What a pair of quitters

Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a pair of quitters

RABF is still sober, and as of 2 weeks ago has not had a cigarette, going cold turkey from 50 a day. I joined him thinking it would be easier as I was not enjoying it much and was down to 5 daily.
We were also told we would be over the worst by 3 days, and the cravings would ease right off after a week. HA HA!!!

If he says just once more, "God, I could kill for a smoke", I will be up for murder.

Gave me money this morning and asked me to get "a loaf of tobacco", so don't have to think too hard about what is foremost on his mind, do we?

I asked him which was hardest for him, quitting drinking or stopping smoking, and he was adamant that for him, giving up beer was a doddle compared to not having a smoke. Reckons this is the longest 2 weeks he can remember....I agree.

I tried to get him to stop 2 years ago, when first diagnosed with the same Emphesaema that killed his dad, but he was still drinking and both went hand in hand.

Hope things improve fast, cause it sure is not my idea of healthy fun.

Help!!!! Anyone with some ideas? Please!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know people who have had success with the gum, the patch and with Chantix. It's incredibly difficult to quit cold turkey. From what I understand from friends who have quit substances and alcohol - this is tougher.

There are support groups for this too, no? Perhaps you can find one so you can talk with others who really know what you're going thru.

BIG hugs to you both. It will add years to your life!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know of this website which may have some helpful links
QLD - Quit because you can

D
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Jadmack)) - I used the patches, but I was also at the point where I was really, really ready to quit smoking. I lasted 3 days short of 6 months, got stressed out and went back to smoking "occasionally"...which led back to 1-1/2 packs/day for about 3 months.

I was totally disgusted with myself again, and used the patches again, and now have about 6 weeks. I know people have tried various things, but the patches worked for me, as far as the physical cravings. I just had to find things to do with my hands, as I found out so much of my days and nights were linked to the physical act of smoking. That part lasted about 2 weeks, I think?

FWIW, I live in a house with 2 other smokers..my niece smokes my "old" brand. Occasionally I think of lighting up, but not enough to actually do it.

I also think this doesn't really compare to when I gave up crack, and is..in many ways, harder. Crack I did in secret...in hiding. Cigarettes were legal, I could do it almost whenever I wanted. Therefore I did it much more often than I did the crack and it was more a part of my daily life.

On a good note, I feel much better without the tobacco and I actually feel like a "non-smoker". I've also saved a good bit of money

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Good on you Jadmack for quitting the smokes! I quit the smokes, then the vodka. I am glad they are both gone, baby, gone!

Peace and (((hugs))) to you as you continue taking care of YOU!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts and encouragement. Unfortunately I am forbidden to use patches or medication as they go against a couple of my heart tabs...Damn it. So it is cold turkey or nothing. I have given up before for Lent, but after 50 years of smoking it is hard to get my head around that word NEVER.

Abf is amazing me by sticking to it for this long, and as he said he's done it hard, so it will help him where drinking is concerned too. He knows that if he has a drink, it will lead to more and then he will get a packet of cigs and back to square one for both of them.

He reckons the thought of going thru this all over again, plus detox from the drink is the most terrifying thought he could have, and knowing my reaction scares him witless.

I told him it would be the end if he picks up 1 more drink, let alone more so multiply my reaction to starting booze and baccy by the factor of 10.

HOMICIDAL.

Our HP's are working overtime and please God we will get thru this.

God bless
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck for both of you -I'm coming up to three years smoke free after smoking 30-40 a day for 15 years. It's a good feeling

D
Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I finally quit smoking in 2003 after trying for about a year using patches. I finally quit when I had had enough and did it cold, despite XAH still smoking. I decided that those cigarettes were not going to be the boss of me, I was (hah!). So I got stubborn. It worked - looking back it worked because it was one of the few things I actually had any control over - XAH was very controlling even then.

XAH didn't quit - oh he said he would and has been saying that for over 10 years. But he supported me by not smoking in front of me and not smoking in the house (think he wanted more cash for beer??). I used to snack on raw carrots or chew gum when I got a craving. I did deep breathing exercises to help relax me - taking deep breaths is one of the relaxing side effect of smoking and I didn't want to get more stressed out quitting! I also tried to avoid my 'hot spots', where the habit to smoke was almost automatic.

You can do this! My mum quit a few years ago after almost 40 years. It can be done!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A guy at work takes walks when he has a craving for a smoke.

HUGE admiration for your JADMACK and to your RABF! I won't tell you my story, it would only serve to discourage you. Suffice it to say that I still smoke.

Are you smelling things better yet?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh Jadmack well done on making the choice to quit! It sure wouldn't be easy after so long.

I stopped smoking 7 years ago......had stopped and started a few times but just decided enough was enough and just stopped completely Christmas 2003. It took a while not to want one but it is so so worth it 7 years on.

A friend of mine who smoked for 20 plus years got one of those fake cigs (sorry guys don't know what they are called! am sure someone else will though) but he use to 'drag' on that instead which helped him immensley.....and he hasn't gone back to smoking several years on. No other advice really to give but just wanted to add my support to your post. You always have such wonderful wise advise and experience for many of us here which is so very much appreciated thank you

You CAN do this!......take one moment at a time if need be....keep us posted and take Phiz
Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 2 months ago and I swear by these Nicabate 4mg mini mint lozenges. I live in Oz and you can get them in Coles supermarkets. They are amazing!!! Please, give them a try today!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((Jadmack)) - just dropping by to let you know I'm sending you major cyber hugs and prayers and encouragement! You are SOOO very supportive of everyone and have the greatest sense of humor....I want you to be around a long, long time so I want you to stay quit (how's THAT for selfish?!)

It did take me 2-3 weeks to get past the habits of smoking..reaching for them in my car, when I was on the laptop, stuff like that. It's like my hands didn't know what to do! I've known of people who substitute lollipops, peppermints or something like that.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was thinking about when I wanted a cigarette and like RABF it isn't really a nicotine craving, it is more that our hands are so used to handling one, and our minds have put actions we do, with having a fag.

RABF is unconsiously feeling for the tobacco pouch when on computer, as I found myself doing.......it is as if we have been programmed to this. RABF bought $25 worth of lollies, and pigged out on them.....If I did that I would be rolling not walking.

Now to UNPROGRAM us.......Trying excercise, doing things that keep my mind and hands too busy to think or miss handling the cigarette.

You know I walked into a friend's home yesterday and the smell of stale smoking hit me as never before. Boy did I ever get out of there fast?
Went to RABF's for lunch, and could smell the roast chicken ages before I got there.

Thanks Impurrfect, be as selfish as you like about my hanging around for a long time.

I get the idea that this experience will teach me some new aspects of myself along the way, as well as help my health etc.

God bless
Old 03-01-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I smoked 20-30 full strength cigarettes a day. I quit using Alan Carrs method, when preganant with DS, and went back to smoking 2 and a half years later, then I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with DD, that was 2.5 years ago, I'm pretty sure I've cracked it this time.

part of what helped me when I was experiencing a craving, was to try and really feel it, when I tried to deny it, or distract myself or something it felt enormous and never-ending and excrutiatingly painful. When I focused on it (where is it painful? in my head? no...., in my stomach? nooo....) tried and describe it and then force myself to relax into it, letting go of all of my muscles, I found that it went away, the craving was mostly imaginary but also I was attributing the tension I was feeling to "craving".

Talk about it a lot, until you bore even yourself, you are doing the one physical thing more than any other which will help your health and quality of life. Celebrate that, congratulate yourself.

cigarettes serve no purpose, they create a craving that provokes an anxiety that you have to alleivate with another cigarette, which in turn creates an anxiety that you have to alleviate with another cigarette..... smoking doesn't releive tension it creates it. A smoker smokes to reach up to the same level of calm that a non-smoker walks around in all day long.

good news is that your physical cravings have actually gone now, all you are really left with is the habit and your learned beleifs about smoking and smokers: Examine those.....look for magical thinking, you have ALL the tools to do this.

I never think about smoking ever now, and haven't for ages. The greatest tool for me was ACCEPTING that it wasn't hard to give up smoking, that actually I had done it every night for an 8 hour stretch as I slept, without waking up desperate for nicotine. Yet if I went an hour during the day without a cigarette I was climbing the walls. what did that tell me?

and fianlly, just because it isn't hard doesn't mean that those pesky nicotine receptors wouldn't have a few cunning death-throe tricks to throw at me, so the final couple of tools were:

1) don't smoke, no matter what my brain tried to tell me it was a trick that wouldn't last long if I examined it, felt it and talked about it.

2) remember this is a choice, I am choosing to STOP smoking.

3) if that didn't work and I still wanted a cigarette then I accepted that. I wanted one: big wahoo. there were lots of things I wanted: a holiday home in the sun, bigger boobs, fabulous shoes, I spent time thinking about other things that I wanted and how not getting something I wanted wasn't the end of the world.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Jadmack...you're very brave to tackle tobacco addiction. I've seen many friends and family struggle with it.

The truest "success" story is my uncle Bob (yah I have an uncle Bob), who is currently a RA. He quit smoking through acupuncture. Yes, I know, it sounds hookey, but it actually worked for this 2 pack a day smoker. I believe the point of the acupuncture is to reduce the cravings so that the first 3 days are more manageable. There's a treatment each day for the first 3 days of quitting. My uncle tells me it worked really well for him; he further said that it was easier to quit smoking than it was for him to quit drinking his 2+ bottles of wine a day.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a therapist around the corner here, who practices both accupuncture and hypnosis, so I may be giving that a go, as I figure firing all guns at the demon may work well.

Thanks for all the support and ideas you gave.

God bless
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Well Jad, you and I are BOTH quitting at the same time. I relapsed this morning and am worried by it. But I'm not giving up. This time, though, I think each time I have a craving I'm going to try something I've never tried before. I'm going to pray to my HP for the strength to abstain And I'm going to pray for strength for you too. I'll let you know how it works out. Oh, and remember, every cigarette takes like eleven minutes off your life. Keep count of every smoke you DONT take and start adding up the minutes!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I quit 3 yrs and one month ago. I had gotten myself down to smoking only about 5 cigs a day, but those last five were brutal especially driving in the car, that was a weak point for me. Long drives were the absolute worst! When I made the big drive in the moving van last year away from XABF, I thought I was going to come out of my skin.

When I quit, I got hooked on lolly pops like Mr. Jad. I figured the extra calories on someone already working out and dealing with a binge eating problem were just a drop in the bucket.

It was a heck of a lot easier to get off the lollipops than the cigarettes down the line, though that's for sure.

It still need a little something when I'm driving so I keep sugar-free candies and gum around for those moments.

It's an uphill climb off cigs Jadmack. You try any and every assistance you can to manage it. It will be worth all the effort when you can put those cravings in their place!

You know, I still have dreams that I light up in. It's weird. It feels so unnatural thinking of grabbing a smoke when I'm awake, but when I'm dreaming it feels like old times. Ug!

Alice
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Its a good idea, Jadmack - homeopathy, acupuncture, bach flowers, aromatherapy - I've seen all those work for me or with close ones.

Think of a cigarette as a day less to enjoy a sunset or a chocolate or the good SR friends. Of one day less of suffering for your partner, friends, daughters/sons, nieces, who would miss you very much if you get any of those nasty diseases.

My granddad died of emphisema (sp?). He used to smoke tobbaco and he was dying of it, and still smoking at the hospital bed. (what kind of hospital was that??).

Anyway he died before my sis and me were born. It would have been nice to meet him.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm still laughing about "a loaf of tobacco". That's funny. Quitting smoking was sooo hard, but then when you do and you're over the worst, you wonder why you didn't quit years ago. I don't miss it at all anymore. I really enjoy breathing.