Notices

Daily Routine

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Routine

Hey all..

Just seeing of anyone has wisdom to share... I dislike routine........I have a problem with routine....and it seems im not unique in that because ive heard the same thing mentioned as a challenge in the AA rooms..

However I really need it in order to keep focused on my recovery..

How did you get routine into what had previously been a very disorderly life? How did you keep up the motivation to continue that routine? What helped?

Ta )
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I can't really answer your question because I love routine.
My life is a complete routine from morning to night.
The thing I had to do is change my routine to take out the drinking part and replace it with something else.
I haven't figured out what that should be yet so here I am filling that time by posting and reading at SR.
I should find some other activity for the time slots but then I would have to change my routine.
This is something that I don't like to do.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I sorta had a routine. I was utterly useless so my sponsor had me do a to-do list everyday.

So, the routine can be a to-do list. The list itself can vary. I had to have AA or Recovery contact everyday in addition to a meeting. So, contact was contact but how I did it varied.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm not a big fan of routine either, but it was a matter of life or death to me, so I need to change and refine my routine as the need arises too. My daily routine goes something like this...

Wake up, read the bible or recovery material while I eat breakfast, pray and meditate throughout the day.

Go to work, post on SR, call others in recovery. Share my ES&H with anyone who will listen and reaches out.

Leave work, go to an AA, CoDA, or Celebrate Recovery meeting. Do service work as much as possible, help another alcoholic.

Go home, be an example of my recovery to my family. Read more recovery material before bedtime. Get a good nights sleep.

So what this really translates into is...... Wake up sober, do whatever it takes during the day to stay sober, go to bed sober. Rinse, repeat It's worked for almost 5 years so I'll continue to work it.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by mlleb View Post

Just seeing of anyone has wisdom to share... I dislike routine........I have a problem with routine....and it seems im not unique in that because ive heard the same thing mentioned as a challenge in the AA rooms..
Yes, this is typical of us alcoholics - from the BB p88

We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined
This particular line follows just after the instructions for Step 11. I have found following these instructions at night, morning and during the day as outlined in the book, very helpful to get me into the routine. It has become habit now.

btw, many times when drinking I tried to discipline myself and make routines by making lists, marking calenders, having plans......and none of them worked. Self-will never worked for me.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get up, pray up, dress up, show up, shut up.

The rest falls into place for me.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i've got something out of all those replies, thanks

@Intention, yeah I think if i'm honest I like routine until it goes against my self will, like if something doesnt feel as easy or as good as it usually does I quickly become impatient with it..

Thanks Astro for outlining your average day...there were parts in that gave me ideas...wonderful to get to ask so many people in recovery
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like routine, in fact, I love routine.

I think it's part of being a control-freak. I want to know what comes next and when.

Even drinking, I still kept to a routine.

So, for me, recovery meant changing my routine, and though that was hard initially, it didn't take long before I fell into the new routine.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the topic - I loathe routine but have had to develop one in sobriety. I was in an outpatient recovery program for a while and they had us write out a daily schedule, accounting for and writing plans for each hour block. It wasn't necessary to follow the schedule exactly, the point was just to provide us with some structure.

Regardless of how you develop your own routine, I definitely agree with those who say start the day with reading, prayer, and meditation. It will set the tone for the rest of your day.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I must be a control freak too LOL - I'm undisciplined in a lot of ways - still...but I've always loved my routine

I think Astro has it right - it needn't be anymore complicated than that

Wake up sober, do whatever it takes during the day to stay sober, go to bed sober. Rinse, repeat
D
Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Progressive Metal Vocalist

I too, love routine. And, disruptions in my routine cause me to want to drink
it's almost to OCD levels
overly mechanized
Old 02-02-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too like routine and depend on it to keep my days 'orderly'. Only difference now that I'm sober is that I can honor committments without being too drunk or hungover to participate. I no longer waste time on drinking, but am awake and aware enough to get thru my day with no regrets. I like knowing what's going on in my days and being able to get thru them without the interruption alcohol causes.