Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

My sister joined the group "I love my mom for everything she's done" on Facebook

My sister joined the group "I love my mom for everything she's done" on Facebook

Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It makes me want to throw up. My mom is an enabler. Whenever my sister decides to come home I'm sure my mom takes her out to eat, shopping and gives her money hoping that it will change her mind about staying with her abusive, addicted boyfriend. If she really loved my mother she would want to get clean and leave her abusive boyfriend. I wonder how she would feel if she knew my mom has a book entitled, "When your heart is filled with sorrow" on her bedside table because of her. My sister makes me so angry. And according to my mom we aren't allowed to show her that because she's in such a vulnerable mental state.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry this is happening for you and your family. there is nothing you can do to change your mother or your sister. your mom will have to figure this out on her own, just like your sister has to.

it might help you more if you could focus more on you and what you can do for yourself to make it easier for you. its ok to be angry but staying angry too long, could turn into resentment and in the end, it can hurt you in more ways than one. i can understand that you hate to see your mom in so much pain because of your sister's actions but your mother and sister both have choices and so you. you can choose to not allow their actions to effect you in such a negative way or you can allow their actions to drag you down too. you and your family are in my prayers.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would agree with everything Teke said. But I would also add that If she really loved my mother she would want to get clean and leave her abusive boyfriend is maybe too simplistic. We try to learn that it not for love of us, or lack therof, that they do or do not choose to get healthier.

I hope you can get some peace with all of this.