Notices

2010 Class Of February

Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

2010 Class Of February

I am just wondering if we have any people who have quit this month who want to share it with us.

Don't be shy if you are still lurking. You are not alone here. Join in
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

2010 Class Of February

Well I started it last year seems fitting to join here.

Today is my 5th day Sober!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL only now that we have two HWF
I'll try and merge them.

Fixed
D
Old 02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Count me in, am on day 5. Can't wait for my meeting in an hour!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 4 here!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Good to see some quitters posting here

Thanks, Dee.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 1 again, I was in the Oct group and lasted 101 days, I'm disappointed in myself.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been lurking around so I will go ahead and check in with this group...Day 2. But I had already been cutting back, only drinking once or twice a month...this time I am completely done - JUST NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE. I have enjoyed life without.....
Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sccrnut View Post
Day 1 again, I was in the Oct group and lasted 101 days, I'm disappointed in myself.
Don't be.
Far as I can tell, anyone who recognises a need to quit, and quits, has more kick-ass in them than they realise.

I find myself in a DANGEROUS place. My drinking -- bottle of wine, every other day -- has not escalated. It is constant, for years.

I've just woke up to that fact that drinking a bottle of wine is nuts. And the idea that "it's only every second day" is nuts, because it lulls me into a sense of bad-but-not-too-bad-ness.

That's why I've decided to quit. Not because it got worse. Not because I'm an alcoholic (am I?) but because I woke up and asked myself this question:

Best case scenario you are drinking a bottle of wine every other day ten years from now.

Is that a ten years I would want to look forward to?

No.

And remember: that's best-case-scenario.

So when I read 101 days, I go: they can do it, so can I.
And when I read other stories here, from people coming back from far deeper places .... man, I don't know. Those people have some strength in them -- genuine strength.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Redwine, I have the greatest confidence that I can quit, its the staying quit part that I struggle with, hopefully that goes away as quality of life improves.

Day 2 all is well, surprisingly good nights sleep.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day two here

I can't say this is my first time trying to quit. But it's my first time I've tried it through a support forum like this so I'm hoping having others who are going through the same thing will help!

Would love to have a regular group of people to talk to every day. Last night was easier than I expected but I'm kind of used to how to go through withdrawal now. I know to expect the night sweats, insomnia and a little shaking. I also know by day three or four it will be done. But then the hard part starts for me when I really start to miss it. I'll need a lot of help making it past two weeks. Thanks all!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great to see all you guys here, supporting each other and working at sobriety.

I hope you all can focus on the positive aspect of living a sober life. We have all made mistakes, done things we regret and drank when we had no intention of doing that. The main thing I think, is to begin to try to like/love yourself enough to do this for yourself. Forgive yourself and believe that you deserve a good life.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I'll chime in. I started a few other threads, but this one seems appropriate, too.

Day 2 here, which is not unusual for a Tuesday. I typically binge from Thurs/Fri through Sunday. Then work 50 hours M-F. Does not leave a whole lot of quality time; I'm either working, sleeping, drinking or hung over (or more than one at a time).

Problem is, I know how much I'm missing out on. I love to spend quality time with my son and wife; to go to the gym; to go skiing; to go hiking; to visit family and friends. I manage to do some of this, but it definitely takes a back seat to drinking.

Friday will be my test. I'm still trying to figure out what my overall plan/program will be. I know I can't just say "I want to stop drinking..." Been doing that for quite a few years, and it sometimes works for a month or so. It's actually been awhile that I've had more than one week.

Anyway, hope to keep popping in here, reading, learning, getting a plan together, (hopefully, someday) inspiring...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Skistop - I hope you continue - I am Day 3, which honestly I don't think is much since I have gone weeks or a month at a time....without. We can help and encourage each other....and be in the same class Feb 2010!! YAY!! Hope you continue to pop in....and update us.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, I definitely need a plan for this weekend too. First of all my kiddo is travelling so I'll be kid-free. Secondly it's Valentine's day which is kind of a pressure too. Thirdly, I don't yet have many sober friends. I attend several AA meetings here and there in town but haven't struck up any "let's go to a movie" friendships yet.

So I am worried about a long, stretched out weekend of...of not drinking! I will talk with my sponsor about it and make an action plan. And I'll probably keep my laptop with me a lot - in case I need it....

Class of Febs, we can do it!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

You guys have the right idea, to plan ahead to avoid the pitfalls of the weekend.

I hope you all can do something nice for yourself this weekend.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We are going out to dinner on Saturday, and I am going to suggest a Saturday evening service at church....wish me luck on that second part. I am all for it, not sure about my bf.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm a February person, too! (Of course I'm also a November 09 person. Dang it.) Finishing 8 days today. Have a great night, everyone!!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mirage, I have attempted before but only lasted weeks or maybe a month. we can do it!!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Having a really tough night tonight and so tempted to throw in the towel and have a drink. I've been waiting for months now to receive a check I desperately need in the mail. It finally arrived yesterday and I was so happy. However, I had to mail it to my bank out of state to deposit it. I sent it overnight USPS Express mail to be guaranteed to delivered to the bank by noon today. It never arrived. I called the post office and they said they don't know what happened to it and can't do a search to see if it's lost until tomorrow. I'm so stressed. Thank god there is no Chardonnay in the house or I would be done. I did look at my boyfriends red wine (which I don't like) and his whiskey and really thought about taking just a swig to take the edge off but decided I would come here and write to you guys instead. I'm going to try taking a bath next and then go to bed early in the hopes that I'll just get through tonight. Only my 3rd day and almost broken already. How will I keep this going?