A lot of years

Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A lot of years

I just realized something else after reading some posts about how long others have been addicted and are in recovery....my AH is 48, I am 35. He has been addicted to drink and drugs for a very long time. Took his first drink at 11 and stopped 3 years ago, he took his first pills at 15 and has a plan of stopping as you know.......but I am beginnng to think someone who has been addicted almost as long as I have been alive what are the chances they are really going to be sucessful?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He's been at this a long, long time. No idea about the chances.

You can only decide what's acceptable to you. And that includes letting go of hopes and dreams and most importantly, the outcome.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know and that's the sad part of all this.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((June))

I have heard speakers in AA that talk about getting sober after 40 plus yrs of drinking - then living long enough to have more yrs sober than yrs drinking - not many but a few -

I have seen people in the 60's get sober/clean - who have been active drinker/users all their lives

My thoughts and what I have been told in the programs of recovery is as long as there is breath there is hope - don't look at chances - give it your HP and let it go.

You already know it's up to you to decide what is best for YOU and YOUR recovery - remember if you decide to stay for today - enjoy each moment - Tomorrow you may wake up and decide it's time to change that decision.
If you decide to leave and circumstances change with his recovery - there is nothing stopping you from changing your mind about that too!

Wishing your HP's very best!
HUGS,
Rita