Notices

Letting go of things I don't need anymore

Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Letting go of things I don't need anymore

I was clearing out some cupboards today and found a bag of old prescription meds which I had bagged up to throw out a long time ago and had never got round to it.

I opened the bag and found a packet of pills which I stopped taking due to strange side effects and thought 'I'll keep these, just in case'. Just in case of what? :wtf2

It was an insane thought. Fortunately I let it go and took the whole bag of stuff to the pharmacy for them to dispose of.

An assortment of bottle stoppers, bottle openers and corkscrews have also been binned and recycled.

....and today I let go of my one solitary wine glass. It was part of a masterplan. I had 6 of them and I ended up breaking 5 when I was drunk. I was even looking forward to drunkenly breaking the last one because I knew then I would have to give up alcohol then. I actually believed that having no wine glasses in the house would mean I wouldn't drink. I really was insane.

I did think that maybe I should keep the glass just in case :wtf2 someone else comes round to drink wine.

Anyway, in the very unlikely event that happens, they can drink out of a cup :rotfxko
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
We keep wine glasses in the house for guests, and I've kept a few nice beer mugs. Dunno why, cuz I hate looking at them and would prefer to drink out of something else!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Intention... Funny you should bring this up, the amount of wine glasses
we went through in our house was unreal, used to pick a six pack up well
every 2or3 months, and the breakin of glass was usually the result of being totally trashed, or fallen asleep drunk wit the glass in your hand! spillin the last glass that you greedily wanted down even though you were well past the point of further consumption.... Oh fond memories not, the pairs of bluish red denim unique desighner jeans tell it all haha.. :rotfxko
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Dasha

Originally Posted by dasha View Post
used to pick a six pack up well
every 2or3 months, and the breakin of glass was usually the result of being totally trashed, or fallen asleep drunk wit the glass in your hand!
This is the insane thing about it. The last glass out of a 6 pack was not the first 6 pack I had bought.........and I still believed that I would give up if it broke.

That glass had been staring at me for the last month. I no longer recognise the person who used it. It feels good to let it go. It wasn't anything special, only something from Tesco.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Intention, thanks for the good idea! I'm clearing out stuff in my place too. I gave away my two Lenox crystal wine glasses, but I have two champagne glasses and corkscrews also. I'll put them in the Goodwill bag.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who broke numerous wine glasses while drinking. Some were dropped, some thrown across the room, and unfortunately red wine is very hard to clean off of walls and carpets.

Wow, I'm glad to be sober today!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Indeed,for one terrible moment thought id triple posted that reply...Phwew then my lap
top crashed , speakin of wine an broken glasses a sign perhaps? only just got back
on, yes needles to say my wife still has the final glass which she is still using, before i
stopped 8 days ago.. I recall i was using a mug! yes excorcising the demons of drink
memorabillia.. A good thing, happy days.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think getting rid of glasses and other drinking-related stuff is a great idea.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reminds me of me and the corkscrews...towards the end not only did i pour all alcohol away every night (any that was left??!), destroy all cigs but also throw away the corkscrew and the glass that i had been drinking out of...

Then come the next afternoon, after the trip out to get my starter drinks of 6 beers and 2 bottles of wine, after several beers you would see me frantically searching for the corkscrew...realising i had thrown it out again, getting the tea towel, turning the fork upside down and pushing the cork into the bottle...almost everyday...now thats insane too!!!

Oh and one more, i would stagger up the road to buy a bottle of bacardi from this little bar in spain after my starter drinks, he spoke no english, i would chuck equivalent of $100 at him for his opened bottle of barardi, and some diet cokes, that he had behind the bar to serve normal clients...next morning if any was left i would walk back up with the bottle and give it back to him and say i dont want this and order a coffee...repeat every other night...wow...
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kept a marijuana pipe for my entire first year of sobriety, just in case I decided to relapse, so I wouldn't have to buy a new one! I wasn't planning on relapsing, and I didn't, but I had an odd emotional attachment to it, like I would be making a mistake if I threw it out. Well I forgot all about it and found it going through some stuff a few months ago and tossed it without thinking twice. Would it have been healthier to get rid of it at the beggining? Maybe so, but I wasn't ready. An addict's attachment to the mementos of their previous life are sometimes difficult to part with, like a picture of an old ex you keep stashed away, you never intend to see them ever again but there is a part of you who still misses them.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is kinda weird, but I kept the empty rum bottle from my last binge. Its not so much because of the fact that I would miss it, but more of a reminder of what got me to make the final decision to stop. I haven't even looked at it since maybe day 5 or 6 since it is stuffed in a cupboard to get it out of my way. Intention, I may follow your lead and throw it out.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

My first months of sobriety I kept an unopened jar of home made coffee liquor on my night stand. It was a punishment for me to see what I had lost the right to enjoy.

I don't really even feel like the same person anymore. . .
Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink my wine out of a plastic coffee cup, bigger than a wine glass and you couldn't tell I was drinking wine out of it (in case my kids saw me). I got rid of it cause I no longer need to lie, to myself or my kids.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In my last days of drinking, no glasses or corkscrews were needed.
Cheap wine out of the biggest boxes I could get, cheap Vodka out of the biggest plastic bottle and just like Least mentioned, travel mugs, coffee cups, anything that wouldn't give my secret away. Heck when done secretly with the hidden bottles, I didn't even bother using anything. Straight out of the bottle down the throat. What a pathetic existence I lead!?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Man am I glad I was a beer freak!!!! Sure I broke a few bottles, but I never broke them fancy wine glasses!!! LOL

I have been sober over 3 1/2 years now and still on occasion find an empty stashed away, I have not found a full one in over a year...... but I have not been out in the woods behind my house lately!!! LOL I know there are a few bags full of empties hanging around outside my back yard fence. Why? Being sober I have no reason to go out there... perhaps I should do a bit of out door cleaning.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i keep my wine glasses, and use them for my fizzy water with lime for sunday dinner. my beautiful little girl gave me a cordial glass for christmas, and i use it for juice

i guess for me, the letting go of things really is about the intangibles. i'm having to let go of the pain of some things, the anger of some things, and deal with them sober. aye aye aye!! what a ride!!!!

gg
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Reminds me of me and the corkscrews...towards the end not only did i pour all alcohol away every night (any that was left??!), destroy all cigs but also throw away the corkscrew and the glass that i had been drinking out of...

Then come the next afternoon, after the trip out to get my starter drinks of 6 beers and 2 bottles of wine, after several beers you would see me frantically searching for the corkscrew...realising i had thrown it out again, getting the tea towel, turning the fork upside down and pushing the cork into the bottle...almost everyday...now thats insane too!!!

Oh and one more, i would stagger up the road to buy a bottle of bacardi from this little bar in spain after my starter drinks, he spoke no english, i would chuck equivalent of $100 at him for his opened bottle of barardi, and some diet cokes, that he had behind the bar to serve normal clients...next morning if any was left i would walk back up with the bottle and give it back to him and say i dont want this and order a coffee...repeat every other night...wow...

No doubt that you are an alcoholic, lol

I've thrown a lot of wine down the sink. In the morning when I am hungover and then a few hours later I am out to buy some more.

Once I froze the leftover wine in ice cube trays because I saw Delia Smith telling me it was good for cooking with. So I just planned I would only use wine for cooking with........until a few weeks later when I could resist no longer and I had to put the frozen wine by the radiators so I could drink it. It was really horrible. I still drank it though.

I never took any leftover booze back to the shop though. That was a good plan
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No wine glases for me either

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Man am I glad I was a beer freak!!!! Sure I broke a few bottles, but I never broke them fancy wine glasses!!! LOL
Yeah, same here. I need to get rid of all my beer glases and mugs. I quit using them after I was wearing flip flops and droped one of those huge heavy as all get out put like 3 1/2 beers mug on my toe and broke it.
I guess the only thing I cannot get rid of is my alc/drug tattoo though......
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Resident

I used to have an extensive collection of drinking T-shirts that I got rid of at the suggestion of someone here. It used to be part of my persona. How sick is that????
Now my favorite T-shirts are all age related. Old Guyz Rule!!! is one of them.
Never used beer mugs. I was a bottle baby.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post! I think its very interesting that a lot of us are so afraid to let go of the remnants of the past.
-I have a collection of near 40 some shot glasses I don't want to throw away that are -sitting in my kitchen now. What am I gonna use shot glasses for now!?
- My girlfriend (non alcoholic) just had a recent birthday at our place and people brought her flavored vodkas, wine, etc. She barely drinks and doesn't want them , and I'm not gonna drink em. Yet I would feel wrong pouring them down the drain.

At what point should we throw these things out? i mean... they are technically worth money, right? Or am I just subconciously holdng on to them to relapse with?