active vs in recovery?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LS2

active vs in recovery?

So, I am with my Afiance (planning on leaving...someday...but with 2 kids its been hard_ and we went through the whole me confronting him on his drinking so as far as I have known he has been dry for 2 weeks. Since he is not in any programs like AA or therapy and refuses treatment would that be considered an "active" alcoholic or an alcoholic in recovery? Or do I just refer to him as a "dry drunk"?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

He is sober.

I think the proper lingo used on the forum for a person still drinking on a regular basis is: Active Alcoholic

Sober means no longer drinking.

RA is Recovering Alcoholic which means the alcoholic is doing some type of recovery work, be it group support, private counseling or self-help - all with a focus on learning new life skills.

Dry Drunk means sober without recovery work, but still manipulating, denying, blame-shifting, lying, outburst of anger, short tempered; basically all the alcoholic behavior without alcohol.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello there LS2, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by LS2 View Post
So, I am with my Afiance.... Since he is not in any programs like AA or therapy and refuses treatment would that be considered an "active" alcoholic or an alcoholic in recovery? Or do I just refer to him as a "dry drunk"?
It doesn't really matter. You've used "Afiance", and that explains it quite clearly. Whether he's in a program or therapy or detox or active or recovering or any of that is not the point.

The point is how his _behavior_ is affecting your life, and what you intend to do about that behavior in order to protect yourself and your children.

If you want to have a little fun with it, I've heard some interesting descriptions of partners

LOC = Lump On Couch

40B = 40 yr old Baby

GBH = Garage Beer Hider

My fav is from a friend of mine back in L.A., refering to his wife. It fits my ex perfectly as she was seeing 3 other married guys (that I know of) :

RAH = Run Around Chick

So call him whatever you want, we'll understand

Mike