Notices

5 days...

Old 02-20-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days...

I posted hear a few days ago. After 15 years of heavy drinking with the last couple increasing, I have stopped. Upwards of a 5th a day as of late. I have done this on my own and have only been taking Bcomplex with lots of water. Sleep has sucked, but that is about the only bad effect I have noticed. It is funny, but things appear to be clearer already. I do not know if this will be for a month, a year or for the rest of my life. In a perfect world, I could drink occaisionally and still maintain my life and responsibilities. Due to the last couple of years, I don't suspect this will be the case. As I think about it, I have always drank my entire adult life. Usually to a drunken state. Daily drinking began about 15 years ago (I am 46) and has gradually increased over the years. I have a job and a family that I fear I will lose if a change was not made and so, I have decided to make that change. I am an independent person and do not want to get involvoved with support groups. I have a couple of friends who have recently stopped or are planning on quitting in the next week due to medical issues. We have been talking a lot and are looking to each other for support and encouragement. So far, I feel real good about things and reading here has helped me at night when I would usually drink to end my day. Thanks to all.

I have one question. Does anyone have experience with Kudzu? If so, could you please share your thoughts?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you found us, and it's great that you have some friends to support you. There is also lots of support here, so keep reading and posting. And, good on taking the B vitamins. Alcoholism robs us of those vitamins and they are usually depleted when we begin to recover.

I have never used Kudzu, but maybe others have.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I do not have any experience with kudzu. I don't know anything about it, but I would be very surprised if someone else doesn't stop by with info with regard to it. This place is full of support and information. It will only help you in the recovery process.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Try the search feature that's available here on SR for all threads or posts with whatever keywords you like.

So many forums with SO much information is already available here - someone may have already posted or replied with the same/similar topic.

All the best to you ~
Old 02-20-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you joined the family. We are here to offer support and information to help you stay sober. I wish you the best.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome rockindog! I think there was a discussion about kudzu in the past. Some side effects & warnings were brought up at the time, if I remember correctly - but it's apparently been helpful for alot of people. I use St. John's Wort & it seems to help me stay calm & upbeat - but I'm not really sure if it's the herb that's doing it. Could just be I have a better attitude as the fog clears.

It's great that you found us and we look forward to being part of your recovery. There are some wonderful and caring people here who helped me get my life back. Congratulations on wanting a better life for yourself and your family. You can do this.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've warned on kava before - never had kudzu.

Anyone taking complementary medicines, like herbal preparations, should really run it by their doctor, especially if they're already taking medications, or in uneven health.

D
Old 02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome Rockindog, congrats on your decision, i'm on Day 5 myself....

the only thing I use is Valarian for sleep along with tylenol, but with ALL herbals you have to be careful as they can interact with real meds..(...not allowed to give advice, but for example Valarian exacerabates anestheisa if you have surgery)....

in the past I have used SAM-E for mild depression, but i wasn't drinking heavily at the time....you need to tell your doctor EVERYTHING you take in the supplement dept. He/she might poo-poo it but they should also be knowledgeble enough to know the interactions and contraindications...OR you can seek a primary who believes in a more holistic approach...many of them do....hope this helps.