TV shows about addictions

Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

TV shows about addictions

What are your feelings about the TV shows that are on about addiction? Intervention, Addicted, Hoarders, Celebrity Rehab? They seem to be adding up...I'm not sure what to make of it... I do know, I would like to see a segment of what life is like on this side of the street.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, i'm codependent. i can't help but be fascinated with some of these shows. and yes it's immensely popular right now -- even dog the bounty hunter has elements of
12th step stuff in it.

i'll say i don't appreciate when they get a bit sensational. but i shore do love a recovery story!

my abf and i would make a point of watching celebrity rehab, and sober house together. it seemed like a nice way to stay connected regarding the whole sobriety thing that touches so much of both our lives. now that he moved out, one of us will occassionaly bring up the show and we'll have some discussion about something that happened.

oh...it's almost 9:00! gotta go watch dr. drew
Old 03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am captivated by most of those shows as well. I find them interesting and at times heartbreaking, especially when the familes break down crying and the people agrree to go to treatment. On Intervention, I get so excited when they play the happy music at the end the the person is still sober!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always look at the time when they end. If there is a few minutes left, they made it and there is a happy story to follow. If there is only a minute left, it means they left, and all you see are the words on a black background.
Originally Posted by justsomegirl View Post
I am captivated by most of those shows as well. I find them interesting and at times heartbreaking, especially when the familes break down crying and the people agrree to go to treatment. On Intervention, I get so excited when they play the happy music at the end the the person is still sober!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And how about Hoarders?!! On one episode a lady had a goat in her house..i don't know if it was dead or lying down though....One good thing that happens is that I always do chores after watching that show!!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I watch Dr. Drew's shows. AH used to get really uncomfortable when Celeb. Rehab was on and couldn't watch. Little by little, he's started watching with me -- now he even asks when it's time for Sober House!

The shows have sparked some really good conversations in our house. Not sure about any greater good there, and there's certainly an element of entertainment thrown in, but I do love to watch (and I'm NOT a reality show fan at all!) and am grateful for the doors the shows have opened for talk in our house.

Haven't seen Addicted yet, but do have the HBO Addiction series on DVD. Really well done -- lots of medical info mixed in with human stories.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I watch them occasionally. Yet am baffled simultaneously that addicts and soberhouse actually gives addicts a moment of fame! It's a sorry state of affairs that people with double digit children, addicts, 16 & pregnant are the object of our interest and they actually get a tv show. I'm going to start an MTV show named Calling All Codies!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

It's hard for me to watch the shows about addiction. I guess it's because I live with a drug addict and those shows depict what my reality is each and every day.. I want to watch tv to escape not watch another version of my life..

I do think that shows like this are good in a way. It makes the general public more aware of the disease of addiction.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My daughter watches all of them now. They seem to play a big part in her recovery.

I watched a couple of shows and that was it for me. When addiction walks into my home I insist it leaves. I don't want to see it on my TV, too.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
work in progress

I think they're pretty awesome personally. There are a lot of people out there who use the TV is their only source of info. It just may help somebody who may feel like they're alone and trapped.

I say, if it helps....it helps.

I like them...and watch them.

BTW> Dr.Phil has been doing A LOT of shows on the prescription drug epidemic. Good stuff!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do like how it makes recovery options more public. It is amazing how many times I sit in a meeting and am baffled at people who say they never knew that there was any help for addicts/alcoholics, they had never heard of detox or rehab or even an AA meeting.

I do also think it is hard for some addicts to watch. When I watch drunks I think they look so dumb (when in reality that was ME) and when my ABF watched anyone doing heroin he would make me shut it off as it was too painful.

It has its pros and its cons.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am another who can't stand these shows. I become outraged every time I hear how another lives off some form of social welfare because he/she came from a broken homes and is depressed and spends their life drinking or drugging themselves to death.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Addiction shows on tv.........

Hello Everyone,

I have watched Intervention when I found it by accident on my TV. Now my husband watches it, Celebrity Rehab, Sober House, but not Addiction because he is in bed when it comes on here.

We discuss some of the issues & I am the alcoholic in Recovery (21 years) & he is taking Oxycodone...don't remember which one is Brand or generic) for chronic pain. His last doc's visit was what needed to be done...his doc said that the State was suggesting he cut or end my husband's use of Oxy. Two of the docs he has seen while in the hospital also suggested something needed to be done about the pain med.

We had been dealing with multiple falls when my husband's leg would give out on him...he has one leg & uses crutches now...; He was to the point of considering suicide & told his doc if he didn't get something for his nerve pain that helped him, he would do it.

Watching Intervention & Celeberty Rehab/Sober House with me helped prepare him for what the doc needed to do & my H readily agreed to use the generic. It has made a world of difference but he is still in denial that the med change made that much of a difference.

He hasn't had a fall, doesn't sleep all day in his chair, & is communicating like he used to...with excitement in his voice & a smile on his face. We are both retired & I deal with severe arthritis + depression & anxiety so we do still have some bad days and a lot more good days.

kelsh
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I watch them. It helps me understand the addict better, I guess? A friend of the family was battling a hardcore addiction to pain meds. He got help after watching an episode and he's been clean for over a year now. I know it doesn't work like that all the time, but I think it does do some good.

I think it's something that kids/teens should watch.

My recovering hubby won't watch it. Too many triggers. When I do watch it, it's when he's at work or whatnot.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Count me among those who can't watch them. Nobody knows the long term results, the ones who appear to be losers just might make it next time...and the ones who appear successful may relapse tomorrow...we just never know in real life.

My life WAS reality show material, and it's important today for me to put that life behind me and go forward in my own recovery. If they show a mama kicking down a crack house door...you'll know that I sold my story and am cashing in on the popularity. Other than that, I'll take happier shows for now.

Hugs
Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I watch them. I can't watch the hoarders or the cutters but I do watch the others. Sober House scares me. There are too many hardcore alcie/addicts in there at once and some with mental problems. At least they have Will in there this time helping Jennifer. I think the shows are good in that they educate the enablers. The families have to learn to let the addicts have consequences. And I like the follow ups when they have gotten better. The girl with the inhalents was scary. I loved Rodney King in the last one. I liked Brigette Nielson. I hope Dennis Rodman makes it. Kerry Ann is something. She needs a spanking.