Notices

Cried my eyes out at the vet this morning

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Unhappy Cried my eyes out at the vet this morning

when I had to have my old sick cat put down. I know it was the last act of kindness I could do for him but still feel sh!tty ten different ways about it. I gave him a good life but animals just don't live long enough.

Only two good things came from this: I gave him a good life and a peaceful death, and I didn't want to drink over it... which is a big thing for me. This kind of depressing event used to send me to the bottle but not anymore.

This is for anyone who's ever loved and lost an animal friend:

SEPARATE LIFETIMES

We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the neccesary plan....

--- Irving Townsend ---
"The Once Again Prince"
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

((((LEAST)))) I'm so sorry. You did give him a good life and yes, you did do one final act of kindness. He was so blessed to have had you to look after him all these years. He returned that kindness in the only way he knew. He trusted you. You were both blessed.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Least we both know it was for the best, my deepest condolances on your cat.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Unhappy

I'm sorry to hear that least, that really sucks. I have a great cat who is getting older (she is 11) and I know that day is coming for me when I will have to make that decision and I know it's gonna suck. You have my empathy and my condolences.

Time for a new kitten maybe?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Least
A good life and a peaceful death.....what more could a pet ask for.
Big hugs for you today xxxxx
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

****{Least}}}}, please try to take comfort in the fact that your pets were always taken care of, very happy and they know they were loved all their lives.

my beloved Wylie-Coyote (maine coon)....died in his sleep on my bed last year, he apparently had a heart attack...he was never even sick...I cried for a month, his picture still hangs in the main hallway....it took me almost a year to decide we needed another kitten...to keep the other young cat happy...he lost his best friend.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, least, I'm sorry to hear that. I've had animals all my life and know the feeling.

Someone once said that they believe animals have souls and it's quite possible that they're really angels with fur.

I recently took a kitty in - where there's loss, there's also rebirth - amazing how that happens.

He's at peace but alive in your heart through love and memories.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Least, I'm sorry.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey least..My condolences also..know how your pets are your family..Special, We lost 3 cats this yr, The last just 2 months ago,was 14 yrs old, my wife had it from 6 weeks old,
died of old age..Just started losing weight and eating less..Then struggling to get up..then was sick the last week..and died in front of us..Making like a baby Kitten sound like it was going back to its mother...Very touching And sad ... Sure you gave him a great life...best regards.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Least

You were there with him when he needed you the most.....he will always be there with you. If you have never visited, then I would suggest looking up the Rainbow Bridge website on google.

I have some crystal in my living room. The day after I said goodbye to my dog, the sun shone through the window, through the crystal and made a rainbow. I had never seen it before but everytime, I see it now, I touch the rainbow and say hello to him. I know he is with us.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Least! You know I understand exactly how you feel! I am so sorry, but it is the most difficult and loving thing we can do for the old and very ill four legged companions we have.

My old FIV+ cat had a bad spell recently, and although he's better now, I have no false hopes he's got years left ahead.

My heart hurts along with yours, hon! :ghug3
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((((Least))))

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. Wow.

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Been through that and i feel for you, i have hung on too long before for selfish reasons i didn't want to lose them so it is the right thing to do for them, why should they suffer they don't have the same screwed up views on death and suffering that we humans do...no bottle for you today Least!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. Putting a furbaby down due to illness is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Cherish the memories.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Least, I'm so sorry for your loss. Know that your companion was well cared for and loved.
I can't post it here, because of copyright, but Google the "Legend of the Rainbow Bridge" poem.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

I'm sorry Least. I am sure your cat had a happy life, and being able to make this difficult decision as a last altruistic act of love shows how much you care for your animal friends. Big hugs to you.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My condolences, Least. I've been through it many times, & each time I vow, "never again" - but of course I always do it again, and always will. (Like the poem says.)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Quite a few years ago my daughter had a pet mouse. He was really tame and loving and smart. He developed a tumor, as mice and rats are often apt to do, and we took him to the vet to have him put to sleep before the tumor made him really sick and in pain.

The day before we had him put down we went to a professional photographer and had daughter's picture taken with the mouse on her shoulder. The pix were not cheap, but they were worth every penny I paid. I wrote a poem for my daughter as she was distraught over losing her pet.

Tears aren't good for photographs
So please don't cry over mine.
My life with you, thought short, was sweet -
Your love for me, divine.

Some people dismiss me as merely a 'pet',
But you know what they have denied.
It isn't the size of the creature, you see,
It's the love they have for you inside.

Thanks to everyone. I'm still bawling like a baby but I know my kitty is at peace now and living happily in God's Meadow with my other departed animals.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Least...we really don't know each other...but I am so very sorry for you for your loss. My Sadie Lou the hound, died almost three years ago, and I still shed tears over her. Some people never really feel the depth of love that we animal owners get to experience between ourselves and our pets. There is just something so sweet, and uncluttered about their dear little souls. You did give your pet the last gift that you could...to let him go with dignity and in peace. I am joining you in tears now...It is so hard. The rainbow bridge poem helps me to look forward to reuniting with my dear dogs that have gone before me. Here's the link if you would like to read the poem:

Rainbows Bridge Poem

Hugs to you and again...very sorry.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know how much your animals mean to you least. You gave your pet a wonderful life & she is now having a blast in kitty heaven waiting for you to visit one day.

Take Care,

NB