Self intro hello

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self intro hello

I found this site while searching for al anon recovery mp3? *I've been attending f2f meetings for 10 months, *and it's working, as I work it. I have a sponsor who has a sponsor, and I'm honestly doing things a little different today.*
My problem today is me. *I get in my own way. I made an appt. *for my 1/2 of couples counseling for this afternoon, dentist @1, counselor @4. *Last night dentist calls to confirm and I asked how long will this take? Argh till 5. *So what do I do? I called therapist voice mail to re schedule! *Abf asks? Why not reschedule dentist? Becuz I'm nervous about counseling, because I'm fearful of the can of squirmy worms I may open up now!*
On a more positive note, they are both actions that I have been putting off way too long, and I'm proud of the fact that today I'm focusing on me and what I need. For years it's been on him and his various alcohol and health issues.*
I think part of my problem is the underlying desire to get him healthy, so that I can have the option to take care of me, and duh, it took this long for me to realize, I'm the true sicko!
I'm grateful for this forum. I love the series of speakers that a very kind you know who you are- person linked up here! What a fantastic resource! *I play them when I can listen and abf has listened to a few too! I'm glad you are here with me, you've already helped, because you share.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Probably the hardest thing for us to do with our recovery is to focus on ourselves, yes, be selfish. If we aren't taking care of ourselves, the stress alone will impact our health. In some ways, we are just as sick as the alcoholic, trying to perform the 3 C's instead of avoiding them.

My Mom brought up a good point once about Al-Anon. She is a very devout Christian and she states that being a good Christian means being unselfish, to help others, whereas Al-Anon, is kind of reversing that trend, but not in a way where you are just being a total selfish human being.

I'm glad to hear that you are focusing on taking care of yourself. Believe me, belive all that say the same thing, you have to do take care of yourself first and then let the cards fall where they may. Take care of yourself!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Family!

We're glad you found us! Make yourself at home by posting and reading as much as needed.