Notices

Oddly enough...trying to get drunk.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Oddly enough...trying to get drunk.

I found this forum while looking up the dangers of drinking mouthwash. It's something I have never done, but I've certainly put scarier and more dangerous drugs into my body when I was younger.

I'm not old enough to buy the real thing myself, and with the prospect of being snowed in alone and bored this weekend, the only option would have been walking to the grocery store and either buying cough medicine (my first addiction) or trying out Listerine (alcohol being my "newest" addiction.)

I'm very glad I came across this forum and had the presence of mind to stop and think about just what I was doing. I understand if I'm not taken seriously here; both for my youth and the relatively short time I've had substance problems (only about 6 years, about 3 for alcohol) but hope to get some insight into ways to change my behavior as well cope with the anxiety and mental issues that I think guide most of us down this path.

Well, nice to meet you, everyone!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are never too young or too old to get honest about
useing substances that are causeing you harm

Welcome to SR....
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Miss Ginger

I'm certainly glad you decided again the Listerine.

I can assure you you will be taken seriously here - we have a great bunch of people here - read around and post as much as you like

I came here knowing I had a problem, but not really knowing what exactly to do about it.

The good folk here helped me work it out - I hope we can do the same for you too

Welcome!
D
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi and welcome. We understand you. You are not alone here.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MissGinger - pleased to meet you. It's wonderful to have you join us - in a place where you'll definitely be taken seriously. How I wish I'd been wise enough at a young age to stop the insanity before it destroyed my life. Be proud of yourself for having the sense to reach out for help.

Please keep reading & posting here - we are a family who supports each other through triumphs and setbacks. Looking forward to hearing more about you.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish i was as smart as you in my youth and realized i had a problem
it took me 30 years
wish you all the best ,dont wast it.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR MissGinger, have you considered hanging out with sober people your age that have walked in your shoes and now know how to stay clean & sober?

I have been through Charlottesville quite a bit on my way to the in-laws who live west of there.There are a ton of college students in that area and I can assure you that there are a number of AA meetings either right on or right off of campus.

You are far from being younger than the youngest people in AA, we have quite a few in my area that go to Mary Washington along with a few HS students as well.

Do you think it would be easier getting and staying sober doing things with others your age who are sober?

If you do why not check out some AA meetings? What do you have to lose? A drinking problem. What do you have to gain? Possibly a new life with new sober friends!
Hang around here, ask questions, share struggles & victories.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Do you realize how much more mature you are than a lot of people, including myself, were at your age?
You could show this old girl a thing or two in recognizing the downfalls of addiction when it's still early enough to have a fullfilling sober adulthood. Good for you. Keep coming back. I'd love to hear of your progress.
You can do this.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you joined us and very glad you've decided on a sober life. It takes some work but is so worth the effort.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Miss Ginger! Please stick around..there is much wisdom on these boards. Congratulations on reaching out to talk and post...it took me quite awhile, lurking around, before I got up the nerve. Sounds like you have the makings of an awesome sober young person!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

No, you're definitely not too young, have told the story, the first time I drank, buddy stole a bottle of clear alcohol from his Dad-can't remember what it was-we drank it, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but had I the experience or wisdom, would have realized it was going to be a problem.

We were riding around a construction site on our bikes, the hardhat offered us $5 to wash his beat up pickup truck. We did, and got tired of waiting for him to come back with the $5, so we stuck the still running hose in his gas tank, which we thought was hilarious at the time, being drunk as skunks, but would have been an ugly scene had we been caught.

One of the best AA speakers I ever had the privilege of listening to got sober at a fairly young age, still in his teens or possibly early twenties at the time, he's gone on to lead a fairly remarkable life, attended a White House dinner and sat next to Nelson Mandela, whom he had a fairly long conversation with, mainly about Mandela's experience in prison.

None of which would ever have happened had he continued drinking, of course.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.