Notices

A.r.k.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A.r.k.

Act of Random Kindness.

Doing a self-less act for others helps my recovery. Today I stopped myself from running into the variety store,............
to hold the door open for an elderly person.
Some might find this silly but when I put others needs before my own,...I feel a little bit better about myself.

Have you done an A.R.K. today?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I do that every day when I provide food and shelter for the stray kitties in my neighborhood. It helps my recovery that I can do this consistently because I'm sober and not drinking/passed out/too sick to get out of bed.

Letting a driver into traffic is a good one too. Sometimes paying for the order of the person behind me at the drive-thru. The best ones are when no one knows you did it. Just a random anonymous act of kindness.

"Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."
Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

..nice post..

..see the movie "Pay it Forward."..gee!..the whole world,
..would be a better place..tnx..Oz..
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Spawn, I thought of a good one. I should do it, maybe this would be an incentive. Write a short handwritten note of encouragement, for any problem someone might have. Take said note, buy a newspaper, and place note in newspaper below.

Now that's silly! But seriously, If I found one, I'd keep it.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On my path.

One thing I always try to do is smile and look into the eyes of the people I meet. No words need to be spoken and a warmth is passed from one person to another. This is so much easier to do now that I am not hungover and exhausted. :-)

Thank you for the reminder of the power of the little things in life.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Totally awesome thread!!!

I try to make some ones day every day if possible even in the smallest way, a simple "Good morning" to a stranger with a smile can make some ones day start off a little better I have found, holding doors, letting folks in front of you in traffic, returning some ones cart for them at the grocery store..... anything can restore some ones faith in thier fellow man when they are at a low point.

I myself truly appreciate when some one does something for me they had no other reason to do then to be nice.

Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us.
Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Yesterday I gave a couple of bucks to a street panhandler, which I rarely do unless they have a look of despair on their faces. I live on the main street in a major city so you see them everyday and some of them are not what they pretend to be.
Today it is back to being a typical Torontonian.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't call the taxi driver an idiot when he almost got us lost on the way back to the Hotel and i tipped room service 5 dirhams when he bought me my lunch...do they count?

Seriously though i do try and be nice to everyone i meet, this includes saying hi in the lifts, making time to talk to the staff, smiling at people, raising eyebrows etc...you know the sort of stuff that i like to happen to me...i dont think a lot of people do this sort of stuff cos if you keep doing this in the same place then all these people you do it to become very friendly indeed...when i walk down for coffee i get a good morning and how are you off everyone, which can honestly be a bit much when ive just woken up but hey better than them ignoring me!

Oh yeah ive learned taking a genuine interest in anyone even if you are not that interested and even if the convo is like 20 secs long can literally make a persons day, even week...doesnt take any effort at all actually and can totally be applied to any stranger;-)
Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Allowing someone else to be right.

It costs nothing. The other person feels great. I get a huge sense of relief when I don't need to argue to be right.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

I thought of this today and gave some kid $2 for the bus today. At least that is what he said he needed it for. Don't know but gave him the benefit of the doubt since he was off the beaten begging path.
Hope I don't think of this thread tomorrow or I may end up broke.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today I allowed all the aggressive drivers to have the right-away.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I watched from my distant position in a long line of cars as a van was trying to merge into the toll booth line today from the next lane over. Nobody would let the van in - the vehicles even seemed to making an extra effort to NOT let the van in, staying just mere inches from the bumper of the car in front of them so there wasn't a chance of it squeezing in.

While I wouldn't consider it a 'random act' but rather a 'determined nicety,' I was happy to have fully stopped and wave the van into the line in front of me.

I'm ashamed to say that I've done what the others did today in my past.

But I feel so differently since my recovery began. I love how the littlest kindness gives me the greatest joy, random or not.

Awesome thread.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

PostSecret

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
Spawn, I thought of a good one. I should do it, maybe this would be an incentive. Write a short handwritten note of encouragement, for any problem someone might have. Take said note, buy a newspaper, and place note in newspaper below.

Now that's silly! But seriously, If I found one, I'd keep it.
There is an online community called PostSecret, devoted to divulging personal secrets anonymously, many of which are random acts of kindness. It's very cathartic to just read other peoples' posts (sort of like reading the SR forums!).
Old 02-13-2010, 12:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is the same thing but... my son lost his wallet the other day with all his money, cards etc in, and it was returned intact within the day by a group of young lads he didnt know, and believe me i live in a poor area, i was almost moved to tears by their kindness and honesty,and they wouldnt even take anything for spending ages trying to find our house, AMAZING!!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Spawn, thank you for starting this thread! Reading about people's random acts of kindness inspires me and reminds me of the gratitude I've felt when I've been on the receiving end.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeAndOnlyMe View Post
There is an online community called PostSecret, devoted to divulging personal secrets anonymously, many of which are random acts of kindness. It's very cathartic to just read other peoples' posts (sort of like reading the SR forums!).
Hello Me,

I love Postsecret! I immediately thought of the one from this past Sunday's post that said "I send anonymous uplifting cards in the mail to people I randomly pick from the phone book in the hopes that it lifted their spirits."

Very cool, IMO.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Every morning there is a homeless man who opens the door to the coffee shop where I buy my morning coffee. I know he is one of the true homeless because I have seen him sleeping on a grate about a block away from the coffee shop on many a night. I always give him the change from my coffee, a smile, and tell him to have a nice day. On occasion on really cold days I will give him the money to buy breakfast so that he can go inside the coffee shop and get warm for a short while.

I guess my heart goes out to this guy because he tries to be clean shaven, is very well spoken and is extremely polite. I'm not sure how he wound up on the street and I am probably one of the last people who would be in a position to cast judgement. He always reminds me of the fact that if I had continued on the path I was on, it could very well be me holding the door and hoping for some food some day.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
Every morning there is a homeless man who opens the door to the coffee shop where I buy my morning coffee. I know he is one of the true homeless because I have seen him sleeping on a grate about a block away from the coffee shop on many a night. I always give him the change from my coffee, a smile, and tell him to have a nice day. On occasion on really cold days I will give him the money to buy breakfast so that he can go inside the coffee shop and get warm for a short while.

I guess my heart goes out to this guy because he tries to be clean shaven, is very well spoken and is extremely polite. I'm not sure how he wound up on the street and I am probably one of the last people who would be in a position to cast judgement. He always reminds me of the fact that if I had continued on the path I was on, it could very well be me holding the door and hoping for some food some day.
I knew a guy,......who was chronic and homeless.
I used work for a non-profit company that also had a shelter,...
I chaired quite a few meetings there,...anyway,..
I did see him get sober once and awhile eventually he died from alcoholism. I miss him sometimes he was a real good guy.
The shelter held a service for him and I met his 2 son,.....wow I had no idea he had kids!
This disease I have is cunning,...baffling,....and powerful.
And is not to be taken lightly! Thanks for being kind to that person

Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

said good morning to a co-worker I don't get along with
Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I always bring cookies for the housekeeper who cleans my office area.....and cookies/candy for the student lecture sessions....a little sugar makes everyone in a better mood on a work day.

back in the old days I used to bake them cakes and brownies...maybe now that i am getting sober i will do it again???

I give all the catfood my fussy cats refuse to eat to my friend who has a farm with many cats...they never get canned food otherwise.