Notices

Just realizing I'm an alcoholic

Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sid

Just realizing I'm an alcoholic

Just joined and thought I would make my first post. After doing some reflecting recently I am just coming to the realization that I am an alcoholic. Guess that is what a DUI arrest will do sometimes.

I never thought I had an issue since I am an infrequent drinker and often don't have an issue with drinking too much. However, as I look back I realize that too often I drink more than I intended. Often feeling depressed and embarassed afterward. I realized. I realized that the amount I drank at anyone point in time depended more on the circumstances and who I was with rather than on any self control I had individually.

I've come to realize that it isn't the frequency with which one drinks but rather the results. To often my drinking had negative results. I can't really recall anything much positive coming out of my drinking. Plenty of negatives however.

In any event I felt I needed to seek out help and understanding with this new revalation as I was feeling quite outcast and alone. I attended my first AA meeting this past Thursday. It was a closed newcomer meeting and I felt immediately welcomed and uplifted. I attended my second meeting yesterday and my third today. I will probably attended a fourth tonight (Saturday).

Anyway, just thought I would say Hi and am looking forward to getting involved with this site and hopefully finding additional fellowship.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice one. Realising and accepting your reality ie- that you're an alcoholic, can be the start of a new life for you.

peace
Old 03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope we can help you get and stay sober. There are lots of programs for staying sober, AA is the most well known but there are others. Many people here just use SR for their support. I use a mix of AA, counseling, and SR. I wish you the best as you start a new and better sober life.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Sid

I've come to realize that it isn't the frequency with which one drinks but rather the results. To often my drinking had negative results. I can't really recall anything much positive coming out of my drinking. Plenty of negatives however.
Sounds like you've 'got it'
I found it much easier to move forwards once I realised all that.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't add much more to this thread except to say welcome to SR.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sid. You're on the right path!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there, Sid - welcome to SR!

The DUI may be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully nobody was hurt. You'll come to see those of us who lost an awful lot before we got the message.

Good for you for recognizing that the negative outweighs the positive and taking action to make a change.

Come around often; read, share, ask as many questions as you like. No post is too long or too short. You're in good company with people who've been where you're at.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your in the right place my friend Lots of wonderful people here
Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome sid, I had a DUI at age 19, I wish I would have sobered up then. I am 38 and finally ready to start a sober life. Good luck, the sooner you do it the better your life will be. There is a lot of support here.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community ..

I too found my solution in the rooms of Aa
and by beginning Step work.....a fantastic new life

Glad to see you here with us....
Forward we go ...side by side
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done!

I didn't stop boozing after my DUI - though, fortunately I did stop drink driving (Big deal. As I tell myself, it's not exactly an accomplishment to refrain from breaking the law!)

Sounds like you're ready to start the journey. After my DUI, I continued drinking but in the 8 years since then, alcohol hasn't done me any favours that I can think of.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I've come to realize that it isn't the frequency with which one drinks but rather the results.
It took me a long time to realise this. Every time I drank the craving was so overwhelming, I just had to drink more. Every time I drank I drank more than I intended to drink. I am an alcoholic.

In any event I felt I needed to seek out help and understanding with this new revalation as I was feeling quite outcast and alone. I attended my first AA meeting this past Thursday. It was a closed newcomer meeting and I felt immediately welcomed and uplifted. I attended my second meeting yesterday and my third today. I will probably attended a fourth tonight (Saturday).
Great, you are going to the right place. Being accepted for who we are is an important part of our recovery. There will be people in those rooms who have had a spiritual awakeing and are living a life which is happy, joyous and free - from from the obsession to drink alcohol - ask one of them to show you how to recover. Living this way is an experience not to be missed
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sid

Thank you all for your comments The craziest thing for me is that I was able to recognize the same traits in others that I have and realize they had a problem with alcohol, but failed to see my own problem. I did recognize that I didn't handle alcohol very well, but guess I had a short memory of the depression and embarassment from the times when I drank too much. Suddenly all those memories seem to be coming back.

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments. It is helpful.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

nice post sid.

real glad you enjoyed the closed meeting..

looking foward to your next and future posts.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I joined this forum about a month ago. I stopped drinking about 2 months ago. I am 53. I have stopped drinking before...one time I did it for 1.5 years. I never ever said that I was an alcoholic. I could admit to drinking too much, or to having a drinking problem, but I just realized the other day that I posted something where I actually admitted that I was. And it felt good. It's hard to work on something that you don't admit is there. Good luck Sid, and welcome. This place has kept me heading in a healthy direction. You will find lots of support and sharing here.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sid

The DUI sure doesn't feel like a blessing in disguise right now. Luckily nobody was hurt. Physically at least. Mentally I'm a mess. Really disgusted with myself. Although if it is the catalyst for me to stop drinking then possibly it is a blessing. I probably would have progressed further down the drinking path and maybe not been so lucky next time.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You'll probably feel terrible about the dui for a while. The important part is understanding that many people have gotten DUIs and have been in the same exact situation as you.

How you are going to learn from this and use it to change yourself for the better is how you're going to set yourself apart.