Notices

Irritable when not drinking?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Irritable when not drinking?

Hi All,
I'm 34 days sober and seem to be getting more irritable lately, notably with the kids and my wife, but others, too. It's not going to send me back to the bottle but I wondered if anyone else has had similar thoughts?
To those with longer sobriety, any ideas as to if it passes off over time?
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Well, 34 was my longest sober period ever, but to answer your question about the similar thoughts--yes.

I had been depressed, and then spent my last few days of sobriety about as irritable as I could be. It did send me back, I admit... glad to see you not headed that way.

Take care,
TB
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks thirtybubba. Good to know I'm not alone. Logically, I'd guess it's a delayed reaction to stopping and that it will pass in time.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gilbertj

Just in case you haven't seen it, you may get something out of this

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

Hang in there
D
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

I felt that way for about the first two or three months but now my moods are a lot more stable and predictable so things will probably get better for you too in the very near future.
Congratulations on your first month.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes some time for your body and brain to get back to normal functioning. THis too shall pass... it just takes time.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I wouldn't start until after the kids were in bed. Therefore, my stress and irritability existed during those tense minutes and hours when I was trying to get family to wind down for the night -- so I could then knock down a few beers. Not anticipating those drinks anymore easily has offset any withdrawal-related tension or irritability, which certainly existed -- and perhaps still does a bit -- but certainly has subsided with time.

Don't drink. For all my personal issues, whether they're self-inflicted, work- or extended-family related, or imagined, I am SO BLOODY THANKFUL every day that I've been sober almost 9 months. During the toughest moments of my life, it feels so good to pause and say, "At least I'm %$@#! sober."

Congratulations on being sober a month. As I've reached milestones -- one month, three month, six months -- I've sometimes encountered a little depression. There's no parade or "nice jobs" or "congratulations" from friends or family, just my own personal knowledge of what I've accomplished. That's why SR is so important, and probably a big benefit to AA (of which I've never been a participant.) Just a heads-up, that you might experience some of those feelings, but they too shall pass...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I think of it as emotions overload. It does get better and you get more accustomed to feeling again.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I liked your post, keep. Good stuff there.

Originally Posted by keepcominback View Post
Does it ever go away? I doubt it.
In my experience, that irritation goes away, for the most part, after I've had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps. And I'm not just saying that. At first, the best I could do was hold when my tongue when those annoyances came. Still felt the feelings. But over time, I was pretty stunned at how things that used to set me into a rage had little effect on me. It was like I knew I should be upset, but I just didn't feel any sincere interest. Seemed petty and silly like I'd lost the passion for being bent out of shape.

That's kind of how its been ever since. Little things come and go. Big things get dealt with in a healthy way. Not because of more trying, but becaue of more trust.