Withdrawal

Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

Last night abf had severe shakes and a dizzy spell. He said he has not had a drink since Friday and while I have no idea if that is true or not I believe he was having withdrawals last night.

Several times during the night he would start talking to me and attempt to place blame on every thing else (stress, health, blood pressure, etc) that was causing the shakes and I kept saying that I really believed he was having withdrawal symptoms. I also told him it couldn't hurt to pray, his reply was he's been doing a lot of that lately.

While I don't understand why if he's not been drinking since Friday like he said it would take so long for the withdrawals to start I believe everyone can be different on what shows up when.

He's sleeping right now but I am going to wake him up soon because I know he has things to take care of today. Once he's up and moving around I will head into work and hope for the best for him.

Keeping my fingers crossed for him but realizing this is his bridge to cross.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is indeed his bridge to cross.

If the symptoms get severe, I'd strongly suggest a supervised detox. Detoxing alone can sometimes be quite dangerous, according to the recovering alcoholics in my life.

Try to keep the focus on you as much as possible, leslie. His recovery is his recovery.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

about 2 days after my ABF had his last drink he starts being quite violently sick all day and has an upset stomach. He gets shaky immediatley after sometimes and all symptoms continue for about 3 days. He is also irritable and grumpy and not much funn to be around (this only starts about 2 days after last drink). Think it's prob withdawal. Then he'll be drinking again anyway so no idea what happens after that!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think withdrawal symptons vary for each individual. Supervised detox is probably the best solution, but again, it varies.

I remember my AF going through some weird withdrawals about 25 years ago. He had quit drinking on a Monday because he had some doctor tests on a Thursday. I came home from school (I was a senior in high school) and there were a couple of cops there with guns drawn searching around the house. Dad claimed a couple of burglars were in the house stealing all his money. There weren't any burglars. He then was claiming this wooden buddah folks got on a vacation was gambling with him and taking all his money. This went on all weekend and in his mind, this was all real. No shakes, no violence, just out of his gord. We finally got him to hospital and by Tuesday, he was back to "normal".