Notices

New to the site...not new to trying to stop drinking

Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site...not new to trying to stop drinking

Sorry if I missed the page for newcomers so I figured I would start here.
My last drink was the day after the super bowl - I made a deal with myself to stop after the bowl and had a very small one the next day and thought why?
So I have stopped since.

This started because my wife and I agreed to get healthy for us and our 1 and 3 year old daughters.
I went to the doctor in November to "get healthy" and had extremely high blood pressure and really bad cholestorol. She put me on some meds which after a couple of weeks I had complete kidney failure as a result - I did not tell her how much I drank.
So I get honest with her, bring the wife in to the next few meetings and agree I want to stop. The doc told me that either she was going to check me into rehab or I agree to outpatient treatment. I agreed to the outpatient treatment and started to take valium which allowed me to cut down drinking dramatically.
Super Bowl came and I figured that would be my last binge. I still took the valium which led to a really bad night.
So, Monday came, me hung over and the wife screaming all day about what an *sshole I was and how I made a fool of myself with our friends and family.

Later in the day I had a small bottle of iced tea that I forgot I had spiked -I took a big swallow and realized my mistake. Finished it off anyways but it really was not enough to have any effect. I have not had a drink since and have been taking my single daily valium pill as prescribed.

So here it is a few days later - I have still been taking the valium - the last one was yesterday and have a meeting scheduled with the doc either Wed or Saturday.

I know that most don't agree with drug assisted detox, but in my case the doctor was concerned that I could have complications stopping cold turkey. Now it is day to day and I am committed to stopping.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Snarly882
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to the site and thank you for a reminder of how bad it is out there for an alcoholic!!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Snarly.

There is plenty of support here for anyone wishing to quit.
It is good to hear that you and your wife decided on this together. My wife more or less decided for me.
Good luck on your mission to a better life.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Snarly

D
Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We are so glad you're here. What are your misgivings about drug assisted detox. Is it the cost of the meds upon discharge? There are some assistance programs to help with that I think. The most important thing I would think is to get to the root of why you drink to the point you do. Is it a social thing that spirals out of control? What would have to happen for you to quit on your own?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is nothing wrong with medically supervised/assisted detox. Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous, if not just horribly uncomfortable. As long as you're taking it as directed, and not for very long, it shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to SR and to a new and better sober life!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us!

It sounds like you've taken some good steps toward a healthy life.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a quick update...

Went back to the Docs office and told her I had stopped drinking. Blood pressure has dropped down nicely. she did recommend that I keep taking the valium (but half the strength) for the next couple of weeks. It has definitely helped when I get that almost uncontrolable urge to drink!
Taking it day to day, watching my diet, and have added swimming every other day to help.

Thanks for your support,
CB
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

CB.....glad to know you are heading into
a sober healthy future.....

Blessings to you and your family
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome Snarly, and good for you for choosing sobriety and a better life for you and your family..
It sounds like you are off to a good start and I am so glad you have found our forum; lots of great support here; we are not a glum lot
Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for the update Snarly

D
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Checking in Again - 44 days and counting

Wow - I just remembered this site. Life sure gets busy!
44 days ago I stopped drinking ...with the help of valium.... now I am even off the valium.

I do still take over the counter sleeping pills and find myself sleeping hard when I finally do get to sleep. No hangovers! I now get up and actually have some time with my kids and wife before going off to work.

When I get home, I have a "drink" to relax - usually soda water with cranberry. This routine has greatly reduced my cravings for a "real" drink.

I am staying away from people and events that would encourage me to drink. I have dropped wheight and generally feel better. My blood pressure has also dropped nicely - probably combination of weight loss and not drinking.

Thanks for leting me ramble and for having a place to check in...still not ready to go back to AA meetings.

Chris
Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

3 Month Update - Not Drinking

I have been nervously waiting to get to the 3 month milestone for not drinking. It is finally here!
I have stopped taking the valium, but do take an otc sleeping pill. Overall I feel good and have lost weight.
My wife can't bitch about me drinking anymore - but she does keep saying what a "grump" I have turned into.
I must be honest and say that I am quick to snap back and am not as patient as I was while drinking.
I remember most things now and my wife constantly tests me which is getting old. We do not have much to talk about anymore.

Life has gotten better but part of me feels like I am just getting by. I do spend time with my kids but feel like I am drifting away from my wife who still drinks every night.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Chris
Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris
thanks for the update

I was pretty grumpy too when all I did was just not drink - I dunno about you but I needed to do more to try and fill the void I used to fill with drinking....

are you doing any recovery programmes or anything?
D
Old 05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome work Snarly! 3 months is really good going. About the wife...well I don't know what advice to give, just know you're doing this for yourself and you can't let her bring you down at all. I can't imagine how hard it is to stop drinking when living with someone who drinks every night.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

3 months is major!! Congratulations, and I hope you'll do something for yourself for doing so well! You're not just "getting by" - you're sober!!!