to see about my depression as stupidly I use alcohol to deal with it. He has not put me on meds yet as the last couple of times I tried them I felt very ill. I have been touch with a well-being service and even though I e-mailed them on Thursday and they have not been in touch so will have to ring them tomorrow.