hurt and confused

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry hurt and confused

My ABF and i have been seeing different counselors. Mine says that we can still see each other while we are seperated but his says we shouldnt see each other or talk to each other while we are apart but didnt say we should break while we find ourselves. WTF i dont get it why would one say one thing and someone else say something completely different. I feel so hurt and confused. Although i dont know how long we are going to be apart since she never gave him any timeline seems to me as if its completely over.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am very surprised that any counselor would give instructions like that since usually they are empowering us to look into ourselves and make our own decisions.
How do you know the counselor told him this?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

His counselor is perhaps viewing you as a trigger and encouraging him to get his own life together. The complications of nurturing a relationship impedes the process in some ways.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

insulated

Originally Posted by Insulated View Post
His counselor is perhaps viewing you as a trigger and encouraging him to get his own life together. The complications of nurturing a relationship impedes the process in some ways.
Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant by me being a trigger?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

live

Originally Posted by Live View Post
I am very surprised that any counselor would give instructions like that since usually they are empowering us to look into ourselves and make our own decisions.
How do you know the counselor told him this?
I asked him how his appointment went and if any decision had changed regarding our relationship. That was when he told me what his counselor stated.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

maybe sobriety becomes primary. a relationship and the work that it requires to nurture and preserve perhaps distracts from sobriety. it's a time for introspection and self evaluation and setting of goals, etc.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

When my son was in rehab the first time; we were advised by the director that it was very important for us to take step back and to allow him the space he needed to do the work of recovery. It was not directed _at_ us as parents; but instead _for_ his benefit.

I viewed this time of detachment as an opportunity for my son learn how to do what it takes to save his life. Recovery is serious business and for many requires placing the focus _only_ on getting well without outside entanglements.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

clarification

I finally received some clarification from him that his counselor thought it would be easier for both of us to not have communication while we work on our issues. He said that it was up to him what he wanted to do. He then proceeded to ask me if i love him and inquired about what i was doing. Then became beligerent with me stating that he couldnt do the long distance thing after telling me to go F**ck some other guy that i used to date. UGH!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
you know what i love about the phone? you can hang it up ANY time, and not even answer UNLESS you choose to.........
The first time my sponsor suggested that, I thought that was just too darned simple, you know?

He was right.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Angry phone

you know what i love about the phone? you can hang it up ANY time, and not even answer UNLESS you choose to.........
Yeah it was via text message which he does more then calling me anymore. I need to learn to shut off my phone and just forget it exsists.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

delete key

delete key! you can also check online and see if there's a way to block incoming texts.....if you feel the need.
Anvilhead i did one better i decided to change my phone number completely. I am never going to get my life back as long as i allow myself to continue trying to fix his problems. Step one for me!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anvilhead i did one better i decided to change my phone number completely. I am never going to get my life back as long as i allow myself to continue trying to fix his problems. Step one for me!

It would seem your confusion is lifting, BRAVO! When you focus on your own needs and what is healthy for you and not make every decision about him, the path becomes clearer.

When I was on that fence trying to decide if leaving my XABF was the right path for me, I received heartfelt wisdome here to just make the next healthy decision and go from there. I focused on my needs and what I needed to do to improve my life and somehow the answers just presented themselves.

Your recovery looks good on you!!

Alice