Has anyone else been here?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Has anyone else been here?

Has anyone else been with an alcoholic who was sober 3 or any years before they even met and has been sober through the entire relationship, but is only now after many years showing their "alcoholic self"? It's really hard for me to "relate" to everyone who is living with an active / or recently active drinker, but my sober for 20 years partner is acting just like this now for the first time and i get a lot out of this site and the advice and wisdom, but has anyone else been with the sober alcoholic who then starts acting out all the alcoholic stuff they never did before - and if so, how did you deal?? oh, and she's still not drinking, actual drinking not the issue.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sober 20 years......there are many reasons why a person would act in such a manner. If you are talking dry drunk...then meetings and step work may help among others things.

When I was involved with alcoholics I went to alanon. It proved very helpful because I knew I ran the risk of getting enveloped in my partner's behavior.

To be frank, I simply could not afford to go down with the ship; as it were. I needed to maintain my sobriety, equanimity and position in the relationship. I needed to take care of myself.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

have you posted your question/scenario on the Alcoholism forum for perspective and feedback on your situation?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG Learn2Live - what a GREAT idea - never occurred to me. THANK YOU THANK YOU
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.