Notices

Feeling Great??

Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Great??

I need to ask...is this normal? I am 14 days sober today. I felt like heck the first 5 days and then all of a sudden...I feel wonderful...happy...energetic. I know that I am in a much better place..but is this just brain chemistry going wild??

I started working on myself and my reasons for drinking right away this time...I have so much faulty thinking...and I am doing a workbook free online called Moodgym. So much has changed already for me in just one week.

It almost like the too good to be true thing....im very excited...but a little worried about coming down to earth again....
Old 03-07-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Funnily enough i was just reading some old emails from last year when i first got sober in AA, about 2 weeks in and i was emailing a friend telling her how great everything was and how i had never felt better in my life...just very grateful thinking back that i did the work to stay that way one day at a time, y'know avoiding the usual crash and burn after x months!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey discoveringme. I think it's wonderful that you're feeling so good. That's awesome.

Just keep in mind that this is life and things can, do and will get haywire. Remember this moment that you're in and remember that what goes up must come down.

I swear, I'm not trying to be a downer but I relish the great moments in life in my sobriety but I know that there are going to be bad days too. Life does it's own balancing act.

Just know that there are many more days and weeks like this to come. Congrats on your two weeks!!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Discovering, I had a different experience when I quit, and that is one of the reasons I wound up in this site about a month ago. I didn't have much of a "thunderbolt" after I quit, it seemed like time just went on. My body didn't feel "remarkably" better, and I couldn't really see that much of a difference in my coordination. But I think that could have been due to my lifestyle, my not being very physically active, and I had my head down in a project non-stop....And then I would read other people after a couple of months, and it would come back to me that I actually did notice A, B and C reaction, just not to an extreme. I sort of created my own thunderbolt by focusing on the change and the decision to stay sober, and I have been getting tune with why my mind wanted to drink, and why it is something that will be with me for life. I haven't proclaimed my experience to every person I know offline, but I have experienced some doubts from people about the veracity of my experience (ie, that I am an alcoholic who should not drink and cannot drink). I can do without their beliefs, and I know I am on to something. My exasperation at their disbelief or lack of understanding is probably an example of "coming down" from the elation in having come back to life or the real world. Yes, part of the real world does stink. But we have a better one when we are not putting alcohol into our bodies.

That Moodgym thing sounds interesting, I might check that out a bit.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me it's just being sober- and the real you

Originally Posted by discoveringme View Post
I need to ask...is this normal? I am 14 days sober today. I felt like heck the first 5 days and then all of a sudden...I feel wonderful...happy...energetic. I know that I am in a much better place..but is this just brain chemistry going wild??

I started working on myself and my reasons for drinking right away this time...I have so much faulty thinking...and I am doing a workbook free online called Moodgym. So much has changed already for me in just one week.

It almost like the too good to be true thing....im very excited...but a little worried about coming down to earth again....
Same thing happened to me last year, man what a wonderful feeling. I was on a natural high for the months I was sober. Be careful. I thought I had it licked and like a snake in the grass I fell back into it. I need to go to meetings to stay grounded and hear/see what is still up there in our heads...waiting, but just humble advice, do what works for you. Also, as mentioned above, have a plan when you have that inevitable 'bad day', what will we do then? I plan to just exercise until exhaustion and pray to get through it without poisoning myself (which is completely illogical when you think about it- right?)
Love and Peace
Dub
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think accepting that just like booze/drugs there will be highs and there will be lows. Just that the highs and lows in sobriety are much less pronounced and so much more manageable.

My highs I wanted to kiss the Universe, so was no use to anyone ,and my lows I didn't want to get out of bed, so was no use to anyone.

Now i can accept my bad days safe in the knowledge that when i get through them I will be feeling great a for a long time! it is a great feeling when you work through a rough patch but stay sober throughout. The sense of pride and strength you gain from it is worth more than any fleeting high from a chemical.

peace
Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi Discovering, I am interested in Moodgym, I have to look it up too.

I'm on Day 20 and feel great physically and mentally for the most part....I've also found that I handle complications, issues and problems MUCH better when I am clear in my head....not everything has to be a huge deal.

congrats on your progress.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt the same way too. People told me I was on what's known as a "pink cloud" and to enjoy it while it lasts.

I didn't care for that negative spin on it (ie, while it lasts) so I made it a point to learn more about this "pink cloud" and what I could do to make it last.

A quick google on 'pink cloud' actually brought up previous thread from a year ago right here on SR:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ud-anyone.html
Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks sooo much for all your responses!! I doo have to remember that there will be bad days too. Im just thankful that right now Im feeling good and I can take things one day at a time!

Yes..Moodgym is really good! It uses the basic WUTIWUF...what you think is what you feel. Helps you recognize "events" or "triggers"...uncovers your thoughts about these events, which trigger your feelings, and influences your behaviors. OK Im long winded..lolol....anyway..just check it out!!

PEACE!!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

I have also discovered another helpful (free too) CBT site called "living life to the full"
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Discovering -

For me, the key is actively working on my recovery - each day. (SR, AA, helping other alcoholics)

Some days are great, most are good, and some are not great - but I now have the tools to deal with each day as it is.

It is important that we don't allow the "pink cloud" to fool us into thinking that we have this thing solved and that we don't have to do anything for our recovery anymore. This will lead to relapse.

Look for those voices telling you that you "can drink again" based on any number of justifications. When you can deal with these, then you are building your tools.

Keep it up.