My grandkids came to visit

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My grandkids came to visit

Sunday I drove down to AD's to pick up the grandkids for an overnight stay. They are on spring break this week, and Johnathan's dad had already taken him to his mother's.

Johnathan has been the most profoundly affected over the addictions/dysfunction of having an addict mother, and now living with his father while Alexandria lives with my AD.

He's normally extremely withdrawn, barely speaks over a whisper. It's also been difficult for me to find ways to 'entertain' him at my house because I had two girls, and no experience with boys till he came along.

He's 9 now, and appears to be more comfortable at my house. He brought his skateboard with him (as he did last time too), and also a Jenga game.

I think we had more conversations this last time than in several years put together!

I still had homework to do while they were here, but I scooted my chair over to the other side of my workstation and Johnathan got online to play a game they are allowed to play in school on the computer when weather is bad and they don't go outside for recess.

I was asking questions about the game as he was playing, and he was more than glad to explain it. It was wonderful to see him open up.

Later he asked to play Jenga with me, so we had a great time playing the ultimate Jenga tournament! He whooped my hiney the first two times (I've never played it before), then I took the next two. The tiebreaker went to me. He said I won because I'm older.

Alexandria bowed out of playing Jenga, but enjoyed herself by taking a long hot shower and then messing with her hair (she will be 15 in July). My greyhound Randy is absolutely smitten with her, and stuck to her like glue the whole time she was here. She's an animal lover just like the rest of the family.

I can't protect those precious grandkids from the dysfunction of their mother's addictions, but I can provide a safe and loving place for them when they want to come.

Thank God for recovery and the program of Alanon. I am no longer half-nuts with worry about things I have no control over, and I can concentrate on being a good grandmother to those children.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I wish, I'd of had my grand kids first
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I can't protect those precious grandkids from the dysfunction of their mother's addictions, but I can provide a safe and loving place for them when they want to come.
Perfect! That's exactly how I've come to feel about my custody time with my children

PS: I've read this several times cuz it makes me smile so much.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"I can't protect those precious grandkids from the dysfunction of their mother's addictions, but I can provide a safe and loving place for them when they want to come."

Wish you were my grandma! They'll always treasure this, even if when they seem not to care. :-)
Old 03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugh. I know the feeling. Sadly, I know the feeling.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wonderful!!!!! I am happy you enjoyed your time with them !
Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
what wonderful memories you are giving those children of trips to gramma's.....ah the gifts of sobriety!!!!!
Seriously, I've been blessed with things in sobriety/recovery that I never dared ask for!

When Alexandria was little, for some reason she couldn't pronounce 'Grandma', so she came up with 'Nonny'.

It's stuck ever since then. Nonny DeVon. Say that 5 times fast!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh what a special time to be able to spend time with grandkids! my kids wouldn't let my grands spend the night with late ABF. it really stunk! You're on lucky grandparent. Take joy in the small things.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Grandkids seem to make the years of hassling with their parents, all worthwhile.

Going with my eldest GD this arvo, to get the paper etc for invitations to her wedding later this year. Always love being with this bright, breezy and loving woman, one of the great joys of my life.

God bless
Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep showing them what sober, healthy life looks like. Having someone to mentor you in "normal" is so, so valuable for an ACoA! So is learning to have fun with someone.

Keep it up, Freedom!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, we didn't get to go invitation papers hunting today, as GD needed to go home and batten down the hatches, and I did the same here.

Cyclone on it's way, and expected to come close to our area about Sunday morning.

If no-one hears from me for a few days, you know I am offline and bunkered down, as it could get very windy and wet. A few prayers for us in the cyclone's path would be very welcome and appreciated.

God bless