Notices

Diabetes_Compared_too_Alcoholism

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Diabetes_Compared_too_Alcoholism

Folks I am really going through some things with this diabetes that remind me of early sobriety!

Ups & downs, confusion aka foggy thinking, etc. The only thing missing is the need for a drink!!!

Friday they switched me from Byetta to insulin on a sliding scale. The insulin made a big difference in my blood sugar, heck Saturday afternoon it was down to 128 and I did not have to take a shot!

The weekend mentally was pretty good, my head was clear & I was able to focus. Today I feel like I am in that fog I was in for several months when I first got sober, I am truly having to focus right now. My vision is whacked as well, I had to switch over from my prescription glasses I normally use when I am on the computer to a pair of "Strong" over the counter reading glasses!

My blood sugar this morning was 235 before I ate which is good compared to last week when it was over 300 when I was on Byetta.

Does anyone else have experience with how long it takes to adjust ones sugar levels if they are eating right & taking thier meds? I am in no danger of having a drink, this is simply another reason not to, but I would love to hear others experience with this.

Being an alcoholic patience is not one of my biggest virtues, as when I got sober, I want to be better NOW!!!! LOL
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One half teaspoon a day of cinnamon has been shown to lower blood sugar. I've been giving it to my diabetic dog (reduced dosage) for two years and his urine sugar has yet to test positive. Give it a try.

Are you getting daily exercise? Even just a good walk can help.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks least, you suggested that last week & I add it to my oatmeal in the morning.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I forgot I already told you that. Duh! I guess my blood sugar isn't going to my brain like it should...:rotfxko
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
at peace

Tazman53 if you haven't already found this forum it may be of help.

Diabetes Forum Join To Discuss Diabetes Symptoms Treatments Diets and More

It has alot of folks very experienced with diabetes
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

tom, thanks, I just registered.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many good books on managing diabetes.

One of the most popular is "The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes" by Bob Greene is a really good book. Bob Greene is Oprah's trainer and he has lots of great advice and information.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Taz, you can actually purchase Cinnamon in pre-dosed capsules to just swallow if you don't want to use it on your food too...I've seen them in the vitamin section.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Taz, I have had several family members and friends that have dealt with diabetes. I am grateful that I haven't had to endure so many of the issues that come with it, especially in dealing with the blood sugar levels. I just wanted to tell you good luck with all of it and that I hope you find a way to get it manageable to you can function optimally.

Have you done any research on the pump? I have a friend who's in his 70's and is doing awsome! He's had diabetes for years and he swears by that thing, he loves it.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I googled "natural remedies for diabetes" and came up with a lot of info. I've added a few herbals and supplements to his diet and I don't know what exactly is doing it, if not all the things together, but he's the healthiest diabetic dog. My vet can't believe how good he's doing. So I wo'nt stop doing anything I'm now doing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.