Views on theTeen Challenge progran

Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Views on theTeen Challenge progran

Has anyone personally experienced the TC program? They have one here in Milwaukee...
Some of the TC locations have very bad reviews on the web...
Such as being a cult..or just using people to make them $...or brainwashing. I am sure things are different at all their locations....
I went to take a tour of the facility and it looks nice...(in a bad neighborhood)
They do say the fee upfront is $485 and is non refundable...also they admit the drop out rate is EXTREMLEY high! Cost is about $1200 a month...some of which can be earned by the student and the rest is asked from relatives and friends of the student. Ideas?
Just wanted some input...
Old 03-18-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

As a program, it has a good reputation in Canada, I believe.

Costs here (in Canada) are minimal, even free for those who cannot afford it if a sponsor can be found. I think our government funds most of the costs for this not-for-profit program.

Others may know more about how it is in the US.

Good luck.

Hugs
Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's Christian-based. I believe it is long-term.

Who is dissing it? Somebody who does not see the necessity of religion? Somebody who does not like Christians? Somebody who was a participant in the program but was not ready for the commitment of recovery? There's really no way for you to find out.

I know that Teen Challenge springs from a man named David Wilkerson who wrote a book in the 1960s (I think) about his experience with trying to help addicts in New York City. He was a Christian. There are many Teen Challenge programs now throughout the United States funded by many Christian denominations. We have 4 here in Michigan. But each one is a separate entity (not like a McDonald's franchise). At first the program was focused at younger people, but now it is only open to those over the age of 18. They need to change the name.

Sometimes you can get on their own website and see how a typical day goes. Yes, it involves Bible studies. And if you are not comfortable with a particular one then see if there are any more in your state. Like I said, we have 4 here in our state.

I called one some years back. The young man answering the phone was himself a graduate of the program and had decided to stay on to help other addicts. He did want my AS to call himself to interview - they are looking for addicts who are somewhat willing to commit.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have personal experience with TC, but my ABF looked into going there. He felt it would be too over the top Bible-based - yes I've heard the term "cult" used - and I think I recall a piece of the program is in witnessing to strangers -- I could be wrong on that though. He ended up choosing the Salvation Army's program, which is also Christian (Baptist) based, a lot of church, bible study, etc, but not quite the degree of TC. TC just left a bad taste in his mouth, something he couldn't put his finger on but sensed that he didn't think was appropriate.

Most programming will involved either religion or a spiritual/God component, as that is an important part of the 12 steps of AA. I guess I personally don't like the "pushing down your throat" aspect that some programs involve. Black and white never sits well with me.

That said, I think pretty much all programs, that are step-based, will "work" if the addict is serious and surrenders their own will and does what is asked of them.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool

I don’t have any personal experience with Teen Challenge (I was way beyond my teenage years when I sought out recovery....LOLOL), but I did meet Dave Wilkerson back in 1963.

Yes, Teen Challenge was established in 1958 by David Wilkerson, an Assemblies of God pastor. The book he wrote, about his early ’ventures’ in trying to help some gang members and drug addicts there, is titled “The Cross and the Switchblade.”

Founder David Wilkerson incorporated the first Teen Challenge as a church, and all others are still today considered ‘churches.’ They are a Church first (drug/alcohol rehab is an offshoot of the Church). They are an evangelical Christian recovery program and a network of Christian social and evangelizing work centers. It is a 12-18 month program that serves drug addicts, alcoholics, gang members, prostitutes and people with life-controlling problems.

The foundational structure of Teen Challenge is the ministry of evangelism followed by the provision of discipleship to converts. Although they may receive monies from any and all denominations, Teen Challenge USA is a department of the U.S. Missions division of the Assemblies of God. Teen Challenge International USA is headquartered in Springfield, MO. They charter and grant accreditation, develop curriculum for and refer clients to Teen Challenge centers in the United States (in essence, they are exactly like a franchise). Another major component of the Teen Challenge structure is the Teen Challenge curriculum by Dave Batty. This is known as the Group Studies for New Christians and the Personal Studies For New Christians. All centers in the USA are required to use Teen Challenge curriculum, and there is an extensive certification process for teachers.

Since they are really a Church, I can see how some would see them as a cult or brainwashing. They are very strict, and not everyone goes thrugh their program; most are interviewed first.....as they're not just out to get folks clean/sober but to evangalize and make desciples of all.

NoelleR
Old 03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whatever works. Getting a little religion saved my behind. My other option was quickly moving towards selling my body and my soul to the devil to get a little more crack. so glad I chose wisely.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe that the heart of addiction and recovery from it is a spiritual matter and needs a spiritual solution. So I am grateful for programs like Teen Challenge and Salvation Army's program. And I'm grateful for AA, NA, Alanon, and Naranon because they also acknowledge the necessity of 1) recognizing a Higher Power and 2) encouraging us to open ourselves and our loved ones to that Higher Power.

Thanks for the background on Teen Challenge.

Hello-Kitty - i'm glad you accepted the invitation to choose the light side over the dark side.