Valentine's Day? Bah!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valentine's Day? Bah!

for those of you who cringe at the thought of another horrid Valentine's day, for thsoe of you whose X thought it best to mention he'd be spending Valentine's day with someone else...I'd like to point out that February 14th is ALSO (at least this year) the Lunar New Year for the year of the Metal Tiger. Usually, tradition dictates that no work should be done on that day, and that it's a day reserved for eating lots of yummy food and seeing family. So if you're looking for a nice distraction from the usual boring and cheesy Valentine's day crap, switch gears and celebrate new year's
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea!! Sounds good! I have a friend of Chinese descent who told me about New Year's and the tradition of eating.

Fortunately, I'm spending Valentine's day with the one I love best of all-- my daughter.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being a little crass, but I was actually thinking about the money I won't be spending this year! Pity about the 'day off work' tho, we work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day but I might just make a trip over to the Liberty dfac for a yummy dinner!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How 'bout a day of self love?
A Valentine Ritual for One - A Self Love Ceremony
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just to elaborate a bit further...usually, there's a good deal of cleaning and grooming going on before the actual day. You get your haircut, trim your nails, etc...you also do a thorough cleaning of the house making sure to take out the garbage before New Year's day, thus symbolizing the new beginning of the year. Personally, I've always been fond of this ritual.

Here's a fun link to a site regarding the upcoming year of the Metal Tiger
2010 horoscope the year of the white Tiger, free horoscopes 2010 for a year ahead, yearly astrology forecast for 2010 year of the metal Tiger.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks for the thread!!

my new year, xmas, bday etc have sucked so Im looking sooooooooooooooo much forward to the 14th!!!! to mark a new beginning!!!!!!!! I am cleaning my apartment and throwing away stuff! I also look forward to it because the 15 is payday and I sooooooooo need the money $$... my mom will arrive on Friday so I'm looking forward to celebrate my bday with my Mom on saturday, planning to window shop on a posh mall, eat crepes, watch movies... there is also a wedding i may go to (i like weddings) then the new year celebration on Sunday, today I'm getting the tickets...

For the Chinese Dog sign it says "it will be like the end of a long winter for the Dog" better the chinese are accurate on that, i want my winter to end, ughh!!

Valentine day sucks, and most other "holiodays", anvil I'm with you, all that marketing corny stuff sucks so much and the "gifts" are so unoriginal...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't ever had a horrible Valentine's Day, but last year's is a bad memory. I had this friend who had just gone through a break-up, and I felt really bad for her. I got her a Valentine's gift and made sure our friends would take her out that night. And...come summertime, she was having an affair with my husband! I was sort of depressed at the idea of them being together this Valentine's Day, but he already broke up with her. She had moved back here (across the country) to be with him, and two weeks later he was over it. I am laughing wickedly, drumming my fingers together and saying, "Excellent, Smithers." I might celebrate the $hit out of Valentine's Day this year. But now I keep singing to myself, "It's the Year of the Tiger," to the tune of Eye of the Tiger...so thanks. And yes, I know I sound evil, but I'm indulging this one.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear wanting....chuckle evily if you wish...indulge to the max, you deserve to have this pleasure at the demise of that backstabbing &*$#@% you once had as a friend.

TC, have a ball, enjoy every moment....just don't get exhausted cleaning everything before hand.

As I have posted before, I have mixed feelings about Val Day, even 6 years after the horrid events took place, and agree it is a bonus day for providers of cards, flowers, chocolates etc. RABF has only got me flowers once in 18 years, and loathes the hype.

Last year I got a fancy email ( which took him forever to do), and a peanut butter jar with a few flowers he picked from his small garden.

Lord knows what is coming this year, but he did have a wicked look on his face when noting "Val Day is on Sunday, hmmmm", which is scary.

I have done his card and that is all from me, after all I am around 365 days a year, not just 1 of them.

God bless
Old 02-11-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

last year I got a huge bunch of roses, some exensive lingerie (2 sizes too small) a card, a print of a rose, I had told him on the 6th? that I couldn't live with him and his drinking anymore. He was angry and upset that I couldn't wait until after Valentine's day, so that we could have a "nice" Valentine's day "together". he couldn't get that waiting and pretending wouldn't make it "nice" or at all "together".

I was so sad and scared and angry.

others have been run-of-the-mill, some nice, and although I love flowers and like getting cards, I've never hung huge significance on it in terms of what it means about my relationship (if in one) or felt very sad about the lack of a partner if not in a relationship.

I have by accident booked to have my hair done on saturday and to have a friend of ds come over to play with him on sunday. I'll cook something lovely for all of us and may treat myself to a new item of clothing in celebration of loosing a whole stone since christmas (yay me, 1 more stone and I'm not overweight anymore and 3 more to go to get back to my slinky pre-children weight).

I buy myself flowers every month (just from the supermarket) because I love them, I'll get some more this weekend.

I may also throw out some more of the horrible clothes that I have apparently been punishing myself with ("I'm not going to spend any money on me until I have lost all the weight I want to, so I'll just grab something shapeless at the supermarket when I'm buying groceries").
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also have seen it as day of self loving and occasionally share it with family or friends or co-workers. I buy myself whatever it is that I want to feel good that day. Last year someone had a virtual party on line which was a new and fun experience to take my mind off being alone.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Call my cynical (and oh, you will) but to me Valentine's Day is a manufactured holiday carefully conceived and designed to boost profits for purveyors of greeting cards, chocolate, lingerie, etc.

And it's very woman-centric. Though I've known a few women who used it as an excuse to do something nice for their spouse, it's more often a "woman's holiday" where men have to dream up something good or suffer the consequences. (and I'm a woman)

I'd rather have respect and laughter and support all year round than one day of someone trying to cover their butt by being nice to me.

Husband and I celebrate Anti-Valentine's Day by doing something completely unromantic. Bowling, fast food, action movies, basketball game, a sweaty game of racquetball, poker. We usually have company, other refugees from the so-called holiday. I love your New Year's idea, noday! I see in my future a huge chinese meal, lots of burping etc. LOL

(so tell us, GL, what do you really think about this?) )
Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My daughter and I are grilling steaks (on my recently x bf's grill that is still at my house); and having something decadent for dessert. Last night while we were discussing I decided on a new V-day tradition. I am going to a local arcade and playing "Whack A Mole" -- my favorite stress busting game. It is pure laugh-out-loud silliness, and you get points for hitting things on the head with a rubber mallet.