Notices

just new and a little bit nervous

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just new and a little bit nervous

Hi Everyone, I have just found this site after a few days of searching the net. I haven't had a proper look around yet...it a big site... I just wanted to introduce myself. I have long hid my head in the sand over my addictions, explaining them away as normal or even as 'necessary'.I now realise I am an alcoholic and since I live in a semi rural part of Australia and have anxiety, panic and agoraphobic issues,getting to help is going to be a large hurdle. I am not sober yet, I think that maybe a way off. I drink 2-3 bottles of wine a day and am on xanax for the panic. Some days I start very early, these times are always related to the panic not a hangover or 'want'. Most afternoons around 4-5pm I will start 'craving' a drink, even if I do find a way to distract myself I will start at 7pm....I know this is no way to live, my kids are old enough to notice now and I have never hidden the fact that I drink because I thought THAT would make me an alcoholic.....anyway I will join in on chats and conversations in the hope that I get the courage and maybe some hints on getting on that road to rcovery.
thankyou all for reading this

Ps I spelt happiness wrong in my name....annoyingly i can't seem to change it...grrr.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile ch..hi..

..welcome,this a great place to start a new life..

..another ex wine drinkin' aussie here..

..keep postin'....OZboy..
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ChasingHappiness

Only admins can change usernames once they're registered. I'll drop a mssg in for you.

I know about being stuck at home - slightly different reason for me - I'm disabled.

I'm still disabled LOL and I'm still largely stuck at home - I didn't go to AA...I just was really really scared of dying, I hated the sunup to sundown drinking life I'd made for myself, and I thought I deserved at least to try for something better.

I made it - nearly 3 years now. It wasn't easy - but the good people here helped me, and I know they'll help you too.

If you find that SR is not enough to keep you quit, and it happens - I hope you will consider other options tho - counselling maybe, even AA.

It will be difficult but nothings impossible - I'm assuming you already leave the house to go to the bottle shop and shopping and the doctors?

There are far more effective and less damaging ways to treat anxiety than with alcohol - but you may have to go out and meet them, CH.

And speaking of Drs - please do speak to yours - benzos and alcohol is a bad mix and I strongly recommend you get some medical advice about that before you go off either.

OK thats enough from me

You'll find a lot of help and support here CH - good to have you onboard.
D
Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another alcoholic wine drinking aussie here.

I am on day 6.

I also cant get out of my house to get help per-se as my child is disabled. I live down in sa.

Goon sacks and cheap beer are evil.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you joined us....
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome, and I fixed your name for you!

Dee is absolutely right. You can find a lot support and inspiration here. Beyond that, there are many roads to recovery and I hope that you find something that works for you.

By the way, it could be that alcohol is triggering your panic/anxiety. That's what happened with me. I had anxiety/panic attacks long before I began to drink. I saw the drinking as self-medicating, but it made things so much worse. Now, sober for a long time, I still have the anxiety issues, but I have learned some things that help me to manage.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ozboy, I look forwardto getting to know you.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chasing Happiness - another Aussie here too!! welcome!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

3 years Dee, that is amazing,well done. I hope to say those words one day too (preferably in about 3 years...lol). I'm glad you understand the isolation thing, although yours is a physical disability and mine is a mental one, at least you can understand....
I will be using this site to meet people, chat and get started, I do intend to go to meetings though,I need someone to travel with me at all times so it will be a case of convincing my hubby to take me, he already does so much but I know once he see's me trying he will do this for me.
I am in the process of changing psychologists as i am just not getting the results from this one, maybe my fault not his, but I really need to work on this anxiety (which I have had all my life, panic for 26 years and agoraphobia for 24.....)
I have withdrawn from xanax before, to have my 2 children but life has gotten worse, we moved recently to this small town and beautiful as it is i am lonely and get major feelings of 'aloneness'like there isn't anyone else in the world that knows or cares about me....quite common in anxiety states I hear but scary just the same....
thanks for all your advice.
CH
Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well done VTC, you are doing well to get to day 6. Another one a bit housebound, must be a hard situation for you, if you need to chat, that is something i CAN do.
xx
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HI DramaPrincess, a few of us Aussies hey? good to 'meet' you.
xx
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thankyou CarolD, I've taken the first step.

xx