Fun with income taxes from the aexh

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fun with income taxes from the aexh

My ex's girlfriend emailed me this week-- and that's a topic in itself that I've posted on already-- and I didn't delete it; it was titled about taxes. So I read it.

Apparently, my ex husband claimed our daughter as a deduction on his tax return this year. He didn't have a copy of the divorce so he wasn't sure if this was his year or not, so he just took it upon himself to decide that it was. Without doing any research. Or contacting me.

This represents a pretty typical level of maturity and honesty from him.

I can't find my copy of the decree either, so I'm going to get another one from the courthouse today. I have a horrible feeling that my years for the child deduction are odd ones and his are even ones-- meaning he just committed tax fraud. Not a big fraud, just a petty, selfish, thoughtless one.

I'm trying not to react until I know for sure, but I feel slimy and yucky and that kind of crazy, helpless rage that has been my standard response to his treating me like I don't count, like my rights and needs equal zero, for the past decade. Blech, eeeeewww, gross.

Reminder to BuffaloGal: It was exactly this kind of behavior that caused you to ask him to move out!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ick...this is EXACTLY the sort of move my XAH would pull...in fact, I expect him to pull it within the next few weeks as he gets his taxes done (which is an amazing thing in and of itself since he always had *me* do them for him!).

*hugs*

sorry you feel so icky.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The positive here is that I feel some rare sympathy for his gf. $.25 says that she contacted me because she knows he won't, and is actually wiling to consider what the negative fallout might be... while my ex sticks his head in a dark, enclosed space about it. Like most good codies, she has a decent sense of honest communication. She's just barking up the wrong tree if she thinks she's going to train him in it, too.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it's your year to deduct her, deduct her. When your return clashes with his, the IRS will ask both of you for a justification by mail. Just return their form with a copy of the decree--and you'll never hear from them again.

He on the other hand will have the deduction disqualified and will get himself an audit. Sucks to be him.

At least that's what happened to me and my XA-husband when he tried to claim our 3 kids when I got the right per court order.