It's been 17 days....

Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been 17 days....

And my boyfriend hasn't touch a drink...but

He's been smoking weed this whole time...I believe pot is better for you than alcohol, but I'm not sure if I believe this if the person consuming it is an addict...

My bf had been doing great over the past 17 days. I have never witnessed him sober for this long (and we have been together for about 5 years)...

But last night he ran out of pot...he started looking around the carpet for weed and I got scared that the pot just delayed his withdraw...

We got in a huge fight last night, my car is pack with all my stuff besides my computer...he was being disrespectful and extremely mean....to ME?! The only person that gives a damn about him...his mom is an alcoholic who dumped her 3 younger children onto my boyfriend....and his dad is a selfish pig, who is using his son to raise these children while he lays around depressed...

He dad drives me crazy?! He comes into our room every day talking about how HIS life sucks! WTF?! I'm like, "Hello, could you please not do this while Cory is trying to stop drinking!!!!"

Anyways...I HOPE he can keep it up, but be happy...he is so unhappy...which is understandable.... I guess only time will tell...

But damn I hate when my clothes are in bags...here we go again
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh honey, i got kicked out a gazillion times. it's an addicts way of isolating themselves while they go on a free for all binge. My stuff was in bags so much, I became a very content gypsy and actually loved the idea of being able to hop in my car, get on a plane, and go visit family. Of course the begging and promises came soon enough (when the money got tight and HIS bills needed paid, or he was hungry, or didn't have gas money).

I disagree about weed. It causes depression and anxiety and it's a gateway to other things. It is after all a mood altering drug.

Buy yourself some really great luggage and go off the radar and turn your phone off. You could use this downtime to reflect, plan, reevaluate YOUR life. What a blessing!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mlewis904 View Post
And my boyfriend hasn't touch a drink...but

But last night he ran out of pot...he started looking around the carpet for weed and I got scared that the pot just delayed his withdraw...
If that doesn't make you wonder??

Some think that they can replace the substance and then the problem magically disappears. My ABIL (brother-in-law) tried that trick when he stopped drinking about 15 years ago. He figured since he wasn't drinking, then it was no problem, since he wasn't addicted to pot. Wrong, it is just replacing one evil with another. He got pulled over while driving, swerving all over place. He bragged to cop that he had start up device in car (he had 9 DWI's at one point and court made him have device in car after he got out of jail) and that he couldn't possibly be drunk. Duh, he just got done smoking a joint and it wasn't like the cop couldn't smell it. Let's just say he did a little more jail time and finally realized he was an addict, it didn't matter what he was putting into his body, he was an addict.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am sorry to rain on your parade, but this young man is an addict. what that means, is that he cannot use any mood-altering substance. ever. if you ask 1000 solid aa or na members, they will tell you this. the reason they tell you this, is because they understand the nature of addiction, and because it's happened countless times where someone will switch it up. it's called substitution.

when see little tiny positive changes, you start believing the lie that he is not truly, completely and entirely an addict. you get hopeful and kind of fall in love with him over again. this is a set-up for future frustration and heartache.

thank you for sharing, and i'm sorry that you had that crash last night. i wish for your sake it could be like you are thinking: "weed is not as bad as alcohol" because i actually believe that as well. but you will still be trying to relate on an intimate and mature level with someone who is in active addiction. this is without doubt what i see.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Remember, the alcohol is a symptom of an underlying problem - that means that is just shows that the illness is there. Addiction is not in the substance; it is in the person. When in real recovery, we do not touch any mind altering substance. And looking on the carpet for weed is still addiction; it is no better.