Notices

Taking pleasure in the little things

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking pleasure in the little things

In the months leading up to finally quitting drinking, I would look at the people on the street around me and think of how "fresh faced" they looked. I would think of how haggardly, tired, and grey I felt in comparison. I was envious of the normal people and wondered how they did it.

Tonight I was on my way home and stopped off at the tea shop for my usual peppermint tea. The girl behind the counter looked at me and said "You look so much better today, you don't look tired and you don't look so sad."

I'm turning into one of those "fresh faced normal people" that I used to be so envious of.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

<smile> Welcome to the herd!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are right the physical changes are nothing less than remarkable! Good feeling huh:-)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Omega, your post made me grin from ear to ear!

I feel the same way. I find that I'm smiling more, happier to see people, interested in life. It is such a relief and continually surprising to find that I have energy again - physically, emotionally, spiritually. Simply to be able to sleep normally again - through the night - and wake up feeling good is such a gift.

Thanks for reminding me of this ... so grateful!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, doesn't it feel great to be on this side?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Ahhh, the little things. I had someone comment on how good i looked after my meeting tonight. Funny how i was the last to realize how haggard and disheveled i'd become. Well i guess it's not surprising since i couldn't even look in the mirror toward the end of my using.

And how about the stupendousness of morning sunshine, a little snow on the ground, hell even the grass looks greener on any particular day now.

Oh, and how about brushing your teeth before bed every night and making that bed up in the morning. Yeah baby.

Oooh, and how about making a list and actually checking off each task on it because you finished them. What a novel concept!

And smiles and eye contact and hugs and actually giving a crap about about the cashier making your change in the gas station. Yes, the little things are the best.

What a blessing to participate in life again!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wing D2, Ward 2, Cell 24

It is pretty awesome to be able to walk up stairs without my heart pounding, and to look in the mirror and not see huge black circles under my eyes. YAY!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Yeah that too. w00t!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

That's a lovely compliment. I'm glad you enjoying the benefits of sobriety.

The consultant at the hospital the other day looked at my file and said "Are you really 41? you look so much younger"

When I experience the feeling of receiving such a compliment it reminds to do the same to someone else. Little things like this can really make someone's day.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember smelling coffee in the morning & wishing I was interested in having some instead of a drink to stop the shakes. I wanted to be normal, but saw no way out. I also thought I was fooling everyone by using mouthwash, eyedrops & perfume - all my little cover-ups that didn't ever work. What a waste of time & effort.

I enjoyed this nice, upbeat post - I'll be thinking today of other things that are different now that I've quit - maybe even make a list. It's easy to forget what it used to be like when we were sick. Thanks, Omega10.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Thank you for this post. It is great to look great. Since I quit I have been concentrating on my fitness and am in the best shape of my life.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
In the months leading up to finally quitting drinking, I would look at the people on the street around me and think of how "fresh faced" they looked. I would think of how haggardly, tired, and grey I felt in comparison. I was envious of the normal people and wondered how they did it.

Tonight I was on my way home and stopped off at the tea shop for my usual peppermint tea. The girl behind the counter looked at me and said "You look so much better today, you don't look tired and you don't look so sad."

I'm turning into one of those "fresh faced normal people" that I used to be so envious of.
Wow.. Sometimes You just Gotta Love Hearing The Truth Don't Ya?:rotfxko
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I love post like this, for me what I saw in me as a person, physically, ,mentally, & spiritually lagged behind what others saw.

In early sobriety I was so mentally whacked in the first month that I was unable to see that I actually looked better physically then I had in years. What opened my eyes was a lady came up to me after a meeting and told me just how much better I looked then compared to what I looked like when I first came into the rooms. I will always hold a special place in my heart for her, she was 84 at the time and had been sober for 30 years, what she said to me made a huge disserence for me.

After that meeting I went home and took a REAL look at me! For many years I avoided looking at the miserable man in my mirror, his face was all puffy looking with red puffy looking eyes and nasty looking skin! I hated myself then, I looked like death warmed over. The person I saw in the mirror that night looked 10-15 years younger then the old nasty looking drunk I used to see! The puffyness was gone, my eyes were clear and the bags were gone & my skin looked vibrant for some one 52 years old who had spent way to much time in the sun!

As I continued in my recovery I had folks mention that I had lost weight, I really had not, my swollen liver was returning to a normal size. My family in particular commented often on how much better of a person I was becoming, my wife continues to say to me how much better of a man I am today, she ask me where the calm & understanding Martin came from?

Thanks for starting this thread, it reminds me and any one else who has been in recovery for some time reading this just how much we do change on the outside as we also change on the inside.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread, thank you for reminding us of the brightness that can lay in store. And I bet that did just feel great (: I'm happy for you.

It's interesting to see so many people who couldn't/wouldn't/didn't like to look in the mirror. I've been at that stage for a couple years, minus a couple month+ sober stints. And I still don't want my picture taken, because I don't want to see how I look, much less have it floating around the net for others to see.

What a nice, uplifting story that brings a smile and hope to at least one alcoholic out there, thanks Omega.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I started this thread, I had no idea the impact it would have on everyone who read it. Receiving the compliment was great, but seeing that the post gave hope and inspiration to so many others has given me joy beyond belief!

Thank you all for sharing your stories, and for giving me a big smile to go with my morning coffee!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I cannot believe how ill people look who have opbviously been out drinking the night before when I'm at work on Saturday. They will have no doubt drank nowhere near as much as I used to drink. I must have looked really ill!!

I can't also believe how much booze lingers on breath even after one pint of beer. I must have stunk of booze!! LOL. If you're drinking alcoholically then you're fooling noone!!! But yourself that is!!

So grateful to be sober and feeling/looking healthy!!

Peace and Love xx
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank you very much for this thread.

i too look tons better. have put on weight that was needed.

no more puffy face.

no more black eyes.

unreal difference.

i catch myself noticing the 'hard living' in other folks faces now. i can almost pick them out of a crowd. my heart breaks for them.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My greatest pleasure in life is my dogs (can you tell??) Now that I'm sober I give them much better care and it makes me feel wonderful to see how healthy and happy they are.