Need an answer

Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need an answer

It's me again. Tough day. AH is having strong cravings, feels miserable, and is getting short tempered. Today is day 7 without pills. He was put in 5 day treatment center last Wed. Started on 30mg methadone and weened to 5mg by the time he was discharged on Sunday. No methadone since just prescribed muscle relaxers, vitamins, and NA meetings. What I'm wondering is...everywhere I read it says that days 2-5 are the worst then things start to slowly improve. Since this is day 7 Iand by the worst so far, I'm wondering if it could be the methadone that delayed his 'worst days' or if this is methadone withdrawal?? Also, some suggest he start methadone again if things don't get better soon and somke say he shouldn't. He tried 28 day treatment before and two days after stopping methadone went right back to the pills. What can you tell me from your experiences? Thank you for your help.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unhappy

just wondering about the methadone and the time line. He said he caught himself talking to people who wern't there overnight last night. it has been 7 days since pills and 3 days since completing 5 day rapid methodone detox??
Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We can share our own experiences here, but you might need to call a doctor or the clinic for specific medical questions.

Anvil hit it on the nose, he'll have to learn to live without drugs, and in the short term I've heard that's fairly miserable.

Are you able to find any Al Anon or Nar Anon meetings in your area? I found those to be incredibly helpful for me.

Hugs to you, glad you found us.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Methadone questions should go to his doctor. But as far as his detox, he's just going to have to go through it to get through it.

Best advice for friends and family members? Hands off the addict. This is his battle to fight. You didn't cause it. You can't control it. You can't cure it.

Maybe a little space would be a good thing for both of you right now so that he work his recovery and you can start on yours. Alanon? Naranon? Coda?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your responses. I am a co-dependent through and through so I keep trying to figure things out and fix things. His extreme irritability and talking to people who are not in the room worries me because of our children. His continued use of pot worries me alot but he says once he gets through the withdrawals we'll talk about it. He is gone to NA now.

Yes, we do have al anon. I'm in a small town so there isn't anything else. I want to go as soon as I possibly can but due to a very complicated foot surgery I can't get out for another 2- 4 weeks depending on how I do. Makes things super hard because I am only allowed out of bed for 10-15 mins. 2-3 times per day. Really looking forward to going to Al anon when I am well enough and praying I can find a sitter. For anyone who is intersted my story is in an earlier post today 'what a mess'. Thank God for you all. My new best friends.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

7 days clean from pills, 3 days clean from methadone. This is like a whiskey drinker only drinking beer. Methadone is still an opioid and you can even OD on it (google it if you want to see a shitload of articles). He is likely deep into withdrawals right now. And he is still smoking pot. Good luck and hang in there.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

methadone has a long half-life, which means that it is in the body much longer than quick-acting, quick-metabolizing opiates. it will be in his system for awhile yet. the w/d from it is also i believe worse than with other drugs. however, he has started that, he should let it run its course. is he at home with you? are there any comforts in place? you can find info to help with that, i.e. epsom salt baths, immodium (if he has intestinal issues), gatorade for hydration and electrolytes. if he is committed, he will stay the course, even if it sucks for a few more days. the alternative is way worse, and then he'll have to start over from square one again one day.

wishing you strength.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful rca

praying for you and yours. hope it better soon for the both of you.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with all posts, most importantly, the more active a person is in their OWN recovery the more chance of success. That's why the HANDS-OFF advice is a good idea.
Good luck and hang in there, this too shall pass...