Hole in the Soul

Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hole in the Soul

Hi I'm Kirsty I'm an adult child and my past 3 serious relationships have been with active alcoholics/addicts, yup I'm a codie and have been in recovery for 8 months.

For as long as I can remember I have always felt this emotional hole inside, sometimes it felt almost physical and i can relate to what ive read somewhere about feeling the wind blow through it...always tried to fill it with food, overspending to make me 'feel better' and day-dreaming about my 'knight in shining armour' coming to rescue me and make me feel whole..oh man thank god for recovery!!

I was just wondering how others have coped with filling their hole and their experiences on how you have come to like and love yourself.

I'm feeling a bit raw just now, but im getting so sick of me and thinking about me all the time that in the next week or so I really would like to look into and start doing voluntary work to give back and get a rest from me.

So glad to have found this place and look forward to getting to know you better.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome here Kirsty, and you sure have come to the right place.

This place rocks with Codies helping Codies, and just about all of us have a hole or two to be filled, with what is something each of us needs to discover for ourself.

I am sure you will get the caring support and be pointed in the right direction for you, by those who have travelled the same road as you.

Look forward to hearing more from you and watching you heal that hole.

God bless
Old 02-10-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the family!

I remember feeling like I had a hole when I ended my marriage of 14 years to my active alcoholic. I felt like a skeleton - all bones with nothing but air blowing between.. I was exhausted, overwhelmed, distracted, etc....

Someone on SR helped me understand the hole I was feeling. They described it as my blank canvas. My HP was giving me the opportunity to discover myself and fill the whole with a beautiful picture of how I wanted my life to look.

I am still creating my portrait. It is a work in progress. The tools I am using are Alanon meetings, self-help books, this forum and good friends.