Notices

Going strong!!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going strong!!!!

Well I will start with the addiction I have and why I am getting off the medication. I am on Xanax and have been for 3 and a half years. I tried a year ago and suceeded going down from 2 mg a day to 1mg. Wasn't that hard doing it slowly. Then suddenly on May 1st my father committed suicide and I was occasionally back at 2 and weening mysekf to 1.5mg. I had noticed the xanax quit working as well and I knew I would have to take more to get the same affect. I did not want to do that and purchased a natural program to get off. It didn't work and I had a bad panic attack. I don't believe it was the natural medicines I believe it was me not dealing with the shock pain guilt and loss I was feeling internally. Well I stayed at 1.5mg for 3 months and as of last January found out I was pregnant. (not planned) I was excited at first then started to realize I couldn't be on this med anymore. I panicked again and have since Jan 9th decreasing the dosage of the meds with my doctors help. I know I am not on much, but it is still tough and the withdraw symptoms are getting a bit stronger. I feel Like I have bad Flu and want to sleep all the time but can't. I am painfully down to .5 mg a day and feeling bad. Yesterday I tried to go to detox at the hospital and they wanted to put me on Klonepin which is also a class D pregnancy drug like xanax. I was not okay with this. Trade one addiction for another? Also I was more scared to be there than to be surrounded by loved ones who are a great support to the cause. Even my boss is being understanding. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has been through this and can offer some advice. I have had a tough time with day to day life because of the withdraw symptoms I have to make myself leave the house, and the pregnancy symptoms make me sick too. I have morning sickness everyday. I know I can do this I am strong and have conquered trials before also it is worth it for my child. i have a plan though and I believe I can do it with the help of my family. I am going to go off the med next thursday as I ween down more and go to my sisters hand her the meds and tell her to not give me one. Please pray for me to have minimal trouble with this and come out okay including my unborn child.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Please do check out our substance abuse forum. Lots of experience with all kinds of drugs. Lots of information and support.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Have you seen a doctor since becoming pregnant? I would think it a wise move to ensure you and the baby's well being.

I'm glad you joined our recovery family.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi runnerjc

I have very little experience with Xanax, but I know others here will have experience and support for you.

You might also like to check out our substance abuse forum where you'll find even more people with experience about this drug and withdrawal.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR
D
Old 02-05-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry about the loss of your father. I lost my dad to suicide 5 years ago. His death wasn't unexpected, but the aftermath that I thought I was prepared to deal with was really hard. There are survivor resources that I have found very helpful: The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention being one. Just a thought in case you need support in dealing with your loss. I have found so much support from the AFSP and it has made a huge difference in my life.

Congrats on working with your doctor to make sure you're doing the best you can for your baby. I was 6 weeks along when I found out I was pregnant and was terrified I had done harm to my child from my nightly drinking. I was honest with my OB and was successful in abstinence for the duration of the pregnancy and today have a happy and healthy little girl.

All my best to you,
Sarah
Old 02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have seen many doctors ( who only one was helpful and understanding. He is the one that believes I do this) and even tried detox but realized I would rather be with my family during this than anyone else. I am on .5 mg a day and about to switch to .25 for 3 days and go completely off on Thursday. I realized that this will be difficult but also realized when my mother went through breast cancer she went through a much more difficult time that me. If she can get through chemo and many surgeries and come out stronger than so can I. I may be an addict but I am a conqueror too. It has not been rainbows and sunshine but I know in the end it will be worth it for more than me but for my unborn child. I am doing this for both of us...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

All the best Runner.
You will be a great mother.