Notices

just a "thanks"

Old 03-13-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just a "thanks"

i wanted to say "thank you" to you guys at SR. i can't tell you how tempting it was for me to drink over the last few days. there was nothing in particular that happened, just a feeling of general loneliness, and the crazy idea that "nobody will know..." i have not touched a drop for over two months now, and i can't imagine (oh wait! i can... i've done this before )... anyway, i guess sometimes i lose patience with things, and like someone else on here said, i want the good stuff (feeling good about myself, less lonely, decent relationship, better health) NOW.

what is it that they say? progress not perfection?
thank you for being here for me. just reading these posts really helps.

gg
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

And reading your posts helps me too! Thank you!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if you've all seen Seinfeld, but there's an episode where George's father keeps shouting, "Serenity NOW!" Cracks me up.
The posts help me, too, ghostgirl. thanks for your posts.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You an me too sister..today is the mother of all Days..seems theres a few goin thruogh the motions of this...15 DAYS ME.. best ever..and really havin to Dig deep to remain onboard the Sobertrain..triggers/cravings comin at me Bigtime, i see am not Alone today in this..good luck Ghostgirl Well done on 2Months..thinkin of Buyin a big fat Cuban cigar jus to take my mind of things..Dont even smoke no more!!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm just over two months without a drink as well and actually pictured myself going into the local bar and asking for a water. That is until I realized what a total toolbox i would look like sitting in a bar with some folks who can actually contain their drink. Thank goodness I now know that I can never ever have a drink regardless of the situation. (Even had a mind flash of a warm religous gathering where I had to decline a taste yesterday) Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

"We" Can Do it People.. ODAAT!!!:ghug3
Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Kerbcrawler,

Originally Posted by Kerbcrawler View Post
thinkin of Buyin a big fat Cuban cigar jus to take my mind of things..Dont even smoke no more!!
Of course you are. This is how the obsession of the mind tricks us into drinking again. It will try to get you to pick up something else under the illusion that it is good to distract you from the alcohol. Alcohol creates illusions. Eventually it will lead right back where it wants you to go - picking up the drink. I am sure many people here will understand this cycle of addiction.

The mental obsession to drink when the body is no longer physically craving is "cunning, baffling, powerful" .

The only thing which removed the mental obsession for me was to work the 12 Step program of AA. Being free of this obsession is the most liberating and amazing experience I have ever had in my life.

Well done everyone on your sober days.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Intention...I fear you could be right...Distraction Tactics..That lead you back to square one...Never bought the cigar..just lettin off, at a Tough day..
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Kerbcrawler View Post
Thanks Intention...I fear you could be right...Distraction Tactics..That lead you back to square one...Never bought the cigar..just lettin off, at a Tough day..
Good for you. Better to come here and talk about it rather than actually do it. One day at a time.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

the weird thing was that this morning i woke up feeling slightly "hungover"!! i had to ask myself how much i had to drink the night before... i had quite a laught at myself a few seconds later when it dawned on me that i didn't have anything to drink last night, and hadn't for a couple of months!! crazy!!!

kerb, i hear ya! it feels good to really "be here"; thats what i think of today. thankfully, the craving is not with me today. it wasn't really physical, it was pretty much mental. i bought some really tasty Indian food and had some fabulous carrot cake, rented a couple of movies, and had a nice quiet evening
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you ghostgirl for telling us how you feel. It means alot to know the posts are helping. I enjoy yours too. I definitely had phantom hangovers for a few months after I quit, by the way.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go, GG!

I had to fire that 'committee' in my head that said go ahead, no one will know, you can have just one.

Cuz the truth is that I would know and my recovery was about getting honest, especially with myself.

It's not always easy, but it helps for me to remember how much inner turmoil and guilt and shame I felt for sooo long while drinking - and how much I love feeling good about myself without it.

Stay strong. SERENITY NOW!!! (I love Seinfeld too). :rotfxko
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Way to go, GG!

I had to fire that 'committee' in my head that said go ahead, no one will know, you can have just one.

Cuz the truth is that I would know and my recovery was about getting honest, especially with myself.
Thanks for that Humblebee.

Yes, SR is vital for me keeping sober too.